2018 Spring Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    Tigers aren't too far away. They're going to be the most isolated after all the moves I think. Obviously still fairly close to Tampa, but still.
    Ya they are the Northern most when Atlanta leaves. Nothing like it was when I was a kid

Kissimmee-Astros
    Winter Haven-Indians
    Baseball City-Royals
    Lakeland-Tigers
    Plant City-Reds
    Viera-Marlins

Baseball City was the best

Comment

I loved Dodgertown in Vero Beach. It was like going back in time.

Comment

Tim Healey‏Verified account
        @timbhealey

Wei-Yin Chen isn’t expected to be ready for Opening Day, Don Mattingly said.

Looks like we are only getting 1 month of Chen for 2018. Rotation now is Straily/Urena/Conley/Peters,Nicolino,Smith,Elieser,Graves,Turner(2 spots)

#4 will likely be a vet signing or if we get an arm in JT deal

Comment

Did we get insurance on that contract?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            Did we get insurance on that contract?
            Thing is if Chen would have gotten TJ when he was told to then he would be FULLY healthy by May 2018. He just keeps delaying it

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Thing is if Chen would have gotten TJ when he was told to then he would be FULLY healthy by May 2018. He just keeps delaying it
              I know, it's ridiculous.

Comment

Theres gotta be something that can be done if he continues to purposefully put off a surgery he clearly needs. ITs year 3 at this point. The fact that e are in year 3 of this fuckers continued putting off a surgery that it was obvious that he was best off getting in year 1 is absolutely absurd.

Comment

Mattingly says rotation is

Straily/Urena/JARLIN GARCIA(Maybe)/Conley,Smith,Nicolino,Eleiser,Graves,Turner,Peters (2 Spots) He wants Garcia as a Starter

NO LHP in pen and NONE in AAA either,so looks like we will be signing a few arms still. When I say NONE I mean we have Cervenka/Del Pozo/Nicolino,Smith,Conley but none are really MLB RP even tho Conley was in college

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  I know, it's ridiculous.
                  Craig Mish‏Verified account @CraigMish · 24h24 hours ago

Tidbit of the day : When Chen was a FA Marlins Front Office was divided on him & Chen had other offers. So Mr. Loria stepped in and dealt w Scott Boras 1 on 1. That’s how Chen became a Marlin.

Thank Jeff for Chen and his crazy contract

- - - - - - - - - -

The mid level SP market has been set at 8 mil a YEAR

Cashner for 8 mil a year or Straily for 3.5 million?

Roch Kubatko‏Verified account
                  @masnRoch

Source: #orioles are signing RHP Andrew Cashner to a 2-year deal with $16 million guaranteed
                  Last edited by tjfla; 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

To be fair, I actually liked the Chen signing at the time. He had put up good numbers in Baltimore for years, and it seemed like a nice addition behind Jose. Obviously things haven’t worked out as hoped.

Comment

Just make Conley a relief pitcher now before he Brad Hands for another team.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

My rotation preference: Peters, Richards, Caleb Smith, Urena, and Straily. Ben Meyer is the darkest horse. Nothing about Garcia suggests he would be a capable starter. Alcantara failed to impress at AA. Conley to the pen or bust. Nicolino's time is over. Beltre is a sleeper for the bullpen.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                          Has anyone been to the new astros/Nats spring training stadium in WPB? Im probably gonna go to a marlins game there or RDS depending on the schedule.
                          Yes. Beautiful, accessible, and vast! Must be eight or ten fields in addition to the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                            My rotation preference: Peters, Richards, Caleb Smith, Urena, and Straily. Ben Meyer is the darkest horse. Nothing about Garcia suggests he would be a capable starter. Alcantara failed to impress at AA. Conley to the pen or bust. Nicolino's time is over. Beltre is a sleeper for the bullpen.
                            Love Andy Beltre thought we would lose him in Rule 5

Been talking about Conley to pen for 3 years but knowing us we will trade him for something. Much like TK in LA this year-people wanted to make him a RP for years and now he is one

They need to do something with lefty in the pen

Comment

Been talking about Conley to pen for 3 years but knowing us we will trade him for something. Much like TK in LA this year-people wanted to make him a RP for years and now he is one

I'm wondering if they make Chen a RP. Check out his 3 year split on first 15 pitches thrown - http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/split...type/pitching3. Add in some max effort and you might have something. If he's never going to be healthy, I'd rather have the 70 innings versus 5 starts and ouch I'm hurt.

Right now I'd go with Straily, Urena, some cheap veteran FA # 4 type SP, C. Smith and camp winner Despaigne/Nicolino as the 5

Barraclough, Wittgren, Steckenrider, Ziegler, Tazawa, Conley, Despaigne/Nicolino and E. Hernandez

J. Garcia starting in AAA to see how that goes, D. Peters coming up Mid-May to replace someone, and Alcantara and Gallen up when they are ready in the summer.

Ellington and O'Grady hanging out in AAA ready for any bullpen call-ups

Chen on the DL until ? and maybe he's a reliever?

Ultimately doesn't really matter. This year is all about individual development and getting any of these guys to longterm options.

Comment

Great points. I was right there with you, sweating out that R5 draft! Yes, it's BP or bust for AC.

Comment

Working...
                                X