Under New Management: The Jeter Group Transition Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    It's not really fair that this group is being judged so harshly before they have even had a single press conference. They have to be approved by MLB, and Manfred has said the next ownership group has to be able to operate the team properly. So I have to think that before they approve the deal, they'll make sure they aren't getting another Loria situation.

I also don't think Jeter is going to put himself in a situation where he's going to look like a failure...it would be terrible for his brand (and MLB) and why would he waste his time?

I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt until they actually give me a reason not to. Loria is leaving a giant mess and they'll have to make some tough decisions. But if they have a good plan that makes sense, I'm willing to see where it goes.

I ageee 100%. They haven't had the official sale of the team presser and we're already BURYING our fingernails in their back.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      I ageee 100%. They haven't had the official sale of the team presser and we're already BURYING our fingernails in their back.
      The problem is that any new ownership group is looked upon with skepticism because of what previous owners have done - I'm hopeful, but skeptical, when 1) it seems they had trouble cobbling together the money to buy the team in the first place - that doesn't bode well for having the money to run the team day to day, especially if Jeter is going to pay himself $5M/year off the bat, and 2) the first reports about their plan are slashing payroll potentially in half immediately.

I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but red flags are at the bottom of the flag pole and there's a guy with the rope to raise them, already. We'll see I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        The problem is that any new ownership group is looked upon with skepticism because of what previous owners have done - I'm hopeful, but skeptical, when 1) it seems they had trouble cobbling together the money to buy the team in the first place - that doesn't bode well for having the money to run the team day to day, especially if Jeter is going to pay himself $5M/year off the bat, and 2) the first reports about their plan are slashing payroll potentially in half immediately.

I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but red flags are at the bottom of the flag pole and there's a guy with the rope to raise them, already. We'll see I guess.
        I hear you...Living through 18 years of Loria will make anyone skeptical...but #1, despite how long it took for them to get the money together, they must have it or it will not be approved...and they'll have to be able to properly operate the team or they won't get approved. I have to think that since it has gotten this far, they have the money for both.

And #2, the reports about the payroll aren't really their fault either. They'll soon have to answer questions about this both from MLB (apparently next week) and then the media/fans once they are approved...but until then, it doesn't seem right to lump them in with the likes of Loria.

Comment

I hear you...Living through 18 years of Loria will make anyone skeptical...but #1, despite how long it took for them to get the money together, they must have it or it will not be approved...and they'll have to be able to properly operate the team or they won't get approved. I have to think that since it has gotten this far, they have the money for both.

And #2, the reports about the payroll aren't really their fault either. They'll soon have to answer questions about this both from MLB (apparently next week) and then the media/fans once they are approved...but until then, it doesn't seem right to lump them in with the likes of Loria.
          Well, Loria was "able to 'properly' operate the team" too (enough to be approved anyway), and we see how that worked out.

But perhaps it's good such a report comes out now before they're approved so that it can be better questioned in the approval process.

Comment

Loria was able to get by for so long because he had the stadium excuse to fall back on for years. Also, Selig installed him as owner, so he had that going for him. But really, for all the talk about payroll, the biggest problem with Loria as an owner was he meddled in every baseball decision. Maybe had he let his baseball people do their jobs, he'd be viewed differently here despite the low payrolls.

Comment

Loria was able to get by for so long because he had the stadium excuse to fall back on for years. Also, Selig installed him as owner, so he had that going for him. But really, for all the talk about payroll, the biggest problem with Loria as an owner was he meddled in every baseball decision. Maybe had he let his baseball people do their jobs, he'd be viewed differently here despite the low payrolls.
              I can agree with that. It does seem like just about every single free agent signing that was orchestrated by Loria was a major bust.

Comment

Here is the latest from Heyman. Jeter/Sherman meet with the MLB ownership committee next week and present their plan.

