• Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
      Anyone would trade Lester for Yelich? I'd never ever consider doing that. Trading Yelich would create a even bigger hole on the team.
      Ew.

Comment

I don't think anyone wants to involve Yelich in a trade for Lester.

Hugg, you make an excellent point about the value of a playoff appearance for this franchise.

Because you realize this, it's my medical opinion you don't have Battered Wife Syndrome but I fear there are a handful of posters here who are in the advanced stages.

Comment

Is there anyone who thinks a playoff appearance wouldn't be valuable for this franchise?

Like, literally any people on this board?
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Is there anyone who thinks a playoff appearance wouldn't be valuable for this franchise?

Like, literally any people on this board?
            A playoff appearance would be more valuable to the 2014 Marlins than it would be to a perennial playoff squad like the Braves.
            --------------------
            I hope you get that.

I think you will.
            Last edited by Namaste; 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post

A playoff appearance would be more valuable to the 2014 Marlins than it would be to a perennial playoff squad like the Braves.
              --------------------
              I hope you get that.

I think you will.
              You didn't answer my question, friendo.
              --------------------
              Like, do you really think there are people on this board who don't think a playoff appearance would mean more to the 2014 Marlins than the 2014 Braves? Do you think this is some deep mystery only you and a select few have seen the light on?

The question isn't whether making the playoffs would be incredibly valuable. It would be, and everyone agrees on that. It is whether trading for two months of Jon Lester is worth trading players who can help past two months, given how low the chances of actually making the playoffs are.

The upside of a Lester trade is incredibly high, but the chances of seeing that upside are incredibly low.
              --------------------
              Baseball Prospectus has the Marlins ninth in the National League in playoff odds, at ~5%. This is a .500 team with a negative run differential that still has to jump four teams to have a one-game shot at making the playoffs.

Thinking it might not be worth trading every asset you have for two months of Jon Lester probably doesn't make you analogous to a victim of serial domestic abuse.
              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-30-2014, 10:45 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

Let's pretend you didn't say friendo.

I thought the tremendous value of a Marlins playoff appearance could be lost a few people. My bad, I didn't know everyone here was on the same page in that regard.

Putting Lester aside for a moment, I'm pro big move more than I am pro-Lester.

This organization has no future. You can't mortgage a future that does not exist.

Stanton. He gon. Fernandez. He gon. The FO has no game plan for the future because there is no future. Please stop saying we have to save assets for the non-existent future.

If Loria can somehow make a big move in the next 24 hours or so (doesn't have to be Lester), the 4 game WC deficit and 4 teams they have to jump become far less imposing.
                --------------------
                We'll probably sign Eulogio de la Cruz after this discussion.
                Last edited by Namaste; 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

My question is.... Who you gon trade for Lester? Other than Heaney they ain't got much that Boston would want.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    Let's pretend you didn't say friendo.

I thought the tremendous value of a Marlins playoff appearance could be lost a few people. My bad, I didn't know everyone here was on the same page in that regard.

Putting Lester aside for a moment, I'm pro big move more than I am pro-Lester.

This organization has no future. You can't mortgage a future that does not exist.

Stanton. He gon. Fernandez. He gon. The FO has no game plan for the future because there is no future. Please stop saying we have to save assets for the non-existent future.
                    I suppose the question becomes, "Do you think Stanton is gone this offseason?"

If you think he is, then yeah, go for it right now. Because there's no chance they're .500 at this point next year without Stanton.

I agree, Stanton is gone eventually. I don't think it happens this offseason, so they probably have a better chance of making a run next season than they do right now. they can shore up the holes on the roster in the offseason and maybe make a big move in January that gives them an actual full season of an impact player.

This doesn't even have to be about "The future." It can be about "2015." There's no reason to think this team is so close right now that it is their only realistic chance within the next calendar year.

I tend to think you don't make the big move in July to just take a shot, you make the big move in July to bolster an already strong team. This is not that. This team would still need a lot to go right after trading for Lester.
                    poop

Comment

Working...
                    X