An Early Look Into Free Agency For 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
    You still think Stanton is an "outstanding" OFer right? Lol.
    I don't get it.

For nearly every player in the game, we tend to use stats to determine just how good a guy is. They're not perfect, but it's probably the best thing we have.

Why is it stupid to say that Stanton is very good in RF when it can be statistically supported?

And just because Coghlan is improving doesn't mean that he's not been below average. It's hard to not improve from his first year when he was basically horrible. Not to mention that it's questionable whether his bat can consistently play in the big leagues right now, anyway.
    Last edited by Erick; 07-31-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I'd be lying if I didn't believe at some point the Marlins would think about moving Stanton to centerfield.

Comment

I think those metrics are not very good. Therefore, I don't care what they have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          I say "no" because it's not going to happen. He doesn't fit what the organization wants from CFers, and because while I think he's better than Mainge and the rest give him credit for in RF, I think the problems they have with him would only be exasperated in CF and his speed wouldn't make up for them like they do in RF.
          A lot of the other ideas being thrown out in this thread are probably not going to happen, either.

I also think it's close-minded to give something an automatic no when it hasn't even been tested yet. Unless if you're just bad, like Coghlan was in CF.

Either way, how bad can he be, anyway? Isn't it all about actual value anyway? Even if he's below average out there, his bat will still make him extremely valuable. What would you project Stanton's WAR to be in CF? Is it impossible that the idea can make the team better?

Comment

The more premium a position, the less you need a quality bat to "play."

If your position is Coghlan is a so-so hitter, CF is his 'best' position then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
              I think he'd be bad, yes. I think him and LoMo together would really magnify their ineptitude.

If we got a kickass RFer and wanted to maximize his value, whatever. If it's LoMo-Stanton-asshole, fuck off.
              That's basically my point.
              I guess I understand why you think J.D. Drew = fuck off, because he has sucked this year. That's certainly fair.

Still, it's easier to acquire a productive corner OF bat than it is to acquire a productive CF'er.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                I don't get it.

And just because Coghlan is improving doesn't mean that he's not been below average. It's hard to not improve from his first year when he was basically horrible. Not to mention that it's questionable whether his bat can consistently play in the big leagues right now, anyway.
                Didn't you once say that Coghlan is a good CFer or that the stats showed that he was a good CFer or that the stats WOULD show that he was a good CFer? I feel like at least one of those happened.

Comment

I really hope the plan of the offseason is to get 2 staters: one a veteran LHP #4 and somewhat competent option to compete with Volstad for the #5 spot. And one bat at one of CF/3B/2B, and fill in the 2 other spots with Dominguez/Coghlan/Bonifacio.

Also please dont resign Helms.
                  Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                  Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                  Tom Koehler(4-0)
                  AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                    Didn't you once say that Coghlan is a good CFer or that the stats showed that he was a good CFer or that the stats WOULD show that he was a good CFer? I feel like at least one of those happened.
                    I never once said that the stats showed Coghlan to be a good CF.

They did at one point show him to be above average but the sample was extremely small, and I did point that out. Plenty of people pointed that out.

Edit: And Coghlan's offense/nagging injuries have also been a disappointment since that discussion occurred. Things don't stay the same forever. Players can be evaluated differently as time goes on. I really don't know why you think that if someone said something about a player once, that opinion must stay the same forever. The Marlins thought Cameron Maybin would be their CF'er of the future once. Until they evaluated him as an inconsistent player without options and quickly traded him for two middle relievers. Shit happens.
                    --------------------
                    Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                    The more premium a position, the less you need a quality bat to "play."

If your position is Coghlan is a so-so hitter, CF is his 'best' position then.
                    No, that is not the way it works.
                    Last edited by Erick; 07-31-2011, 10:28 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

haha someone in this thread said JD Drew. I'd rather have Peanut then that shithead Drew.

Comment

sounds about right
                        --------------------
                        also, why is JD Drew a shithead?

or are we going back to something from 13 years ago?
                        Last edited by Ramp; 07-31-2011, 11:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Fip is a Phillies

Comment

Who is peanut?
                            poop

Comment

JayPee

Comment

Coghlan was a -5 in DRS, I'd say he's pretty bad considering how long he played there.

Comment

Working...
                                X