The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    trading them isnt the end of the franchise. You might get low crowds for 2-3 years while you rebuild the right way, but the fans will be back once you start winning again. Also, while I agree that we do have the makings of a good potential lineup and I would be completely fine with them running it back and trying to find pitching on the fly, finding pitching on the fly is so hard and can be done in a way that is successful like the Cubs, or you could sign a guy like arrieta and have another Chen on your hands.

I think tearing it down and rebuilding it the right way to find a sustainable winner is the way to go, but I think it can be done both ways. The problem lays in the possibility that you dont rebuild and arent able to find pitching on the fly and have the same, below average, expensive team for the foreseeable future.

I think i would do a combination of both, trying to rid yourself of guys like Ozuna, Prado, Gordon, Bour, Chen, Tazawa, and Ziegler over the next few years while keeping Stanton, Yelich, Realmuto, Anderson, Urena, etc. and then investing in the draft and IFA so that within the next 2-3 years we develop one of the better farm systems in baseball so that we can start to develop a 2nd young core around that young core rather than always having to resort to the worst place to be in baseball: free agency for mediocre players. If you develop a proper farm system and invest in the right areas, you should never have to sign guys like Volquez, Chen, Ziegler, Tazawa, etc. This team's problem is not that we dont have great young talent, its that the lack of spending on player development from the previous ownership led to a terrible farm system which led to having to spend outrageous amounts of money on average players. Because we did that, we know have an exorbitant payroll for an average team.

Now if Stanton says he wants no part of a rebuild, then you have no choice but to blow it up and do a full rebuild. This team can be brought back to being a winner multiple ways, and both have their risks, but to be honest the fanbase reaction shouldnt be anywhere close to a priority. This fanbase will follow any winner. Bringing back consistent winning and a sustainable winning team should be the priority, even if it takes 2-3 years like the Astros and Cubs. Plus, if you properly frame blowing up this team, i think most fans would understand why they are doing what they are doing.
    Let's not pretend too that there weren't better options out there too. If Loria had spent the same amount on one or two higher tier guys as he did for those mediocre players, it'd be a different story.

But yes, I think overall, while completely blowing everything up might save more money, I also think they can to retool on the fly and trade a few guys while trying to retain much of the core. My ideal is pulling a "Dodgers" and still spending on the major league roster, while rebuilding the foundation underneath through the draft, IFA, etc.

Comment

• Jeter also said that the owners (we still don’t know how many new owners there are) all had plenty of money when they bought the team but they don’t have a lot of money now that the sale is final.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        Let's not pretend too that there weren't better options out there too. If Loria had spent the same amount on one or two higher tier guys as he did for those mediocre players, it'd be a different story.

But yes, I think overall, while completely blowing everything up might save more money, I also think they can to retool on the fly and trade a few guys while trying to retain much of the core. My ideal is pulling a "Dodgers" and still spending on the major league roster, while rebuilding the foundation underneath through the draft, IFA, etc.
        I wouldnt mind that either. and yes, youre completely right abotu the spending on the wrong guys aspect of your post. To me, spending on relievers in the free agent market in general is fucking stupid, but to do so on guys who have never been dominant and have never had more than a 9k/9IP rate is beyond ridiculous and frankly insulting to anyone who knows how modern day baseball works.

Id be ok with anything that involves building a sustainable winning team while also not completely cheaping out every single year on player development, IFA, and the draft. Anything that doesnt cheap out on that is fine by me, and if we continue to cheap out on that, nothing we do will really matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          So Sherman came off as very likeable in the press conference. Well spoken, friendly vibe. I like it.

Jeter, however, not as much. Sherman is clearly in awe of Jeter. It’s clearly evident that most people in Jeter’s life are in awe of him and he acts accordingly (I’m speculating big time).

Totally reading in to how Jeter spoke of Stanton, my guess is that Stanton has played his last game as a Marlin.

Not a single reporter mentioned that it’s been 14 years since the Marlins made the playoffs. I think it’s dumb that happened.
          Yeah, the way he kept talking about a long process, patience, not wanting to call it a rebuild, etc. etc., it sounds as though everybody is gone.

