This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
    I think you can make a pretty good case that Cueto's been the 2nd best SP in the NL over the last 4 seasons.

If anyone would explain to me why Andrew Heaney was throwing 90mph when he was in the bigs, I might be less inclined to deal him. I know I keep harping on that, but seriously, what the hell?
    "HIS INTEREST LIES NOT IN HOW FAST A GIVEN PITCH TRAVELS, BUT HOW FAST IT APPEARS TO A HITTER."

Heaney is an adherent of the "Effective Velocity" theory. This article was posted the day before Heaney made his debut, and in his pregame interview he said this is the way he pitches.

It's surprising the Marlins would draft a guy like Heaney out of college when they're normally all about hard throwing high school pitchers like Kolek.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      ‏@jonmorosi
      Sources: Marlins have inquired to Tigers about availability of David Price or Rick Porcello. Talks are not serious right now.
      Wonder what it would take for Price?

Comment

• I've also wondered the Price of Price.

Comment

• Originally posted by xeysz View Post
          "HIS INTEREST LIES NOT IN HOW FAST A GIVEN PITCH TRAVELS, BUT HOW FAST IT APPEARS TO A HITTER."

Heaney is an adherent of the "Effective Velocity" theory. This article was posted the day before Heaney made his debut, and in his pregame interview he said this is the way he pitches.

It's surprising the Marlins would draft a guy like Heaney out of college when they're normally all about hard throwing high school pitchers like Kolek.
          But none of that changes the scouting reports that had him throwing in the low 90s consistently. The scouts weren't standing in the batters box.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Details On Jay Bruce’s No-Trade Clause
            By Jeff Todd [November 25, 2014 at 3:29pm CST]
            We heard recently that the Reds will at least listen to offers on outfielder Jay Bruce. While that still seems to be a long shot, it is worth noting that Bruce has an eight-team no-trade clause that would come into play were he shopped.

According to Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca, Bruce can block deals to the Athletics, Blue Jays, D’backs, Marlins, Rays, Red Sox, Twins, and Yankees. That mix of small and large-market teams presumably shields Bruce from destinations he may prefer not to play in while affording him leverage if a big-spending AL East club were to come calling.

Bruce had an off year in 2014, but has been one of the game’s most consistent power threats and is just entering his age-28 season. He is guaranteed $25.5MM over the next two seasons, which includes a buyout for a $13MM club option in 2017.
            From MLB Trade Rumors.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              But none of that changes the scouting reports that had him throwing in the low 90s consistently. The scouts weren't standing in the batters box.
              FWIW, his average fastball velocity was 91.1 in his 17 June innings and 92.3 in 8 2/3 September innings. Dipped to 89.4 in his July start.

He mostly worked between 90-92 in June and 91-94 in September.
              poop

Comment

• ### Determined to upgrade over Garrett Jones at first base, the Marlins have begun exploring trades. Colleague Clark Spencer and I confirmed that the Marlins are interested in Atlanta’s Evan Gattis and Clark was told they also have inquired about Baltimore’s Chris Davis. Both Gattis and Davis are 28.
                Gattis --– who is primarily an outfielder and catcher but has played a bit at first --- hit .263 with 22 homers and 52 RBI last season and isn’t eligible for free agency until after 2018.
                Davis, arbitration-eligible, hit just .196 with 26 homers and 72 RBI last season but was third in AL MVP voting in 2013 (.286, 53 homers, 138 RBI). The Marlins would need to offer quality pitching in return for either, potentially including top prospect Andrew Heaney.
                There's not much left of great quality in the free-agent first base market. The Marlins have lukewarm interest in Giants free agent first baseman Mike Morse (.279, 16, 61).

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy
                Miami Herald
                --------------------
                Not sure how I feel about giving up Heaney for either of those guys.
                Last edited by Big Z; 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Would love Gattis, not sure I would want him for Heaney.
                  poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    Would love Gattis, not sure I would want him for Heaney.
                    Same.

Comment

• Would not give up Heaney for him.

But if we could somehow get him otherwise, all for it.

Comment

• I know Davis had a really bad year last year, but it's almost too tempting to turn down that much power when he's already had a 50 home run season and isn't even 30 yet.

Comment

• I still would like to have Morse. He fits in to our budget better and we don't have to give up a premium arm to get it.

Comment

• I don't like Morse if that's our big move. If Chris Davis produces anything like his 2013 season, and I understand that might be saying a lot since that's the one looking more like an outlier than his 2014 year, he'd be worth it to me. I mean, he had an OPS over 1.000 in 2013 and it's not like Camden Yards is a bandbox. It's a fair ballpark and even with somewhat reduced HR numbers, I don't think it's saying too much to assume that the numbers would translate to Marlins Park. You'd have two premium sluggers batting in the same lineup and even if that means dealing Andrew Heaney, that would be worth it to me. The risk is that we don't know if 2013 Chris Davis exists anymore, or if he ever did.
                            --------------------
                            Is Tampa Bay putting Ben Zobrist on the table? I've wanted that player in Marlins uniform for at least 4 years.
                            Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-26-2014, 12:25 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Heaney for Davis would be a horrible move.

Thats a "Throw them a couple of B- prospects" move at best.
                              --------------------
                              Trading for Obama would negate the impact of the Stanton signing for about half the board.
                              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-26-2014, 12:42 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                Trading for Obama would negate the impact of the Stanton signing for about half the board.
                                If we can put the Jones contract towards the national deficit, then trading for Obama is alright with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X