Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Odd that they don’t mention Ziegler and his $9 million. They’d have to throw in some money, but I’d think someone would be willing to take a chance on him bouncing back.
    I think reality is that we'd have to eat some of the Prado contract, and also trade a guy like Ziegler (who I think should go along with Tazawa anyway).

Comment

Odd that they don’t mention Ziegler and his $9 million. They’d have to throw in some money, but I’d think someone would be willing to take a chance on him bouncing back.
      Well Tazawa u will have to pay most of his salary so not much "savings" there and Ziegler can have value still at the trade deadline if he stays at closer so they don't really wanna just give him away.Its the same with Ozuna-yes he will cost 10 million but u can hold onto him until u get that right offer not because he is making 10 million The reason they mention Gordon is because they have 2 or 3 teams already taking with them so he is likely gone. Stanton,Gordon,Prado are gone due to $$$.

The question with Stanton is what teams are on his list?

Comment

• I really wish the preference, at least as far as the 2018 salary constraints, were a little looser and the offseason was more focused on the rebuild rather than the monetary constraints. So for Ziegler and Tazawa, or at least for Ziegler who will be able to fetch you a prospect, eat the money because it expires after next year and get as good of a prospect as you can for him.

- - - - - - - - - -

The guy i keep seeing them say they want to keep is Ozuna and.... like..... ok guys, solid bluff. We could be bringing back the same roster and it wouldnt really make much sense to bring him back rather than dealing him for pitching.

Comment

• You have to think that the Dodgers losing the WS, that makes them an even stronger trade option for Stanton.

Comment

You have to think that the Dodgers losing the WS, that makes them an even stronger trade option for Stanton.
            Its gonna come down to which teams Stanton will approve a trade to. Right now its only LA and SF. Boston,Toronto,St Louis,SD have interest(as do others) but talk is Stanton has no interest

The #1 thing the FO wants is to get rid of his contract. They know they won't get TOP prospects unless they throw in cash and they are fine with that which is why SF is still a strong contender. If SF takes his contract they are fine with Heliot Ramos and 2 other prospects(Arroyo,Shaw,Andrew Suarez,Beede). Even with LA the best they could do is Mitchell White,Keibert Ruiz and maybe Puig(who would likely be dealt somewhere else since Mattingly wants nothing to do with him and they need ML Ready SP)

If he opens up his list to 1 or 2 more teams it gives us leverage to get better prospects
            Last edited by tjfla; 11-02-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Its gonna come down to which teams Stanton will approve a trade to. Right now its only LA and SF. Boston,Toronto,St Louis,SD have interest(as do others) but talk is Stanton has no interest

The #1 thing the FO wants is to get rid of his contract. They know they won't get TOP prospects unless they throw in cash and they are fine with that which is why SF is still a strong contender. If SF takes his contract they are fine with Heliot Ramos and 2 other prospects(Arroyo,Shaw,Andrew Suarez,Beede). Even with LA the best they could do is Mitchell White,Keibert Ruiz and maybe Puig(who would likely be dealt somewhere else since Mattingly wants nothing to do with him and they need ML Ready SP)

If he opens up his list to 1 or 2 more teams it gives us leverage to get better prospects
              It'd be a shame if we acquired Puig only to deal him. He'd be a great replacement for Stanton for a year or 2 (PR-wise and on the field).

Comment

It'd be a shame if we acquired Puig only to deal him. He'd be a great replacement for Stanton for a year or 2 (PR-wise and on the field).
                Well #1 Mattingly hates him and #2 he is a FA in 2019. I mean they could keep him if they got him but wouldn't surprise if they traded him for younger/under control guys

- - - - - - - - - -

We got 2 victories today-Justin Upton opted in so mean LAA doesn't have to pay more for him next year($ for Dee Gordon) and takes a big bat off the market(drives Ozuna's price up)

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Well #1 Mattingly hates him and #2 he is a FA in 2019. I mean they could keep him if they got him but wouldn't surprise if they traded him for younger/under control guys

- - - - - - - - - -

We got 2 victories today-Justin Upton opted in so mean LAA doesn't have to pay more for him next year($ for Dee Gordon) and takes a big bat off the market(drives Ozuna's price up)
                  I guess we will see what happens. I know Puig is a FA after 2019, but he's cheap next year ($7.5 million). He'd be a nice bat to have after moving Stanton and getting a popular Cuban star help soften the blow of trading the face of the franchise. Even if you were to just keep him for a year while other pieces you receive in trades develop, I think it's worth it.

And yeah, the last day or so has been pretty good for the Marlins trade market.

Comment

• Important Dates

•Nov. 6: The deadline for MLB clubs to formally issue one-year qualifying offers (valued at $17.4MM this offseason, as reported by MLBTR) to free agents is 5:00pm ET. Those players will have 10 days to weigh the offers and can negotiate with other clubs during that 10-day window. After that 5pm deadline, all free agents are eligible to begin negotiating with other teams.
                    •Nov. 13-16: General Managers’ meetings take place in Orlando, Fla.
                    •Nov. 20: Deadline for teams to set their 40-man rosters in advance of the Rule 5 Draft.
                    •Dec. 1: Deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players.
                    •Dec. 10-14: MLB’s annual Winter Meetings take place in Orlando, Fla.
                    •Dec. 14: The Rule 5 Draft is held on the final day of the Winter Meetings.

Winter Meetings are at the Swan and Dolphin if anyone goes
                    Last edited by tjfla; 11-02-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• What an amazing day it will be here in Miami when they trade a 59 HR superstar for a bag of peanuts.

I have movie theater popcorn on standby.

Comment

• What would one do, as a fan, if they were to show up at Winter Meetings? Is it like a convention? Would you stand outside meeting rooms with your ear to the door?
                        Last edited by Nick; 11-02-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          What would one do, as a fan, if they were to show up at Winter Meetings? Is it like a convention? Would you stand outside meeting rooms with your ear to the door?
                          I don’t know if it’s still the case, but the winter meetings used to be a place that people would go to try to land jobs in baseball. I knew people who went and would hand out resumes...mostly for jobs in the minors. I can’t imagine it’s someplace for fans to go, unless you collect autographs from team executives.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                            What would one do, as a fan, if they were to show up at Winter Meetings? Is it like a convention? Would you stand outside meeting rooms with your ear to the door?
                            was about to ask this same thing. Nick, you wanna go?
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I know they would never do this, but id love to see us throw in cash for 6 years for stanton at, say, 10 million a year, if that means we could get 2 top prospects for him. The rationale being that we can get to top prospects and wouldnt have to pay them much of anything for 6 years until they get around free agency/arbitration, and then once they are in line for a big deal we would be done paying stanton at all.

I know they are interested, but i really hope we dont go the SF route. Go to LA or Boston and maybe even NYY and get the best haul you can get.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              What an amazing day it will be here in Miami when they trade a 59 HR superstar for a bag of peanuts.

I have movie theater popcorn on standby.
                              Who knows, but cant operate based solely on fan sentiment. IF we had good attendance when he was here, maybe, but you dont get to cry foul when we have been the lowest attendance team in the league even with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                was about to ask this same thing. Nick, you wanna go?
                                Let's do it. I always wanted to meet tj's secret source.

Comment

Working...
                                X