Colin Moran, 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dim View Post
    Just want to point out how right nny got this. Should've really paid more attention to this during last year's draft. Really didn't even realize how good Peterson was in college, and he's doing just as well with the Mariners now.
    To be fair, Moran is a pitcher's league AND park and Peterson is in a hitter's league AND park. IIRC, Jupiter is the best pitcher's park and High Desert is the best hitter's park in their respective leagues, and that's saying a lot.

I might adjust their numbers later to take park factors into consideration. I wish there was a site that would do this.

But Bryant is just an absolute beast.
    --------------------
    Park adjusted lines

Peterson: 61 h (-15), 14 2b (-4), 1 3b (+0), 8 hr (-6), .249/.307/.412/.719 (-.208 OPS)

Moran: 61 h (+3), 14 2b (+0), 0 3b (+0), 5 hr (+2), .302/.339/.446/.782 (+.046 OPS)

Unfortunately, both are in parks that make it VERY hard to judge hitters.

park factors from http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=milb Jupiter is actually third worst, but High Desert is possibly best park in all of baseball. Peterson is hitting .252/.319/.466/.785 away from there and Moran is hitting .301/.318/.447/.765 away from home (and all 3 of his HRs are on the road)

I'm not going to have any thought about Moran until I see his Jax performance.
    Last edited by nny; 06-13-2014, 10:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

So basically it is hard to be excited about either one of them?
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Peterson is the guy I wanted at the time too.

But, I think we also have to note that he's a terrible 3b who has basically no chance of staying there at the major league level. He's a 1b.

And he's living up to it with a cool .881 fielding % at 3b this year.

Comment

That is really good stuff nny. Thanks for posting that. I like most of us am waiting to see what Moran does the rest of the season and later in AA before trying to make any real judgements. I think it's reasonable for us to be somewhat concerned about his lack of walks (meaning the plate discipline isn't showing as well as it did in college) and the lack of power.

Under the circumstances I guess Moran over Peterson is the right call, but that is really up in the air. There's no debate that Kris Bryant is the true breakout star of that class (and that's by a lot), so it'll be interesting to see if Moran can justify his being taken as early as he did when it's all set and done.

I do wish he showcased just a LITTLE more power. If he was able to turn some of those singles into XBH's we'd all be a hell of a lot higher on him right now.

Comment

Their major league equivalents right now are:

Peterson .196/.228/.325
            Moran .232/.263/.314

which backs up nny's point about how ridiculous the 2 parks they play in are
            --------------------
            nny (or anyone else) if you're interested, I have an updated version of the MLE calculator that used to be online

http://dblroundtable.com/mle.html

ignore the final 5 columns after the SLG, they don't work. I didn't need them for what I used it for, so I made them null

I don't have the information on who originally made it anymore, as I had no intention of actually putting it online when I modified it.
            Last edited by HUGG; 06-14-2014, 05:29 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
            X