• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol no

we are cursed now

Let's wait and see 3-5 years after the sale to see if we're still cursed

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
      Party, sounds pretty racist to me. He wants Latin players, and not THE BEST players. It will be very tough to attract non-Latino players. We're right back with a mentality to not build the best team. The franchise is just cursed.
      Take what tj says with the tiniest grain of salt.

Comment

Party, sounds pretty racist to me. He wants Latin players, and not THE BEST players. It will be very tough to attract non-Latino players. We're right back with a mentality to not build the best team. The franchise is just cursed.
        Seems like a huge, unnecessary logical leap.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          Seems like a huge, unnecessary logical leap.
          Whatever, some people just can't see past their own prejudices and call out a racist when they see one. Mas needs to be colorblind and leave shit like that out.....You get the BEST players, even if they are Inuit Eskimos, I don't give a flying fuck. If they can field, hit and think smartly on the field, and they are the best at their position I want them on the Marlins. If he does that, and cuts off his chances of building a championship team, he's cutting off his nose to spite his face, and like Loria has done for years, foster ill will with the (potential) fan base. Just seeing that Mas COULD be thinking this (and from what I know privately it's more than likely TRUE) it looks like a fail before he even buys the team.

There are other consequences for having a policy like this. Look who is our President. He was brought to power partly due the rampant and disgusting racism he & his ardent supporters fostered in the last election cycle. An all Latino team -- this kimd of thing will not go over well with his people, and may even lead to violence and threats against the team, should they impliment a strict, Latino Only policy. Who knows, it also may violate Federal law and be in violation of EEOC mandates (I don't know if it is, but I'm sure we have at least one attorney on this board who can tell us). Also MLB would not like it, as they want to foster better relations between the races for commercial and PR reasons. Would not look good if you had a team that has a policy of "Latino Only".

Comment

• Just seeing that Mas COULD be thinking this (and from what I know privately it's more than likely TRUE) it looks like a fail before he even buys the team.
            Where did you see that he COULD be thinking this?

And do not quote tj's post. He has no actual info/insight on what Mas would do if he took over as owner, let me make that perfectly clear. And even saying all that, he only said that Mas will want to bring in Latin players, not make the whole team Latin. Bring something to back up your claims dood. Anything.

Comment

• Omar Minaya tried to make the Mets Latin America's team and signed a bunch of Hispanic players and last I checked Joey from the Hamptons is still dropping $20k a season on season tickets with daddy's money. Arte Moreno did the same thing and last I checked he gave Hamilton and Mathews huge contracts.

You have ZERO evidence that Mas is a racist except "what you know in private" which is code for bullshit. The only thing Mas and his family can be accused of is being "hyper-Cuban" in that they have championed human rights for white/black/straight/gay/purple Cubans on the island for over 40 years. His father was the leading figure in the exile movement.

Comment

Ya don't take my info as real. Its not that he wants Latin players because he is Latin he wants them because that is what he believes will sell in the market.(VERY TRUE) The Rothbaum group has said the same thing,Marcus Lemonis talked about it-said that the Florida market wants to see Latin/Spanish players and that is what anyone who wants to run the team should try to get.

Its like Seattle,NY,LA with Asian Players-that is the market. Otani is a FA soon and if NYY and Arizona offer the same cash where do u think he would rather be?? Its NOT that Mas is racist-he wants to INVEST in Latin America/IFA,he wants to draft local kids and he wants to get latin FA because that is the market in Miami. He isn't gonna pass on talent because they are white,black or whatever BUT if he had a choice to spend 300 million on Manny Machado or Stanton it would be Machado. If he had the #1 pick and the choices were a Perez from Miami and some kid from Texas(same talent and spot) he is going with the Perez kid from Miami. Because that is what sells here!!!

But take my info as BS just watch what he does when he buys. The Miami/FL market is spanish and thats what sells

Hey I wouldn't mind hyper Cuban,long as the guy spends cash on the team
                Last edited by tjfla; 07-07-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Ya don't take my info as real. Its not that he wants Latin players because he is Latin he wants them because that is what he believes will sell in the market.(VERY TRUE) The Rothbaum group has said the same thing,Marcus Lemonis talked about it-said that the Florida market wants to see Latin/Spanish players and that is what anyone who wants to run the team should try to get.

Its like Seattle,NY,LA with Asian Players-that is the market. Otani is a FA soon and if NYY and Arizona offer the same cash where do u think he would rather be?? Its NOT that Mas is racist-he wants to INVEST in Latin America/IFA,he wants to draft local kids and he wants to get latin FA because that is the market in Miami. He isn't gonna pass on talent because they are white,black or whatever BUT if he had a choice to spend 300 million on Manny Machado or Stanton it would be Machado. If he had the #1 pick and the choices were a Perez from Miami and some kid from Texas(same talent and spot) he is going with the Perez kid from Miami. Because that is what sells here!!!

