Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round CB-A | Matt Krook | LHP | St. Ignatius HS (CA) | WILL NOT SIGN/FAILED PHYSICAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's outdated, draft language was updated in 2011

for example:

Teams get an extra year of protection for compensation picks for failure to sign draftees from the first three rounds. For example, the Blue Jays get the 22nd pick in 2012 after not signing No. 21 overall choice Tyler Beede in 2011. If Toronto can't come to terms with the compensation selection, it would get another one in 2013.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...-from-the-cba/
    --------------------
    Rule 4 Competitive Balance Draft Picks

Beginning in 2012, six "Competitive Balance" Rule 4 Draft picks will be awarded by lottery between the 1st and 2nd round, and six more will be awarded by lottery between the 2nd and 3rd round. The lottery will take place on the Monday following the Rule 4 Draft signing deadline. Only MLB clubs that receive revenue sharing and clubs from the ten smallest markets will be eligible to participate in the lottery for Competitive Balance picks.

Once awarded, these draft picks can be traded, but only during the MLB regular season, and the pick cannot be traded for cash unless it is a financial adjustment made to offset the salary of one or more of the players involved in the trade. Also, a Competitive Balance draft pick can be traded only once (only by the club that was awarded the pick), and a Competitive Balance Rule 4 Draft pick can be used only in the next Rule 4 Draft. There is no compensation if a player selected with a Competitive Balance draft pick does not sign.
    http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3556
    Last edited by HUGG; 06-27-2013, 12:01 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'd like to see that in an actual MLB document and not a Cubs website. I'm not saying that isn't the case, I just can't find that language you posted
      --------------------
      Cots and Biz link to this - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx4P...thkey=COaviKMJ

CBA is - http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

I can't find anything else?
      Last edited by lou; 06-27-2013, 12:21 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
        I'd like to see that in an actual MLB document and not a Cubs website. I'm not saying that isn't the case, I just can't find that language you posted
        I agree, I just can't find anything else. The CBA language is definitely old though, they changed a lot of the draft language in 2011 as per that Baseball America link.

All of the comments on MLBTradeRumors indicate we get no compensation, but those are just commenters. Still, I'm finding lots of people under the impression we get nothing and no one except Frisaro saying we do.
        --------------------
        oh, the MLB link one looks current
        Last edited by HUGG; 06-27-2013, 12:32 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

This is really annoying me. It shouldn't be this hard to find the procedural rule code. Neither the 12-16 basic agreement CBA contains lottery information, and the 2008 MLR above which is still top hit on google/linked on Cots-Biz, has nothing but what I typed above. Obviously there has been competitive draft picks awarded, so there is some governing document somewhere which talks about this stuff. Maybe what you posted is 100% accurate from the Cubs site, I just cannot find what the basis of that is. Totally crazy. MLBPA, Commissioners Office, Cots, Biz, BA, BP, Fangraphs, Googling the crap out of it. Nothing. What the hell?

Press release from MLB baseball in 2011 - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...38&vkey=pr_mlb, talk about lottery

I am wondering if there is a long form CBA, and not a "basic agreement" that is out there. I just can't find it. That's going to have the answer.
          --------------------
          There is this too - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/2011_CBA.pdf

There is just something else out there that is not readily findable
          Last edited by lou; 06-27-2013, 12:50 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Apparently they agreed to terms and then he failed the physical according to:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...ins-matt-krook

Very conflicting on the 36th pick issue. Bit unlucky really - how much data do teams get on medical history prior to the draft?

Comment

Didn't we have a high pick recently who failed a physical as well?
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                Didn't we have a high pick recently who failed a physical as well?
                Dustin Dickerson

We are known for this tho.If they fail physical we just pull the offer. The issue with this kid is he had a set number that he wanted and if injured no way we will pay him that.

Another kid from the draft I saw needs TJ surgery and he took like 500k under slot to sign

Comment

@JCRMarlinsbeat: Yes. 36th overall RT @Flamarlins93 Can you clear up weather or not the #Marlins will receive a pick next year for not signing Krook?
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

I approve.

Comment

I am still holding out hope this becomes like the Andrew Heaney situation and the two sides can consummate a deal at the 11th hour. Really love the projectability n this kid.

Comment

@JCRMarlinsbeat: Yes. 36th overall RT @Flamarlins93 Can you clear up weather or not the #Marlins will receive a pick next year for not signing Krook?
                        I sent an email to Jeff Euston at Baseball Prospectus and he just got back to me he is looking into it.

From what I cited above, he did tell me the 2008 MLB Rules are the only publicly available copy and the 2011/2012 revisions (not part of CBA) are not public. Hence why could not find a definitive answer last night. MLB has only issued those press releases about it.

No word on accuracy of that Cubs website yet, but I'll update if anything happens. I suspect Frisario is right and he has a front office source, but no harm in fact checking. I'd like to know where it says this. This is seemingly the first time this has happened. If it does and they don't sign him.

Comment

Most recent CBA: http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...cbas&Itemid=48
                          --------------------
                          I confirmed it with Kevin Goldstein, scouting coordinator for the Astros and former BP writer. His response:

Yes, they get pick 36
                          Last edited by emkayseven; 06-27-2013, 05:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                            I am still holding out hope this becomes like the Andrew Heaney situation and the two sides can consummate a deal at the 11th hour. Really love the projectability n this kid.
                            It is about the physical and not the cash

He had a set price which we agreed to when we drafted him however if he can't pass the physical there is no way u can give him his number.

We also have a track record of not offering deals to guys who fail the physical

What really sucks is we lost 1.5 million off our pool. If we could have signed him for 500K or so we could have offered 1 or 2 of our late round picks that left over million. Chandler Eden or Daulton Jefferies would have been all over 1 mil!!!

Comment

Most recent CBA: http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...cbas&Itemid=48
                              --------------------
                              I confirmed it with Kevin Goldstein, scouting coordinator for the Astros and former BP writer. His response:
                              CBA doesn't have the language. According to BP that isn't public.

But it seems they will get 36 so this is NBD.

Comment

Keith Law said that the Marlins lied to the beat writers and that it was about cash.

Comment

Working...
                                X