Ugh . . . Pending Fire Sale Before July 31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
    My point is, I don't think the difference between us making the postseason in 2003 and not was a pitcher that was pretty much a set-up man. I understand the bullpen ace type role, but he didn't fill that for most of his time here anyway. He was a middle relief pitcher until about the middle of September and while he was damn good at it, he wasn't the most necessary piece of the equation for a team that had strong pitching in the rotation and bullpen anyway.
    The bullpen was not strong whatsoever. Looper and Spooneybarger were pretty much the only two reliable relievers at the beginning of the season. Spooneybarger had a career ending injury midseason and Looper faded hard in the 2nd half. Like someone said earlier Fox and Urbina completely saved the bullpen that year, I really don't think we would've got to the playoffs without them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
      Don't forget the August acquisition of Conine...
      The deal that led me to meet all you nutcases.

Found the other site on 8/31/03, looking for updates on us acquiring a bat to replace Lowell.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      The bullpen was not strong whatsoever. Looper and Spooneybarger were pretty much the only two reliable relievers at the beginning of the season. Spooneybarger had a career ending injury midseason and Looper faded hard in the 2nd half. Like someone said earlier Fox and Urbina completely saved the bullpen that year, I really don't think we would've got to the playoffs without them.
      100%

the bullpen was the glaring weakness

Comment

• Making the playoffs next year looks impossible. Our starting rotation is a ace, a #2/#3 who just had shoulder surgery and a bunch of #5's. And betond Deitrich, a bench of hot garbage. Fuck, man.

Comment

• It would take an incredible performance by our front office this off-season, so...ya know...yeah.

I'm just hoping they're not embarrassing. That'd be a nice change of pace.

- - - - - - - - - -

It'd be nice not to say "man, fuck this shit" and quit watching by June again at some point.

- - - - - - - - - -

Hyped for us to sign Tim Lincecum and act like he's still the 08-11 version.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
            Hyped for us to sign Tim Lincecum and act like he's still the 08-11 version.
            Michael Hill press conference: "Tim Lincecum is a proven winner, he's won a bunch of world series with the Giants. He's a proven veteran leader and will help make this team one of the last 10 teams playing at the end of the season. Hope the fans are educated enough to see what we're doing."

Comment

• TWO TIME CY YOUNG AWARD WINNER

- - - - - - - - - -

Wow, Danny Valencia got DFAed.

Bour/Valencia platoon would look nice.

Comment

• Name the author of this quote:

"There's a lot of reason for optimism and belief that this is a playoff, championship-caliber team. "But we're not there and we have to keep working until we get there.''

A) Dan Jennings

B) "Erick"

C) Mike Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  Name the author of this quote:

"There's a lot of reason for optimism and belief that this is a playoff, championship-caliber team. "But we're not there and we have to keep working until we get there.''

A) Dan Jennings

B) "Erick"

C) Mike Hill
                  B) Erick

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                    TWO TIME CY YOUNG AWARD WINNER

- - - - - - - - - -

Wow, Danny Valencia got DFAed.

Bour/Valencia platoon would look nice.
                    How nice would it be to get Valencia AND send down Solano. Well people can dream plus Valencia can't play SS

Vance Worley also was DFA

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      How nice would it be to get Valencia AND send down Solano. Well people can dream plus Valencia can't play SS

Valencia is pretty perfect, and would be controlled a few years. Maybe makes $2.5 in arb next year which is good for a bench guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Making the playoffs next year looks impossible. Our starting rotation is a ace, a #2/#3 who just had shoulder surgery and a bunch of #5's. And betond Deitrich, a bench of hot garbage. Fuck, man.
                        It looks impossible because the front office is incompetent. They have all the core pieces on the team already to become a playoff team. The incompetent front office just doesn't know how to surround the core with competent players.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post

Valencia would be great. Then again, this team would probably turn him into an every day player instead of the perfect platoon player that he is.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Name the author of this quote:

A) Dan Jennings

B) "Erick"

C) Mike Hill
                        They're right. They just don't know how to get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          They're right. They just don't know how to get there.
                          The team would be much better if they're right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay View Post
                            The team would be much better if they're right.
                            "There is a lot of reason for optimism and belief that this a playoff, championship caliber team."

They're right about that. There is reason to believe that there are many players on this team who could be a part of a championship caliber team. That's my interpretation of that quote.

"But we're not there and we have to keep working until we get there."

They're also right about not being there. Unfortunately, they've also shown us that they'll never get there.

What we have is a team with potential that will likely never reach it.

Comment

• I think Erick's kind of right and kind of wrong. There are a lot of teams that have guys like Hechavarria or an underachiever like Ozuna and projectile guys like Urena. The problem is, where those teams look at them as peripheral pieces, the Marlins are making them cornerstones, or don't know how to address the growing pains with a guy like Ozuna.

The opinion I have of this team is there are fewer pieces than I think the front office believes. There are some guys that should be used as trade chips that are instead fringe cornerstones. There are guys that the FO wants to make part of the future that should be upgrade candidates.

The roster is too flawed to get anywhere. There are too many stubborn insistences on guys. Frankly, you can say the Marlins only have Yelich, Gordon, Stanton and probably Realmuto as guys to build around as every day players and not be bearish on their chances. The problem is believing that they don't need to upgrade a lot of their every day guys. The park is going to make so-so pitchers look pretty good. The bullpen seems to be in good enough shape. They should shop for a developed and established #2 and hope to hell Alvarez is going to fully recover.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                "There is a lot of reason for optimism and belief that this a playoff, championship caliber team."

They're right about that. There is reason to believe that there are many players on this team who could be a part of a championship caliber team. That's my interpretation of that quote.

"But we're not there and we have to keep working until we get there."

They're also right about not being there. Unfortunately, they've also shown us that they'll never get there.

What we have is a team with potential that will likely never reach it.
                                No the quote reads that as the roster stands, it is a championship caliber team which is definitely not. I agree with you the core is there and with upgrades and most things going right it's playoff caliber.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                                I think Erick's kind of right and kind of wrong. There are a lot of teams that have guys like Hechavarria or an underachiever like Ozuna and projectile guys like Urena. The problem is, where those teams look at them as peripheral pieces, the Marlins are making them cornerstones, or don't know how to address the growing pains with a guy like Ozuna.

The opinion I have of this team is there are fewer pieces than I think the front office believes. There are some guys that should be used as trade chips that are instead fringe cornerstones. There are guys that the FO wants to make part of the future that should be upgrade candidates.

The roster is too flawed to get anywhere. There are too many stubborn insistences on guys. Frankly, you can say the Marlins only have Yelich, Gordon, Stanton and probably Realmuto as guys to build around as every day players and not be bearish on their chances. The problem is believing that they don't need to upgrade a lot of their every day guys. The park is going to make so-so pitchers look pretty good. The bullpen seems to be in good enough shape. They should shop for a developed and established #2 and hope to hell Alvarez is going to fully recover.
                                Who do you think is being saw as a cornerstone piece that should be a trade chip?

Comment

Working...
                                X