Full Name: Elih Villanueva
    Born: 07/26/1986
    Birthplace: Coral Springs, FL
    College: Florida State
    Height: 6' 2"
    Weight: 235
    Bats: R
    Throws: R

Selected by the Florida Marlins in the 27th round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft out of Florida State University.
    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 06-10-2011, 04:50 PM.

BeefVillanueva!

Comment

7.1 ip 4h 0er 1bb 5k today.

Has a 2.69 era in AA now. I don't know what to think about him. He doesn't K too many guys but doesn't walk any either. He also doesn't get alot of groundballs. Don't know how he does it but he gets good results.
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

If he got GB's I'd like him, control-gb guys are rather underrated because their upside is limited but they make good back end rotation guys.

He's a massive FB pitcher though (44.6% FB rate this year, 40.3% last year).

Comment

8ip 4h 0r 2bb 2k 4:16 GB:FB ratio...

Any chance the guy can beat the odds and become a Bronson Arroyo, Jeremy Guthrie, Kevin Slowey type?
          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
            8ip 4h 0r 2bb 2k 4:16 GB:FB ratio...

Any chance the guy can beat the odds and become a Bronson Arroyo, Jeremy Guthrie, Kevin Slowey type?
            If anyone from the Double-A starting staff makes it, it's gonna be Sanabia in my opinion (5-1, 1.73 ERA 56/13 K/BB). However, Villa has always put up good numbers. He's not eligible for the 40-man this off season,(unlike Sanabia) which is good, so maybe he can sneak into the bigs at some point next year.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I think Sanabia is ahead of Villanueva in terms of development and readiness, but I'm starting to think EV might make a fine end-of-the-rotation guy someday. The flyballs are scary though...
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                I think Sanabia is ahead of Villanueva in terms of development and readiness, but I'm starting to think EV might make a fine end-of-the-rotation guy someday. The flyballs are scary though...
                The flyballs are way too scary

48% fly ball rate. Nearly half the balls in play are flyballs. That's just crazy bad.

Slowey's the only one named by Ralph with a massive flyball pitcher like that, but his strike out rates in the minors were a lot more obscene (basically 1 per inning). Very doubtful Elih can put up that kind of K/BB in the majors. I really don't have any hope for him.

Comment

Agree with NNY and 21. EV is an organizational arm that doesn't get past AAA and Sanabia is the one who makes it if any.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Agree with NNY and 21. EV is an organizational arm that doesn't get past AAA and Sanabia is the one who makes it if any.
                    I think the only way he'll make it is if he has great numbers next year, I think that's how it'll happen if it does.
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Elih could make it in the same way that Graham Taylor "made it" - due to an emergency and some solid minor league numbers, he gets called up for a few starts, gets knocked around, and doesn't ever return.

Comment

He threw a no-hitter today. It lasted 5 innings

Comment

Fun with Elih:

Leads all of AA with
                          28 starts (tied first with a lot of players)
                          2.26 ERA (Koehler is 4th, 2nd in SOU)
                          0.96 WHIP (Only Rudy Owens was also under 1)
                          179 IP (no other player broke 170. Koehler is 7th, and 2nd in SOU)
                          4 CG (Tied first with Brooks Brown, only one other player had more than 2)
                          3 SHO (First, only three other players had 2)
                          and was 2nd in Wins with 14 (Koehler first with 16)

6th in BB/9

Koehler also finished 3rd in K's.

Not just Cy Young of the southern league, but all of AA baseball

Comment

good stuff there

Comment

Yusmeiro Petit 2.0. Sell high, if there's value present.

Comment

Working...
                              X