Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round CB-A | Matt Krook | LHP | St. Ignatius HS (CA) | WILL NOT SIGN/FAILED PHYSICAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, he pretty much already said he wanted to sign. Just a matter of the price, I guess.

"I love Oregon, love the coaches up there, but I think at this point I'm ready to play pro ball," Krook said. "I just want to get my career started. Both me and [advisor Matt Sosnick] knew what it would take to decide and it fell in the range."

To me that sounds like he'll sign for the slot money.

Comment

This guy is a crook.
      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

@jcrasnick: Pitcher Matt Krook, 35th pick in draft, has decided not to sign with #marlins and will attend University of Oregon.
        Twitter

Comment

Bummer.

Comment

Do we get the 35th pick in next years draft or something?

Comment

They do not get that pick back next year because it was a Competitive Balance pick. Heck of a screw up.
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Mother Fucker

Comment

WOW

What makes this really terrible is we got this pick in a trade (Gaby).

And while yeah, "just Gaby", he's actually doing well this year (130 OPS+, which would be the best OPS+ on our team) and so we traded him for nothing and Gorkys (that's a bit redundant)

Comment

What a waste of the Sanchez trade.

I was excited that we picked him because he was ranked a late first round value. If the player was going to be hard to sign, you don't draft him with a pick you get in a trade for a decent player.
                    Last edited by dim; 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

The kid said he was ready to commit to pro ball and then backed out, what can you do.

Btw, we get the 36th overall pick in 2014 according to Joe Frisaro.

Comment

Better to know we get a pick next year back, but damn if I didn't like this kid's chances of being really good.

Comment

Can someone other than Frisaro confirm we get a pick next year?

Comment

hopefully I heard wrong.
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

We also can't spend the assigned value of the pick now. So subtract $1.588 mil from our draft pool.

If a team fails to sign a player in the first 10 rounds, its draft cap is reduced by the assigned value of his pick. It can't reallocate that value to sign other players. However, it can reallocate the difference between a player's bonus and the value of his choice.
                              http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...-from-the-cba/

Comment

4(c)(2) Supplemental Selections. If a Major League Club selects a player before the fourth round of a First-Year Player Draft (other than a player selected with a supplemental selection pursuant to this Rule 4(c)(2)) and such Club fails to sign such player before such player is removed from such Club’s Negotiation List pursuant to Rule 4(d)(3) or 4(d)(4) (Effect of Selection on Player), then such Club shall have the right to make an additional selection, called a supplemental selection, in the next First-Year Player Draft, as follows:

(A) If the unsigned player had been selected before the third round of the First-Year Player Draft, the supplemental selection awarded shall be exercised immediately after the numbered position overall that corresponds with the numbered position overall at which the unsigned player had been selected in the previous First-Year Player Draft. For example, if the unsigned player had been the 30th selection in the First Year Player's draft, the supplemental selection awarded shall be the 31st selection in the next First-Year Player Draft.
                                I think Frisario is right. And I'm sure he does his due diligence and asked someone in organization before writing the article. Maybe thats to much credit. I found this in the 2008 MLB PBA, which I think is what is most recent.

The situation where the pick is denied in the future is if they don't sign a player pursuant to a draft pick given by Rule4C2. i.e., if they don't sign pick 36 next year they don't get to try again. The rule does not contemplate a selection awarded from a free agent leaving or a competitive balance pick. Only ones awarded from Rule4C2. As this is clearly not a Rule4C2 pick (awarded competitive balance from Pitt) and before the 4th round, unless some other provision applies, I think they get it back next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X