No announcement yet.

Ozuna Optioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's fair to say Latos hasn't performed the way they hoped he would, though he's been much better since coming off the DL. Haren is as expected if not better.

As for Ozuna, perhaps a mystery injury could explain the defensive dip this year (Is that reflected in numbers still or is that just an "eye" thing?). Especially if it was something like an ankle injury.

Comment

UZR/150 has him -0.5 this season. He was 2.9 last season. His UZR is negative. He's -5 on the plus/minus scale (was +7 last year).

Inside Edge fielding says he's made no impossible, remote, or unlikely plays, but he didn't last year either. However, he's also made no "even chance" plays (plays with between a 40-60% chance of being fielded correctly) out of 4 possibilities. Last year he made 2 out of 3. He's made 6 of 9 likely (60-90%) plays this year. Last year he made 11 of 15, so his percentage is down there too. His percentage of routine plays is down from 99.7% to 98.8%.

The more I look at the data the less I think he's healthy.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

fat.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          Also I'm not sure how you can put Haren and Latos in the failure category. Latos has underwhelmed but failure is harsh, and Haren has been downright good.
          Latos, 75 IP, 4.90 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, xFIP 3.72, 1 WAR
          DeScalfani, 95 IP, 3.68 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, xFIP 4.35, 1.4 WAR

Latos makes a lot more money and is a FA after this year, and DeScalfani has 5 more years of control. It's a failure and there is really no chance they win this one assuming DeScalfani does anything to remain on the big league staff and bullpen. But ultimately, one that doesn't matter as "good" Latos isn't making this a playoff team this year, and DeScalfani isn't a huge loss. He's a churner who you'd hope to eventually replace. It would be nice to have him but I don't think anyone cares otherwise.

I would say selling Caminero for cash considerations to the Pirates was pretty stupid and is more frustrating. At least Latos offered hope at improving. I appreciate that even if it didn't work. This also doubles as more frustration for not moving Cishek. They choose to pay Cishek $6 million bucks versus keeping Caminero. So dumb.

Comment

I could be wrong here, but I think part of Ozuna's problem is that he hasn't made an adjustment to the league like Ed Lucas once did.

All kidding aside, he's always struggled with sliders and he's seen more sliders this year. If you look at his production per pitch, the slider is the one giving him a lot of trouble. Watching the games which for some reason I still do, that seems to be the main issue to me, as well. If you get ahead in the count and throw him a slider, he pretty much chases and does nothing with it more often than not.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, for what it's worth, I still have no problem with the team keeping Cishek this year. It's hard to imagine that he would've sucked this badly.

I know the thought is always to sell high on closers, but a team that expects to win needs high leverage relievers. There was also no way of knowing that Ramos and Capps would be this dominant. The same applies to Caminero for that matter.

Coming into the year, the top 3 relievers on the team were supposed to be Cishek, Dunn, and Morris. All 3 have underperformed.

The only thing I can truly blame the front office for this past offseason was not further addressing SP, assuming it was even possible. Honestly, it's difficult to knock what they did. I think most people were happy with the offseason. The results have sucked, however.

Comment

[MENTION=274]Erick[/MENTION] I think it'd be a safe projection that Capps and Ramos would be good back end guys. It isn't much different than banking on Cishek to repeat with the two of them. We aren't dealing with someone who has thrown 30 innings in the bigs here. I don't think Morris has under-performed this year, if anything he overperformed for the team last year.
              [MENTION=1129]thatnewguy[/MENTION] You failed to mention Hech, Dee, Phelps and Haren have all exceeded expectations. Three of whom were offseason acquisitions.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                fat.
                Came in to post this.

Comment

For what it's worth (probably nothing), Cishek has a 1.08 ERA and a 2.12 FIP with a 20.6 strikeout percentage since returning to the big leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                    For what it's worth (probably nothing), Cishek has a 1.08 ERA and a 2.12 FIP with a 20.6 strikeout percentage since returning to the big leagues.
                    Yea. Hopefully he adds another 2 good weeks and someone takes a gamble on him via trade. Not the worst idea for a contender really.

Marlins ain't paying him $7.5 million next year so it's all about turning him into anything. They'll also save around $1.75 million ditching him end of July. You'd hope that goes on top of next years payroll.

Comment

Caminero was traded due to the bullpen depth. While he is a nice arm,he had control issues in the past and chose Claiborne instead. Claiborne of course has been on the DL all year(Guess he wanted to join the club)

They need to deal Cishek tho ASAP. Get something for him and move on

As for Desco,they dealt him because they thought he was more of a BP arm then a starter. Same with Eovaldi,the thinking was traded the 2 of them and get arms that are starters. Phelps has been a nice arm for us and should let us deal Koehler(if play cards right might get a nice package) and Latos has been meh

Comment

Can't help but wonder what Latos' numbers would look like if we had just put him on the DL for 3 weeks to start the season and let his knee recover.

It was pretty obvious his knee was bugging him and the massive improvement since he's returned only helps confirm it.

Comment

Yeah, I'm honestly hopeful we don't trade him but rather extend him. He seems like a great buy low on a one year deal. With how young he is, get a one year deal to re-build up your value to cash in on a huge deal after 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                            Yeah, I'm honestly hopeful we don't trade him but rather extend him. He seems like a great buy low on a one year deal. With how young he is, get a one year deal to re-build up your value to cash in on a huge deal after 2016.
                            A little premature as it has been 5 good starts, but they could offer him arbitration. I think that comes out to 1/$14.

If he bolts; they get a pick. Could be a win-win both ways. Although, I think they could probably do it for a bit lower.

It's interesting to think about if it's believed he will be a #2 SP again.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              A little premature as it has been 5 good starts, but they could offer him arbitration. I think that comes out to 1/$14.

If he bolts; they get a pick. Could be a win-win both ways. Although, I think they could probably do it for a bit lower.

It's interesting to think about if it's believed he will be a #2 SP again.
                              Last year's qualifying offer was $15.3 million. Could be a bit higher this year. I can't see them offering him 1/$15. They could offer him something like 2/$25 and hope he jumps on it but it's more likely he walks for nothing.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

So offer it to him now and trade him if he says no

Comment

Working...
                                X