No announcement yet.

The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just not sure if I'm ok with an owner named Tagg. Although, I guess Jeb's not much better. lol

Comment

• at least Jeb is an acronym for John Ellis Bush

Tagg is short for Taggart.

Taggart.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Taggart, another fine name in a long line of the very finest

Gaskell
        Willard
        Wilcken
        Ottinger
        Elwood
        Last edited by TheMendozaLine; 05-06-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• I want Jeter and would love for him to be the face of the ownership of this franchise like Magic Johnson is/was for the dodgers, but am i the only one who wants no part of him as president of baseball operations? Granted, going from David Samson to anyone would be a plus, but Jeter does not like watching baseball and will not want to put in the work. Much younger but reminds me of Phil Jackson with the Knicks. We should be 100% looking at hiring a guy from LA under friedman, Cubs under Epstein, or anyone else with a modern day grip on baseball.

Comment

• Yeah, I agree. I love Jeter as part of ownership and a face, but I'd rather have an experienced GM (and a successful one....or at least someone who's worked under a successful one like you mentioned).

---

I just read a report that A-Rod passed on the chance to join the Romney group's bid.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
              I just read a report that A-Rod passed on the chance to join the Romney group's bid.
              List is getting shorter of potential chances.....I'm now convinced "No Sale"

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                List is getting shorter of potential chances.....I'm now convinced "No Sale"
                ya thats stupid. there is clearly going to be a sale in the next year.

Comment

• I agree that a sale is more than likely going to occur.

Team is unlikely to compete anytime soon.
                  Roster will likely require a complete tear down.
                  The fan base is apathetic to the point where All-Star Game strip sales are lagging.
                  Sports TV rights bubble is either at it's peak, or in early stages of bursting as cord-cutters grow in number.
                  Loria is being considered for an ambassadorship.
                  Loria is approaching 80.
                  Our collective disdain seems to be influencing his decision.
                  Payback to the County is 5% on anything over $200 million sale. (And the groups have likely already shot down the idea of pushing this into next March so the payment is zero.)

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    ya thats stupid. there is clearly going to be a sale in the next year.
                    Loria clearly wants his $1.3 billion....that is a $500 to $600 million overspend, especially with the TV rights $ about to run out. He'll be too stubborn to sell high.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Party View Post
                    I agree that a sale is more than likely going to occur.

Sports TV rights bubble is either at it's peak, or in early stages of bursting as cord-cutters grow in number.
                    I agree and I can't see why anyone would spend that kind of money on this team, it's a losing proposition. Baseball has a real problem keeping relevant in the next 10 years unless they act soon to embrace cord-cutters.

Comment

Loria clearly wants his $1.3 billion....that is a $500 to $600 million overspend, especially with the TV rights $ about to run out. He'll be too stubborn to sell high.

- - - - - - - - - -

I agree and I can't see why anyone would spend that kind of money on this team, it's a losing proposition. Baseball has a real problem keeping relevant in the next 10 years unless they act soon to embrace cord-cutters.
                      That is not even close to a 500 or 600 million overspend. Being the only team for sale and a team with a new indoor ballpark with a solid young core and a latin fanbase and upcoming tv deal, that is a slight overspend, but not even close to 500 or 600 million. no team in mlb will be that much of an overspend given the current day and age in pro sports. even if it is a slight overspend, being the only team for sale and the fact that it is obvious that Loria wants no part of this team anymore, this team will 100% be sold by opening day next year at the very latest.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        That is not even close to a 500 or 600 million overspend. Being the only team for sale and a team with a new indoor ballpark with a solid young core and a latin fanbase and upcoming tv deal, that is a slight overspend, but not even close to 500 or 600 million. no team in mlb will be that much of an overspend given the current day and age in pro sports. even if it is a slight overspend, being the only team for sale and the fact that it is obvious that Loria wants no part of this team anymore, this team will 100% be sold by opening day next year at the very latest.
                        Then we will have to agree to disagree. I think anything over $700 million is definitely an overspend. The new ballpark, has some it's shine polished off of it....6 years is not new anymore, especially when you see Atlanta's new gem.

As for the All-Star game tix sales lagging....yeeesh had no idea that was happening, but this is a direct result of Loria's style of ownership. So many folks are turned off either permanently, or won't buy until he is officialy gone, it directly effects the ASG in sales. I could buy season tix but won't. I'd love to go to a HR hitting contest, but not bad enough to buy season tix in order to get to get a seat. Nor will I buy any gear...because that means Loria will profit.
                        Last edited by Maddawg; 05-11-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• How do cord cutters watch baseball? Fox Sports Go and things like that?

Comment

Then we will have to agree to disagree. I think anything over $700 million is definitely an overspend. The new ballpark, has some it's shine polished off of it....6 years is not new anymore, especially when you see Atlanta's new gem.

As for the All-Star game tix sales lagging....yeeesh had no idea that was happening, but this is a direct result of Loria's style of ownership. So many folks are turned off either permanently, or won't buy until he is officialy gone, it directly effects the ASG in sales. I could buy season tix but won't. I'd love to go to a HR hitting contest, but not bad enough to buy season tix in order to get to get a seat. Nor will I buy any gear...because that means Loria will profit.
                            Exactly, because of loria. That will end when he is gone. simple as this, any professional sports team in this day and age will sell at a premium, and will liekly sell at a profit when any future owner ends up selling it. sports teams are overvalued, no doubt, but they are as great of an investment as there possibly is. There are almost 0 sports teams that end up selling at a loss, even if teams end up losing money on an annual basis. the heat lose money annually. if the arison's sell the team they will make an immense profit. sports teams are worth a shit ton, plain and simple. whether you agree with that valuation or not, they are sold almost exclusively at a profit.

Comment

• The All Star Game and HR Derby will sell out easily

Everyone is just waiting for when there are other options beyond buying the strip

Comment

• I don't think MLB has a problem with cord-cutters. It's definitely the league best equipped to enter the age of cord-cutters. MLBAM is one of the best videostreaming providers in the world. The RSNs and cable providers are behind.

It has a marketing problem which stems from a variety of things including pace of play and stars.

At the end of the day it's very difficult to determine whether someone overpaid or underpaid for a MLB. There are only 30 in existence and heavily sought after.

Comment

Working...
                                X