No announcement yet.

Giancarlo Stanton, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins right fielder Mike Stanton is only 21 years old, but he's threatening to lead the NL in home runs. He currently has 28, which trails the great Albert Pujols by two in the entire National League. And Stanton doesn't get by with cheap homers either. No, he gets his money's worth with prodigious shots. Just two days ago, Stanton hit one 474 feet. It was his third home run over 450 feet this season, while 13 have gone at least 425 feet. According to ESPN's home run tracker, Stanton is tied with Justin Upton for the big-league lead in "no doubt" homers with 11.

The best part about Stanton, however, is that he doesn't showboat on his home run. He simply drops his bat and starts running the bases.

Stanton told MLB.com that he doesn't feel like he's earned the right to draw attention to himself when he hits home runs. When pressed on if he'd ever show up a pitcher, he answered honestly.

“If they threw at me, for no reason,” he said (MLB.com). “Or to intimidate me or whatever, then I will. If I’m upset about something.”

Now, I'm sure some would argue he still shouldn't show the pitcher up, but let's remember two things: 1) He's only 21; 2) He's only speaking in hypotheticals. We don't know if he'd actually do anything. Our only evidence at hand is Stanton just hitting absolute moonshots and then running the bases like he's done it 500 times before. And if the pitcher didn't come at Stanton first, he said "there's no reason to (showboat)."

Stanton also noted he's terrified a ball will not clear the fence and he'll be thrown out at second base.

Whether it's fear, respect for the game or Stanton just being a cool customer, it's refreshing to see a young player refuse to showboat on home runs that travel so far past 400 feet. Many others could learn from him, including 10-year veterans.
    Mike Stanton: Humble, powerful slugger

Comment

• got this beast in my HR pool.....took him with my first pick. I have a severe crush on him.

10 years 65 mill sound bout right?

Comment

• He did have a bit of an extra oomph when he threw the bat away after last night's homer, which came after a pitch got away and came up near his head to start the at bat.

It was for me.

Comment

• pgammo Peter Gammons
          GM:"Considering service time and cost, Pineda and Stanton are the two most valuable players in baseball"
          http://twitter.com/#!/pgammo/status/105397851890257920

Comment

• Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
            got this beast in my HR pool.....took him with my first pick. I have a severe crush on him.

10 years 65 mill sound bout right?
            Its gonna take around 10 years $125-$175 mill to sign him up long term. IMO its still a steal.

Comment

• Not even close to $125.
              poop

Comment

• More like 7 years $55 million imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish Tank Frenzy View Post
                  Its gonna take around 10 years $125-$175 mill to sign him up long term. IMO its still a steal.
                  LMAO! thankfully ur not tryin to balance the budget.

$50 mill is right, years will have to be worked out

Comment

• His is a lot more realistic than 10 years $65MM

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                      His is a lot more realistic than 10 years $65MM
                      ummmmmm.......$175 mil is like 3 times what he'll get

He makes at most $350K now......u take less money in longer deals for the security......$100 mil is not even in the convo

Comment

• He's gonna sign away 5 years of free agency for $65 million?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          He's gonna sign away 5 years of free agency for $65 million?
                          ummmmm. let me put this in perspective for u. Evan Longoria gota 9yr 44 MIL if it plays out.

u sir, dont know what ure talkin bout

Comment

• yeah ugg u dont no wut ur talkin bout

Comment

• Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
                              ummmmm. let me put this in perspective for u. Evan Longoria gota 9yr 44 MIL if it plays out.

u sir, dont know what ure talkin bout
                              Evan Longoria signed after a week of playing in the majors. Mike Stanton has been playing for a year+. That matters.
                              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                Evan Longoria signed after a week of playing in the majors. Mike Stanton has been playing for a year+. That matters.
                                not 100 MIL matters tho

which is why my number was 65, not 44 like Longoria

Comment

Working...
                                X