Comment

• I'd wouldnt mind seeing them trade Ozuna, Bour, Gordon, and Prado, trying to acquire as much pitching as you can and running everything back next year, hoping to build a winner and get lucky on a few pitchers they acquire, and then see where we;re at next offseason when the contracts of Volquez, Tazawa, and Ziegler expire.

Comment

• Jessica Blaylock just interviewed Jeter, and he again mentioned rebuilding with the farm system on up.

Comment

Jessica Blaylock just interviewed Jeter, and he again mentioned rebuilding with the farm system on up.
                that is the most important thing we need to do and its nice to finally see our front office and ownership embracing this viewpoint because that is how the most successful teams do it in today's game. Most importantly its awesome to see an ownership that has a clear and coherent plan that (hopefully) wont change based on the daily whims of a moron owner.

Comment

Yeah, the way he kept talking about a long process, patience, not wanting to call it a rebuild, etc. etc., it sounds as though everybody is gone.
                  Agreed, that's same vibes I got....Stanton gone, and Jeter a bit full of himself. The Marlins can be a very humbling experience, just ask some players & managers who have been here.....VERY humbling

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    So Sherman came off as very likeable in the press conference. Well spoken, friendly vibe. I like it.

Jeter, however, not as much. Sherman is clearly in awe of Jeter. It’s clearly evident that most people in Jeter’s life are in awe of him and he acts accordingly (I’m speculating big time).

Totally reading in to how Jeter spoke of Stanton, my guess is that Stanton has played his last game as a Marlin.

Not a single reporter mentioned that it’s been 14 years since the Marlins made the playoffs. I think it’s dumb that happened.
                    Well we won't be hearing or seeing much of Sherman. He is the money and that is it. Probably has a Jeter shrine on his 70 million dollar yacht

But ya Stanton is gone as is alot of others. The plan is total rebuild and get ready for 2019/2020

Comment

• What i didnt like about reading about the press conference is that they talked about the need to talk to Mike Hill a lot regarding players. I really wish they would just can his ass. Even if his previous moves were a direct result of Loria's influence and terrible ownership, id just prefer everyone that was part of the front office during the previous ownership was gone. Huge fan of the total rebuild and i cant wait to see the types of packages they can get for these players.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        What i didnt like about reading about the press conference is that they talked about the need to talk to Mike Hill a lot regarding players. I really wish they would just can his ass. Even if his previous moves were a direct result of Loria's influence and terrible ownership, id just prefer everyone that was part of the front office during the previous ownership was gone. Huge fan of the total rebuild and i cant wait to see the types of packages they can get for these players.
                        I have to agree. And ownership changed right at the offseason (for us), so it's not as if a new guy wouldn't be able to take time to get acquainted with the system before making moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          But ya Stanton is gone as is alot of others. The plan is total rebuild and get ready for 2019/2020

How do you know what the plan is?

Comment

I have to agree. And ownership changed right at the offseason (for us), so it's not as if a new guy wouldn't be able to take time to get acquainted with the system before making moves.
                            Gary Denbo is gonna be the the new guy but he can't be hired till they own the team(which they do now so likely he will be hired soon) so they are keeping Mike Hill around to help with the transition. He is under control so will be around but his role will be greatly reduced/heard may even be moved to scouting

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            How do you know what the plan is?
                            Was the plan that they presented to the MLB Owners. Cut salary and when new tv deal comes around they will be back around 100 million.

Comment

Gary Denbo is gonna be the the new guy but he can't be hired till they own the team(which they do now so likely he will be hired soon) so they are keeping Mike Hill around to help with the transition. He is under control so will be around but his role will be greatly reduced/heard may even be moved to scouting

- - - - - - - - - -

Was the plan that they presented to the MLB Owners. Cut salary and when new tv deal comes around they will be back around 100 million.

Link please

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

I don't have a problem with Hill being elsewhere in the organization, just not the GM/whatever title Loria gave him.

---

By which point 100M will still be the lowest payroll in the league?

Comment

Working...
                                X