This says that the plan would be to cut payroll to the $85 million range, which is a lot easier to swallow than the $55 million figure.

https://www.fanragsports.com/marlins...s-left-answer/
                85 million range is WITH Stanton(Minor Rebuild)

55 million range is trading Stanton then getting rid of Gordon and trying to package Tazawa/Prado with Bour,Ozuna or Yelich(Total Rebuild)

The line in that article that shows why they don't care who owns the team as long as its not Jeff is MLB’s other owners haven’t been thrilled to send revenue sharing monies to the Marlins, and would love to see those checks reduced, or even eliminated. They got sick of sending over 100 million a year to Miami only for him to claim he was poor and stick the cash in his pocket instead of spending it on baseball

- - - - - - - - - -

I can agree with that. It does seem like just about every single free agent signing that was orchestrated by Loria was a major bust.
                FA Signing,Trade and Cash involved decision actually

For example we still have about 2.25 million left for IFA which is alot in the new market(Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers have tons but are saving for Otani)however instead of Jeff spending it he is keeping the cash in his pocket and telling Jeter he can spend it if he wants. 16 yr old Cuban arm Roberto Hernandez just signed for 320K

Can't wait till we are trying to get more IFA cash instead of just sitting on it
                Last edited by tjfla; 09-07-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  85 million range is WITH Stanton(Minor Rebuild)

55 million range is trading Stanton then getting rid of Gordon and trying to package Tazawa/Prado with Bour,Ozuna or Yelich(Total Rebuild)

The line in that article that shows why they don't care who owns the team as long as its not Jeff is MLB’s other owners haven’t been thrilled to send revenue sharing monies to the Marlins, and would love to see those checks reduced, or even eliminated. They got sick of sending over 100 million a year to Miami only for him to claim he was poor and stick the cash in his pocket instead of spending it on baseball

- - - - - - - - - -

FA Signing,Trade and Cash involved decision actually

For example we still have about 2.25 million left for IFA which is alot in the new market(Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers have tons but are saving for Otani)however instead of Jeff spending it he is keeping the cash in his pocket and telling Jeter he can spend it if he wants. 16 yr old Cuban arm Roberto Hernandez just signed for 320K

Can't wait till we are trying to get more IFA cash instead of just sitting on it
                  Well, maybe we can keep the revenue sharing (for now), but actually spend it.

Comment

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...171738137.html

Looks like Jeter will only be the baseball guy while Sherman will bring over one of his guys to be the CEO for the business side. Like rumored alot of the owners demanded this because Jeter has no business experience

- - - - - - - - - -

Well, maybe we can keep the revenue sharing (for now), but actually spend it.
                    Well they got 50 million in revenue sharing(no clue how much they are getting in new CBA but they are still going to get it)

50 million revenue sharing per year
                    20 million tv deal per year

70 million of "free" cash every year to use on payroll,scouting(draft/IFA) or in Jeff's case 25 million for his executives

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/estim...-30-mlb-teams/

Last year each team also got another 100+ million from the digital deal

- - - - - - - - - -

The thing people don't get about the 55 million dollar payroll thing is it will only be like that for a few years and the reason is its a rebuild number.Its not like Jeff when the payroll was low because he didn't wanna spend the cash. They wanna start from scratch like SD/Houston did with new owners and by 2020/21 those young guys will be getting extensions and all. From the talk they want a 100+ million payroll just not 100+ million payroll and a rebuild together. We will learn alot more about the "plan" Sept 13 but at this point they are planning to just use the 70-80 million of "free" cash until they get a new TV deal,stadium naming rights and rebrand the team. Means 55 million for payroll and 15-25 million on IFA/Draft and other needs(pay Jeter 5 million a year for 5 years)

I still would have preferred Mas who would have done a 100+million payroll and a rebuild together. He could care less about $ numbers but on brightside Jeff is gone come Nov

Volquez and Chen can't be dealt but,Ziegler and Tazawa aren't as difficult as people think. The plan mentioned has been to put them in deals with bigger names like Bour,Ozuna and Yelich.
                    Last edited by tjfla; 09-07-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Considering Ziegler and Tazawa will only have 1 year left on their deals, it isn't worth attaching them to Yelich/Bour/Ozuna. They can get rid of Ziegler...he has value, but will have to throw in a few million in cash. I think there'd be a market for Gordon...and perhaps Prado, but he may need a good first half to rebuild his value. Tazawa will be tougher, but again, his money will be gone in a year. If they can dump Chen on someone by attaching Yelich or Ozuna, I can see them looking at that though.

Lots of tough choices, but they should have multiple options for cleaning up this mess.

Comment

Working...
                      X