Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helms Weighs in with His Player-manager Opinion on the Impending Skipper Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Helms Weighs in with His Player-manager Opinion on the Impending Skipper Situation

He's so great. lol

Wes Helms said Tuesday he'd like to have an opportunity before the season is over to pull Jack McKeon aside and pick his brain about managing.

The veteran infielder, who has had conversations with owner Jeffrey Loria about becoming a coach in the organization once his playing career is over, said he's been impressed with the tactics McKeon has used to help turn the Marlins around.

Helms said McKeon has pushed all the right buttons -- from asking All-Star Gaby Sanchez to bunt and pulling pitchers in the middle of at-bats (showing winning is above all else) to "knowing when to show tough love" and "pat a guy on the butt."

No example of the latter burns brighter, Helms said, than Hanley Ramirez, who after being slotted into the clean-up spot by McKeon went into Tuesday's game hitting .384 (2nd highest in the majors over the span) with 19 runs scored, six doubles, five home runs and 24 RBI (2nd most in baseball) in 23 games.

"Hanley is going to be Hanley," Helms said. "There are some things with Hanley we just kind of have to deal with, as far as I guess the showboat stuff. It's not going to change. We've tried to, but it's not. But the way he's approached his at-bats, the way he's approached his defense, the way he's come to the field everyday and not really bothered anybody, standing upon himelf, I've definitely seen a big difference [since McKeon took over]."

Helms said when the Marlins were in Texas last month, he had a conversation with veteran umpire Joe West about Ramirez and his change in attitude.

"Joe West said if this kid plays 162 games with 100 percent heart, he'll be a Hall of Famer. And it's true. He's that good," Helms said.

"Hanley is one of these guys where he'll always need that guy to keep him where he needs to be. Not all of us can self-motivate ourselves. Not all of us have that extra drive by ourselves. Some of us in the game, it's not just him, there's other guys, need that need that extra pat in the butt to get us going. I think Jack and whatever they do for next year, if it's Jack or whatever, that's the decision they have to think about to keep him going. Because when he's going, this team rolls. He is the sparkplug for our team."

The Marlins returned home Tuesday night on pace to finish with their best record in July (17-7 in 2003), and a 13-4 mark since June 29 that is tied with Boston and Texas for the most wins in baseball over that span.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#ixzz1SbIRmnyD
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Tomorrow's Headline:

Sometimes-walker murdered by internet annoyinguy Erick

Comment

I don't get it.

Comment

Erick hates your guts because you don't hate Wes Helms' guts.

and sometimes you walk and sometimes you don't

Comment

I'm not a Wes Helms fan?

Comment

:-o

Comment

It's just not a Wes Helms quote unless it somehow references Hanley and his perceived shortcomings.

Comment

"Hanley is going to be Hanley," Helms said. "There are some things with Hanley we just kind of have to deal with, as far as I guess the showboat stuff. It's not going to change. We've tried to, but it's not.

FUCK YOU WES HELMS YOU ROTTING PILE

Who the fuck does this guy this he is to open his fat trap and talk shit?

Comment

He thinks he's Wes Helms.

Comment

Fuck Wes Helms.

Comment

Wes Helms reminds me of my 5'8" 280 pound step-dad talking shit about Dwight Howard's effort on the basketball court.
                      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Stop worrying about Hanley and fucking retire already, idiot.

Comment

Wes seems to have some kind of inflated ego. This isn't Derek Jeter critiquing a younger player, this is a guy who has done absolutely nothing noteworthy in his career whatsoever and he's talking like he's some kind of accomplished veteran.

If you're a shitty bench player, you shut your mouth and let the real baseball players do what they do.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                            Wes seems to have some kind of inflated ego. This isn't Derek Jeter critiquing a younger player, this is a guy who has done absolutely nothing noteworthy in his career whatsoever and he's talking like he's some kind of accomplished veteran.

If you're a shitty bench player, you shut your mouth and let the real baseball players do what they do.
                            This is why I can't stand him.

On top of the fact that he sucks, he says stupid shit.

Comment

Hanley hit more homeruns before he turned 25 than worthless Wes has in his career

Comment

Working...
                              X