Marlins trade Mat Latos, Mike Morse to LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
    Austin Barnes is now the #10 C prospect in baseball, for the record.
    Where are u going to play him with Realmuto starting? The thought was-if they can get Gordon(2b/leadoff) who cares if we have to trade him. Sure they should have gotten more

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
      And that's the only thing that should truly bother anyone about the deal (if that rumor was even true).
      Not the fact that they threw in extra prospect value because they needed the Dodgers to throw in a bunch of money to get a league-average starting pitcher for half a season?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Where are u going to play him with Realmuto starting? The thought was-if they can get Gordon(2b/leadoff) who cares if we have to trade him
      That is a dumb thought process.
      poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        Not the fact that they threw in extra prospect value because they needed the Dodgers to throw in a bunch of money to get a league-average starting pitcher for half a season?
        That honestly doesn't bother me that much because of the player (Gordon) we got in return, unless you are looking at it in terms of how the FO operates as a whole (and I'm guessing that is what you are doing, which is fair). I'm looking at the deal in a vacuum. We got a really good, young player at a scarce position.

Comment

Looking at deals in a vacuum makes zero sense.
          poop

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

That is a dumb thought process.
            So if the Dodgers had said we want Barnes or we won't deal Gordon,u would have kept Barnes? All I am saying is where would u like the kid to play? It is the same with the Latos trade where we traded Chad Wallach. The way teams work is u have your main catcher and the backup(usually defensive minded) plays once a week or for a specific arm. They wanted Realmuto to start so they said might as well get something for these guys.

Good to know tho u prefer Barnes as a backup who plays on Sunday instead of Gordon at 2B

Comment

Looking at deals in a vacuum makes zero sense.
              How does it make zero sense in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                So if the Dodgers had said we want Barnes or we won't deal Gordon,u would have kept Barnes? All I am saying is where would u like the kid to play? It is the same with the Latos trade where we traded Chad Wallach. The way teams work is u have your main catcher and the backup(usually defensive minded) plays once a week or for a specific arm. They wanted Realmuto to start so they said might as well get something for these guys.

Good to know tho u prefer Barnes as a backup who plays on Sunday instead of Gordon at 2B
                This is a terrible post. Not even close to what he was saying. Wow.

Comment

This is strictly a salary dump and anyone thinking otherwise is a crazy person.

Trading the 34th pick to dump Morse screams salary dump.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                    How does it make zero sense in this case?
                    "unless you are looking at it in terms of how the FO operates as a whole"

They gave up more than they otherwise needed to because they couldn't afford Haren otherwise. That is bad, and is indicative of a long-standing issue with this organization, one that pretty clearly isn't going away. It is a wholly unsustainable way to run a franchise.
                    poop

Comment

"unless you are looking at it in terms of how the FO operates as a whole"

They gave up more than they otherwise needed to because they couldn't afford Haren otherwise. That is bad, and is indicative of a long-standing issue with this organization, one that pretty clearly isn't going away. It is a wholly unsustainable way to run a franchise.
                      I agree with you.

I'm just saying that we got a second baseman who had a 3.2 WAR last season and has a 2.9 WAR so far this season. He is decent offensively at a position where offense is scarce and he is pretty damn good defensively. That's why I am not that upset about that specific deal, even if we had to throw in an extra prospect (none of which I am entirely high on outside of Heaney).

I also don't think the Marlins were operating under the assumption that they were getting Haren for half a season. They thought they were contending and wanted to try and add more depth to the rotation.

All of that being said, I completely understand the premise of your argument. I just don't think the Gordon deal is one of their most terrible moves.

Comment

If they package the boat anchor with Latos but leave out the draft pick I think we'd all be very ok with this trade.

We should be sellers (obviously). But not like this.

Comment

I mean, there's still a scenario in which I'll like this trade. But we've all been following this team too long to expect any of these minor leaguers to be anyone of note.

- - - - - - - - - -

The fact we still have no idea who they are is fucking weird.

Comment

I mean, there's still a scenario in which I'll like this trade. But we've all been following this team too long to expect any of these minor leaguers to be anyone of note.

Of course.

But you know as well as I do the reason why we haven't heard any of the names in our return yet.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

The fact we still have no idea who they are is fucking weird.
                              Cause still hammering all the stuff out,they have deal but not cash or prospects yet. Like how much if any cash we are sending

Comment

It just seems really weird to me that they've told Latos and Morse and yet haven't finalized out who they're getting.

Well, let me correct that, it would be really weird if it was any of the other 29 actual MLB clubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X