Marlins Sign Heath Bell to 3 year, $27 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
    I would prefer if we didn't spend cash on a closer and that k/9 Bell posted in 2011 as a guy nearing his mid-30's is worrisome.

But I like that we went out and spent money on a guy we wanted. That part is cool.
    Basically that. Bullpen was the one thing I was hoping we wouldn't spend money on (And don't like Bell's 2.39 PETCO ERA, 3.54 everywhere else ERA), but oh well better than nothing

Comment

• SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
      bell signing worked out almost as good as possible for pads. they get no. 9 overall pick since he went to #marlins.
      twitter

Comment

• uhhhhh? thought our pick was protected
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• We keep our pick. But apparently in new system team that loses type A free agent gets pick right in front of team who signed the free agent.
          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• I am late to the party, and glad I missed it because skimming this thread was painful with all the nonsense, but I don't mind this deal as long as Loria spends to fix the other problems in the rotation, bringing in another starting bat, and some bench depth. Its certainly excessive to pay $27 million for approximately 200 innings, but at least they didn't do a Papelbon or soon to be Madsen deal that's completely retarded. But if this signing was instead of upgrading elsewhere, facepalm. We'll see.

Bullpen is going to be awesome though.

Comment

• Lulz, age doesn't matter much for a closer. Bell is an allstar closer that is much better than Oviedo. Great signing.

Comment

• Yeah I think Heyman is still thinking of the old CBA here is Starks mention of it:

Bell was a Type A free agent heading into the offseason, and under the old collective bargaining agreement, the Padres would've been entitled to a first-round compensation pick and the Marlins' second round pick (their first-rounder is protected). Under the new CBA, however, the Padres still get that first round compensation pick but the Marlins don't have to give up a draft pick for Bell. Instead, San Diego will receive the pick in the slot directly in front of the Marlins' second-round selection, so this means the Padres are slated to pick ninth overall in the second round. Miami retains its second round pick and just gets bumped down to the tenth selection of the second round.

Comment

• I pretty much agree with everyone.

Mibs, calm down.

Totally agree with Claudio V. This has Reyes, Buehrle/Wilson written all over it.

Comment

• DKnobler DKnobler
                    Checked to be sure. Padres get sandwich pick and early second-round pick for Bell. Marlins do not lose a pick.
                    We don't lose the first round pick.

Comment

• Hopefully this signing will send a message to the other guys we're trying to "lure" to South Florida that we're serious and this is not one big Ruse.
                      This is a Dolphins town, though.

"Fuck, what've they done?'' --Ozzie Guillen

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

2010 SoFlaMarlins Fantasy Baseball Champion
                      Edmonton Ice Bats
                      2007 Teal League Wildcard
                      2008 Teal League Wildcard

2009 Teal League Wildcard
                      2010 Teal League Wildcard
                      2011 Teal League West Division Winner

Comment

• Will people that don't like the deal still be upset if the Marlins still end up with a combo of Reyes/Wilson/Buehrle/Cespedes? Just wondering.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          Will people that don't like the deal still be upset if the Marlins still end up with a combo of Reyes/Wilson/Buehrle/Cespedes? Just wondering.
                          Haters Gonna Hate?
                          This is a Dolphins town, though.

"Fuck, what've they done?'' --Ozzie Guillen

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

2010 SoFlaMarlins Fantasy Baseball Champion
                          Edmonton Ice Bats
                          2007 Teal League Wildcard
                          2008 Teal League Wildcard

2009 Teal League Wildcard
                          2010 Teal League Wildcard
                          2011 Teal League West Division Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                            Will people that don't like the deal still be upset if the Marlins still end up with a combo of Reyes/Wilson/Buehrle/Cespedes? Just wondering.
                            I will like those and still not like this a whole lot. You can call it a small club mentality or shrug it off as not being our money if you want, but bottom line, it's still an inefficient use of resources. As Nny pointed out, he's a guy who goes from being completely dominant at Petco, to just good away from it.

If our park plays big as shit, cool, and it probably will, but 9m on a guy who may or may not be elite for 65+ innings isn't a great idea.

I'm not completely shitting on it. We're a better team with him than without him for sure. I just don't think we've improved as much as a 9m player should improve you.

Comment

• Haven't had much time to check up on this but a quick glance shows that he actually had a better year away from Petco than he did there.

Comment

• I was using this.

Originally posted by nny View Post
                                Basically that. Bullpen was the one thing I was hoping we wouldn't spend money on (And don't like Bell's 2.39 PETCO ERA, 3.54 everywhere else ERA), but oh well better than nothing

Comment

Working...
                                X