Marlins First to Adopt Advertisements on Jerseys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins First to Adopt Advertisements on Jerseys

Advertisements. They’re everywhere in sports: on scoreboards, in the programs, and announced during the game. Thanks to the Marlins, you can now add one more place for advertisements: on jerseys.

Players on the Marlins will wear a small logo advertisement on their jersey sleeve beginning as early as next week. The first set of ads will feature a small logo for Miccosukee Resort & Gaming, with whom the Marlins have had a long-standing relationship. In 2003, the Marlins made history by placing large Miccosukee ads on their outfield wall, the first of their kind. Now, ads on outfield walls are commonplace.

Rules stipulate that advertisements not appear on players’ uniforms, but those rules are not enforced strictly. For example, the uniform manufacturer’s logo always appears on their equipment. But how did the Marlins pull this one off and get the MLB rules committee to agree? With a catch, of course: the ads will only appear on their batting practice jerseys. As most fans know, however, the Marlins frequently use their alternates in regular games as well, particularly highly-watched and attended weekend games, and in such situations those advertisements will, indeed, be on the sleeve.

It isn’t the first time Major League Baseball has experimented with logos on uniforms. In three different season-opening series in Japan over the years, teams have worn logos on both their helmets and their jerseys. But no logo has ever appeared stateside.

Last month, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said that advertisements on jerseys were “inevitable” in the future, noting that it “makes good business sense.” According to sources, the Marlins’ ad deal was in the works prior to those comments.

“For us, it’s always about finding new revenue sources,” explained Marlins team president David Samson. “Being a small market team, we have always been looking for innovative opportunities to grow our revenue stream, from being the first team with ads on the outfield wall to being the first team with tickets on Groupon.”

Of course, when it comes to the Marlins and money, fans are quick to have a swift reaction. On Twitter, the response was rough, claiming the Marlins were simply doing this to further pad their pockets. But Samson disagreed.

“Overall, we expect this to be a very unobtrusive way to add some more payroll flexibility so that we can continue to put the best field on the team. Period. It’s not anything we’re going to get rich from. It’s two-and-a-half inches big.”

Luckily for the Marlins, this is a topic that has been in the press lately, and they aren’t likely to be outliers in the trend to expand advertising dollars as much as possible.

“Some people would say we’re innovators,” Samson said through a smile. “By next year, I’d bet ten teams have similar ads.” For now, however, the Marlins stand alone.
    http://marlinmaniac.com/2014/04/01/m...ements-jersey/
    Last edited by emkayseven; 04-01-2014, 07:20 AM.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Of course.

Comment

must be the money
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

This is foolish

Comment

Ugh...I hate the Internet on April 1st...

Comment

Marlin maniac didnt break this kinda-not-news-anyway news?

Comment

Y'all fall for Mc7's shit every year

Comment

Should have done a Stanton contract but I guess no one would believe that.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                  Ugh...I hate the Internet on April 1st...
                  I know. People messing with each other once a year for a couple of laughs. It's a HORRIBLE thing to go through.

Comment

I for one welcome our new advertisement overlords.

Comment

Semi-related, why haven't we been able to sell the naming rights to the stadium? I just find it odd that during our time at Joe Robbie it had about 3 million different sponsored names, and we're into our 3rd season and the place is still called Marlins Park. I would think our money-grubbing FO would have made it All My Sons Moving and Storage Park by now.

Comment

I was thinking that last night. Stadium rights were once big money and now with all the TV money it pales in comparison. If I had to guess, due to the shitty play and bad track record companies don't want to pay a lot, and The Jeffrey Group would rather keep it named Marlins Park than take the lowball offer of maybe less than a million per season. Plus, sponsors are usually locked in long term, and maybe the Marlins see that locking in a long term deal at the wrong time can suck ass (see: TV deal). So perhaps they're content passing on an extra 750k or so a year and waiting it out.

Again, just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          I was thinking that last night. Stadium rights were once big money and now with all the TV money it pales in comparison. If I had to guess, due to the shitty play and bad track record companies don't want to pay a lot, and The Jeffrey Group would rather keep it named Marlins Park than take the lowball offer of maybe less than a million per season. Plus, sponsors are usually locked in long term, and maybe the Marlins see that locking in a long term deal at the wrong time can suck ass (see: TV deal). So perhaps they're content passing on an extra 750k or so a year and waiting it out.

Again, just a guess.
                          I seem to remember a while back reading something about them not getting the deal they were looking for, so they were keeping it Marlins Park for now (until they get the deal they want, presumably).

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            I know. People messing with each other once a year for a couple of laughs. It's a HORRIBLE thing to go through.

I just don't find any of it particularly funny or clever. But if you like it, by all means, enjoy the day.

Comment

Working...
                            X