But take my info as BS just watch what he does when he buys. The Miami/FL market is spanish and thats what sells

Hey I wouldn't mind hyper Cuban,long as the guy spends cash on the team
                  That's fine. I don't think any of us would argue with getting Latin players. I agree that it would be good for the market. But you don't do it at the expense of getting good players. You don't choose a worse player just because he's Latin.

Your earlier posts made it sound as if he was going to make it Latin only. That's what everyone is arguing with you about.

I hope he doesn't blow the whole thing up, though, and at least keeps some of the core guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                    Omar Minaya tried to make the Mets Latin America's team and signed a bunch of Hispanic players and last I checked Joey from the Hamptons is still dropping $20k a season on season tickets with daddy's money. Arte Moreno did the same thing and last I checked he gave Hamilton and Mathews huge contracts.

You have ZERO evidence that Mas is a racist except "what you know in private" which is code for bullshit. The only thing Mas and his family can be accused of is being "hyper-Cuban" in that they have championed human rights for white/black/straight/gay/purple Cubans on the island for over 40 years. His father was the leading figure in the exile movement.
                    I'll watch and bide my time, but if we use the past as evidence, this man will turn the Marlins into a Latino only event. He and his family are racists and have intervened numerous times with their power & influence to dictate policy unfriendly to anyone not Cuban/Latino.

His father was one of the most influential persons as to why there is no longer any New Years Eve parade in downtown Miami. An event that was almost 70 years old. He wanted the City of Miami to back the Latino "3 Kings Parade" and they withdrew money for that event, and put it towards an event that is in basis a religious parade, which is unconstitutional but I guess no one living in the City wants to challenge it. But his killing that, because it was seen as "the old Anglo" thing, is what pisses off a lot of us natives. I'm a 3rd generation Miamian...my grandfather was born in Miami in 1906. Mas Canosa and now his son, want any memory of our city and our way of life wiped away. I don't want to return Miami to what it was, that's impossible, but to do all you can to wipe our history from the books, and act like we never existed is extremely disrespectful, and racist. You can say what you want, believe what you wish, but Mas Canosa and his son, are of the same cloth, and they are what they are, extremists and racists.

Comment

• Good god. You would think Satin was buying the team lol. I thought we had that in Loria already? How about we reserve judgement until the dust settles? What is he gonna do throw a sign up and say only Latino fans only? Go buy a roll of tinfoil and make a hat.

Comment

• His dad did shut down that parade, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          That's fine. I don't think any of us would argue with getting Latin players. I agree that it would be good for the market. But you don't do it at the expense of getting good players. You don't choose a worse player just because he's Latin.

Your earlier posts made it sound as if he was going to make it Latin only. That's what everyone is arguing with you about.

I hope he doesn't blow the whole thing up, though, and at least keeps some of the core guys.
                          Not Latin ONLY but if he has to choose between a Latin guy or white/black guy with everything the same. He is gonna go for the latin guy. He is also gonna invest in the Latin Market alot and draft more Latin/Miami guys.

Alot of MLB guys think the reason Miami can't sell is because lack of latin players. This was given even more credit when the WBC was setting records which is why Manfred prefers Mas. They want this to be a Latin Market,they want us to sign guys from Brazil/Venezuela/Bahamas instead of sitting on cash every year. If Mas gets the team,the Latin influence will play big time BUT they aren't gonna just sign a less talented guy just cause he is spanish

I am a liar so he won't blow the whole team up.(That really is his plan tho-he has told people he wants to start from the ground up)

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            Not Latin ONLY but if he has to choose between a Latin guy or white/black guy with everything the same. He is gonna go for the latin guy.
                            I'm fine with this.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            If Mas gets the team,the Latin influence will play big time BUT they aren't gonna just sign a less talented guy just cause he is spanish
                            This is also reassuring.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            (That really is his plan tho-he has told people he wants to start from the ground up)
                            This is where I get nervous. Stanton I'd hate to move just because of what that signals to the fan-base that has been through this before, but I get wanting to move him because of the massive contract. And if they do rebuild, Stanton would likely opt-out when possible anyway, so trading him they'll at least get something for him. But the Yelichs and Gordons and some of the others that have reasonable contracts...that concerns me. I'm not married to any of the pitchers and I'm hoping they trade a few (several?) of them at the deadline this year.

Comment

• If that means actually spending some money on international prospects, I'm all for it.

Comment

• The Marlins had pretty much the most marketable Latin player ever who was Cuban to boot. We still had attendance issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X