Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Rea, though, entered the 2015 season as the Padres’ No. 4 prospect at MLB.com and No. 7 prospect at Baseball America. Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com noted at the time that the new Padres regime considered Rea to be a pleasant surprise, as he’d added velocity to his fastball, more power to his curveball and also improved his command.
    Perhaps the thinking is that Benedict can correct some of the issues he's had this season.

Comment

I actually like Rea, he probably does need some tweaking, but he's controlled through 2021.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Cashner has a -1.2 War over the last 2 years according to ESPN and is a 5th starter and free agent after the year and Cosart sucks. My biggest gripe is not giving up the players, it's that giving up the players was completely avoidable if this ownership would do the bare minimum that a major league team should be doing salary wise when we spent tax payer dollars to build them a new ballpark.
      2.5 WAR over the last 2 years according to Fangraphs.

Comment

clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 2m2 minutes ago
        In addition to Naylor, #Marlins will be sending at least one player from their big league roster to Padres for Cashner and Rea.

Comment

Originally posted by McLevin View Post
          In addition to Naylor, #Marlins will be sending at least one player from their big league roster to Padres for Cashner and Rea.
          Mike Dunn?!

Comment

Frisaro is the man!!! Everyone knows about the deal but 4 mins ago he finally sends his first tweet out in 9 hrs to "CONFIRM" HAHA

Comment

I'm sure its no one notable, but fucking yikes.

I did think they were going to trade Naylor to get a #2/3 SP (Shoemaker?), and then use that as an excuse to trade Fernandez in 1+ year and "recover" the prospect loss in that deal, but this just is baffling. Don't you get 1 good SP rather than the husk of Andrew Cashner's potential and the new Tom Koehler?

Hope I'm wrong. They are better than I expected this year, so they'll get the benefit of the doubt until September. Good luck Benedict.

Comment

Joe FrisaroVerified account
                ‏@JoeFrisaro
                Can confirm #Marlins on verge of acquiring Cashner/Rea from #Padres for Naylor, and hearing deal is bigger than this.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post

I did think they were going to trade Naylor to get a #2/3 SP (Shoemaker?), and then use that as an excuse to trade Fernandez in 1+ year and "recover" the prospect loss in that deal, but this just is baffling. Don't you get 1 good SP rather than the husk of Andrew Cashner's potential and the new Tom Koehler?

Hope I'm wrong. They are better than I expected this year, so they'll get the benefit of the doubt until September. Good luck Benedict.
                  Well I think thats what they wanted to do with Naylor BUT SD wouldn't get off of him. They had been saying they wanted Naylor plus more for Cashner and with the prices paid it is reasonable. Likely with Rea also in the deal it did it for them. I wouldnt be surprised to see another deal if Castillo wasn't included. They have talked to a few teams with him as the centerpiece

Wouldn't be surprising to see Urena in the deal as the MLB player. They talked about him in the Rodney deal before they had to up the price and the FO still views him as a RP
                  Last edited by tjfla; 07-29-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

obviously the whole deal isnt out and we probably got rid of Dunn, but this deal and consistently giving away assets is so unnecessary if we were to just spend a normal amount for a major league bullpen to spend. Between not spending any money for a guy like Fister in the offseason to not being willing to take on money midseason when we have the 29th highest payroll in baseball. It is all just so unnecessary and terrible business. And I dont blame the front office one bit. Baseball can't keep watching Loria do this after we get a new stadium using tax payer dollars.

Comment

Joe FrisaroVerified account
                      ‏@JoeFrisaro
                      Can confirm #Marlins on verge of acquiring Cashner/Rea from #Padres for Naylor, and hearing deal is bigger than this.
                      Is there any conceivable way Tyson Ross is part of this deal? Is he healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        obviously the whole deal isnt out and we probably got rid of Dunn, but this deal and consistently giving away assets is so unnecessary if we were to just spend a normal amount for a major league bullpen to spend. Between not spending any money for a guy like Fister in the offseason to not being willing to take on money midseason when we have the 29th highest payroll in baseball. It is all just so unnecessary and terrible business. And I dont blame the front office one bit. Baseball can't keep watching Loria do this after we get a new stadium using tax payer dollars.
                        So u want them to get better but not give away assets? HAHA. U realize that even when u spend money guys choose NOT to come here. JA Happ was our #1 FA target and we offered him more money than Toronto did but he decided to go there instead?

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post

I don't think Naylor gets them Shoemaker.

Comment

I'm happy the Marlins are trying. If Loria wasn't sweating the money they wouldn't have to try this hard but lolmarlins.

Let's see how this pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                              I don't think Naylor gets them Shoemaker.
                              Fair enough, but I'm just thinking don't you get 1 better one back and just stretch out Phelps then? Maybe Benedict thinks he can fix them though.

Guess we'll wait to see what they do.

Comment

Jose,Conley,Cashner,Koehler,Cosart(Rea as soon as Benedict gets done) is the new Rotation

People just because Josh Naylor was our #1 Prospect doesn't mean anything beside our system is crap. In a real system he is 7-12 range and that is if he shows power. U got 2 SP for a Russell Branyan(if he is lucky)
                                Last edited by tjfla; 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X