Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    To be fair, we all know that he'd only be a bench player for a week before the inevitable half the lineup gets injured and he'll play every day.
    Good point but can he play the corner OF slots when the Big Hurt gets hurt? The thing with Napoli and even Carter is they are pretty much 1B only. I could already seen Napoli getting hurt running to a gap. When Stanton gets hurt neither 1 can play RF or LF. Mark Reynolds will come cheaper and while the bat isnt that great he can atleast play other spots if needed

Now if we were in the AL I would say pay 7-10 million for Napoli,sh*t I would have paid up for EE or Trumbo and u got a 1B/DH option who can get bats daily

- - - - - - - - - -

The confusing thing about the "budget" is we have 4.5 million of dead money at SS in Hech. Mattingly would rather play Rojas there(pretty much same player) and we have Nola,Riddle ready to become the UT guy.

Rather use that cash on a power bat or something else

Comment

• I said a month ago that Chris Carter is the final piece to the playoff puzzle.

*the puzzle depends on no major injuries

Comment

• Tjfla, that's a good point, I was thinking that him being here would allow Dietrich to play elsewhere (in he outfield), but I definitely get your point about positional flexibility.

- - - - - - - - - -

Apparently we aren't really looking at a bat though, and the current plan is just to give Bour more at bats against lefties, and get JT some time at first. JT has better numbers against lefties, but I'd still like to see them bring another bat regardless. They're just plain stupid if they think that everyone will be healthy the whole year. I'm tired of the season falling apart every year because one or more key players go down and nobody that can produce even average numbers around to fill in. They've gone heavy on acquiring arms, which I completely get....they needed more pitching WITH Jose here, and obviously needed more without him, but they need to add someone with some pop...the lineup goes dormant when one player is injured.

Comment

• Rays got Jose De Leon for Logan Forsythe...

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            I said a month ago that Chris Carter is the final piece to the playoff puzzle.

*the puzzle depends on no major injuries
            Chris Carter isn't that good.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              Rays got Jose De Leon for Logan Forsythe...
              Not a Montreal Fan but have to admit the Rays know how to get talent for guys they know they can't keep or can replace easily

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                Chris Carter isn't that good.
                Chris Carter slugged .537 against lefties last year, and his career low against lefties is .415. Chris Johnson slugged .333 against lefties last year. JT Realmuto slugged .355 against lefties last year and is at .415 for his career. Carter would be a huge upgrade offensively anyway you look at it. This team needs offense, and particularly it needs power. If you want to knock Carter for his defense, he's still at least an above average player, and better than anything else we could throw out there as Bour's backup/platoon mate.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Not a Montreal Fan but have to admit the Rays know how to get talent for guys they know they can't keep or can replace easily
                  Montreal?

Comment

• Originally posted by el nino View Post
                    Chris Carter slugged .537 against lefties last year, and his career low against lefties is .415. Chris Johnson slugged .333 against lefties last year. JT Realmuto slugged .355 against lefties last year and is at .415 for his career. Carter would be a huge upgrade offensively anyway you look at it. This team needs offense, and particularly it needs power. If you want to knock Carter for his defense, he's still at least an above average player, and better than anything else we could throw out there as Bour's backup/platoon mate.

Thank you. You saved me a bunch of typing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      Montreal?
                      Only a matter of time

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by el nino View Post
                      The 2 "issues" with Carter are the price tag and the fact is he pretty much 1B only. He isn't looking for Napoli cash(7-10 million) but 5-7 million might be to expensive for us. He can play a decent 1B but it's not like u could really put Carter or Bour in LF/RF when Stanton gets hurt.

If they spend 5-7 million they would want someone who can play more spots than just 1 which is why u see names like Mark Reynolds/Frenchy. Can play 3 spots and would cost less

Carter is a great fit for us tho he can platoon against LHP and power off the bench-exactly what we need
                      Last edited by tjfla; 01-24-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        Only a matter of time

- - - - - - - - - -

The 2 "issues" with Carter are the price tag and the fact is he pretty much 1B only. He isn't looking for Napoli cash(7-10 million) but 5-7 million might be to expensive for us. He can play a decent 1B but it's not like u could really put Carter or Bour in LF/RF when Stanton gets hurt.

If they spend 5-7 million they would want someone who can play more spots than just 1 which is why u see names like Mark Reynolds/Frenchy. Can play 3 spots and would cost less

Carter is a great fit for us tho he can platoon against LHP and power off the bench-exactly what we need
                        I'd like to sign Carter too, but I assume he thinks he can find an everyday job somewhere on a 1 year deal so he can re-enter the market again next year. Don't see him settling for a platoon role and 300-400 at bats.

I wouldn't mind Reynolds on a 1 year or minor league deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          Rays got Jose De Leon for Logan Forsythe...
                          So a bit of a puzzling decision. Yes, the Dodgers lost Howie Kendrick to free agency. They needed a 2nd baseman.

That said Jose De Leon has put up an ERA under 3 at just about every level of the minors. He's been striking out over 11 people per 9 innings for basically his entire career. He's got top of the line major league starter as his potential.

Logan Forsythe has been very good the last two seasons. Worth around an average of 4.5 wins per season during that stretch. But he's only under contract for one more season with a club option for 2018. At 30 years old he's not much of a long term commitment given the likely decline when you hit the wrong side of it.

If we accept the Dodgers are in win now mode, and that they got a set rotation with Kershaw, Maeda, Urias, Kazmir, and Stripling/Wood, then it makes sense. To win a championship the next two or three seasons, Forsythe will be a better help than De Leon. Long term it's a poor decision. But I don't think the Dodgers care about that (nor should they really).

Comment

• Didn't they trade Kendrick to the Phillies?

Comment

• A couple of tidbits from MLBTR:

-The Marlins’ acquisition of right-hander Severino Gonzalez filled the team’s 40-man roster, making further guaranteed contracts unrealistic, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. The Marlins could still add some players on minor league deals, but with a full 40-man roster and a payroll that is at its limit (roughly $110MM), additional spending is a long shot. Miami was recently connected to both Chris Carter and Mark Reynolds, but Frisaro calls the chances of signing either “extremely remote.” The Fish do have interest in Jeff Francoeur, but he’d have to be willing to sign a minor league contract in order to return to Miami. That could ultimately happen, but Francoeur does have interest elsewhere, as the Braves are said to be in on him as well.

-Sticking with the Marlins, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald hears that it was the agents for Carter and Reynolds who reached out to the Marlins recently, and not vice versa. That would certainly make sense, as Miami could look like an appealing landing spot, on paper, for either slugger. Jackson writes that the Marlins are considering a 13-man pitching staff and a four-man bench, making the addition of even a modestly priced right-handed bat like Carter or Reynolds unlikely. There’s still some interest in Francoeur and Chris Johnson, he notes.
                              Trading Urena would open up a spot.

Comment

• I look forward to being at .500 in August and having to trade Braxton Garrett for a righty 1B to play for 6 weeks and then lose to free agency
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X