The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Party View Post
    I don't think MLB has a problem with cord-cutters. It's definitely the league best equipped to enter the age of cord-cutters. MLBAM is one of the best videostreaming providers in the world. The RSNs and cable providers are behind.

It has a marketing problem which stems from a variety of things including pace of play and stars.

At the end of the day it's very difficult to determine whether someone overpaid or underpaid for a MLB. There are only 30 in existence and heavily sought after.
    I use MLB TV its amazing. This yr especially. There hasn't been a buffer at all. Its also the most economical pro sports package to buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      How do cord cutters watch baseball? Fox Sports Go and things like that?
      Ya, or MLB.tv. You can do a single team subscription for pretty cheap.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• The latest reports are saying the Bush/Jeter group is having difficulty raising the money needed to complete the sale.

Comment

• Does MLB.TV not have blackouts anymore?

But yeah, Fox Sports Go was how I did it. I use sister's cable login, she uses my netflix login, so it still wasn't full cord cutting.

Pre-fox sports go, I used those streaming sites but those were poop 99% of the time

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Party View Post
          I don't think MLB has a problem with cord-cutters. It's definitely the league best equipped to enter the age of cord-cutters. MLBAM is one of the best videostreaming providers in the world. The RSNs and cable providers are behind.
          I don't think MLB does, but teams that did not take advantage of the TV contract bubble will (like the marlins)

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            How do cord cutters watch baseball? Fox Sports Go and things like that?
            With MLB.TV....it's how I watch a lot

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            The All Star Game and HR Derby will sell out easily

Everyone is just waiting for when there are other options beyond buying the strip
            I thought someone said ASG tix are lagging in sales. True they will probably sell out by gameday, but in most cities they would already be gone....months ago.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            The latest reports are saying the Bush/Jeter group is having difficulty raising the money needed to complete the sale.
            I was afraid of this......

Comment

• JEB! is out

http://wsvn.com/sports/ap-source-jeb...uying-marlins/
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Jeb wasnt the money in that group anyways. Anyone is better than Loria but I wasnt exactly exciting to have a team with the co-face of the ownership group was Jeb Bush. Jeter is still reportedly in.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                  Jeb is out because it seems u can't be managing partner if u only have 20 million invested. Jeter already has another partner-some NY Hedge Fund Guy

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                    Loria clearly wants his $1.3 billion....that is a $500 to $600 million overspend, especially with the TV rights $ about to run out. He'll be too stubborn to sell high.

- - - - - - - - - -

I agree and I can't see why anyone would spend that kind of money on this team, it's a losing proposition. Baseball has a real problem keeping relevant in the next 10 years unless they act soon to embrace cord-cutters.
                    He's one greedy mofo.

Comment

• Manfred has suggested that a sale could be completed before the trade deadline.

Though it's also reported that neither lead group has the full amount needed to complete the sale....

Per Gasparino, both groups are still “hundreds of millions” of dollars short of the reported $1.3 billion asking price for the Marlins, which has tabled the bidding war for the time being. Other potential buying groups, according to Gasparino, want current owner Jeffrey Loria to lower his asking price to roughly $900MM. Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald cites a source in echoing Gasparino’s point that both groups are well shy of the $1.3 billion threshold.

Jackson also notes that Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred appeared on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM with Craig Mish and Jim Bowden, telling the pair that he’s confident a sale of the Marlins will be completed in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

According to Manfred, there’s been an “amazing” amount of interest in purchasing the Marlins, though the Jeter and Romney/Glavine groups are indeed the two front-runners and the two likeliest groups to complete a sale. The commissioner stated that is is “convinced the Marlins are going to sell” before suggesting that he is optimistic of a deal being reached sooner rather than later. Asked about the possibility of needing to consult with new owners before the trade deadline, Manfred replied: “I am hoping we get some clarity well before the trading deadline. … It would be best for all concerned if we got to point where we know who the new owner would be before that happens so they have some input in that process.”
                      More at the link (including links within that article):

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...e-marlins.html

Comment

• I don't have an article to link to/quote, as I was listening to it on TV, but Charlie Gasparino is reporting that MLB had a meeting on the Marlins' sale. It was determined that none of the revealed bidders (thus far) have enough money to complete the sale.

He did, however, say that there's a new mystery bidder - it's reportedly a South Florida billionaire businessman; it's also possible that Jeter could join said mystery bidder.

Comment

• Mystery Bidder is Jorge Mas

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...157882434.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Mas

Mas is the Chairman of the Board and Co-Founder of MasTec and Cuban. He also has enough cash to cover what baseball wants.
                          Last edited by tjfla; 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• No Mas.

Comment

• Jeb! has joined the Romney group.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...157927594.html

If Jeter and Mas were to join forces it would be the perfect scenario from a PR standpoint. Jeter has baseball cred and Mas has the Miami cred. Mas' father was one of the most beloved and respected figures in the Cuban exile community.

Comment

• Well its 3 groups into 1 Supergroup VS Jorge Mas

The 3 Groups were Jeb,Tagg Romney and "The Money" Wayne Rothbaum. Rothbaum is set to get 7 Billion soon however he really isn't interested in baseball. Well those 3 groups joined up and just got the guy from the profit Marcus Lemonis to join. Imagine a whole season of the Miami Marlins on "The Profit" it could be the best show on TV. Least it sounds like this guy knows his role. Get spanish sponsors and spanish players to make it a "Hometown Team"

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...158251264.html

Says Rothbaum would run the ship. Not sure how I feel about another guy running the team who isn't interested in baseball but least this guy has cash. Not sure why they need Jeb's $10 bucks but long as none of these idiots are named President or GM who cares
                                Last edited by tjfla; 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X