2011 and 2012 Payroll Not Expected to Rise Much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 and 2012 Payroll Not Expected to Rise Much

For less, the Marlins have had success generating more.

The organization has found a way to maximize its dollars and still field a competitive product.

The 2010 Opening Day payroll, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts, was $47,429,719, roughly a $10 million increase from 2009.

The Marlins have new ballpark opening in 2012. With the security of the building, along with new revenue streams, payroll projections are expected to climb in the upcoming years.

But just how much will the increase be?

Indications are the 2011 payroll will be slightly higher in 2011. So look for the figure to be in the $50 million range.

In 2012, the first year of the new ballpark, the climb is expected to be in the $55-$60 million range.

Key for the payrolls the next couple of years is the cost of the retractable-roof building in the Little Havana section of Miami. Thus far, everything has been on budget and on schedule. There always is a chance for some unforeseen costs.

If everything runs smoothly, the most dramatic jump in payroll should come as early as 2013. Then, there is a chance the leap in payroll could be towards the middle of the MLB pack. So in three years, the payroll could escalate to about $80 million, a figure the franchise has never seen.

The two big salaries the club already has for 2011 are Hanley Ramirez ($11 million) and Josh Johnson ($7.75 million). So those two are taking up $18.75 million of the expected $50 million payroll next year.

In 2012, Ramirez and Johnson will combine to make $28.75 million.

The Marlins have the flexibility to offer Dan Uggla and Ricky Nolasco multi-year contracts. The organization is expected to pursue locking both of them up after the season.

Uggla, who has 139 career homers, is closing in on Mike Lowell's all-time home run record of 143. He should achieve that by September, and build on it in the future. Nolasco, who has 50 career wins, is second on the Marlins' all-time list behind Dontrelle Willis (68).

-- Joe Frisaro
    http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv...l_project.html

It's Frisaro, so take it with the appropriate giant grain of salt. But uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh $55-60 million with a new stadium opening?

this isn't close to gr8

it's like gr2

Comment

Get Your Marlins Tickets Now!

Comment

Serious Fun?

Comment

Get On It?

Comment

No Thanks

Comment

So basically we're going to tread water for another three years in hopes everything clicks one year instead of going on and put together a very good team. That is going to play very well with the Heat building a team that may dominate the sports culture in Miami year around after next June.

Gotta love how the Marlins FO lives in a world of their own where reason and critical thinking take a backseat to short term goals.
              Last edited by Party; 07-26-2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Well, it's Frisaro, although this is in line with Samson's comments about how payroll won't rise much until attendance/revenue rises.

And I don't know how long this "agreement" with the MLB/MLBPA lasts and if it's affected by the new stadium opening (i.e. because they won't be getting as much/any revenue sharing, the agreement lapses), but I can't imagine they'd be happy with the Marlins operating with a $55 million payroll when the new stadium opens.

Comment

Before Monday's late game against the Giants at AT&T Park, President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said he anticipated exploring multiyear agreements with "more than one" of his current players. A National League source who's spoken with the Marlins said they hope to sign Uggla and Nolasco long-term this offseason.
                  http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,7519263.story

Remainder of the article basically repeats the PBP one with a Cantu sadface quote about having to leave the Marlins if that happens.

I dunno. This "long term deals" - "deals" plural - kind of runs counter to Frisaro's $50-$55/60 thought. I mean I know the Marlins would have room to accomodate Uggla, Nolasco, Hanley, and JJ on long term deals and still rock that payroll, but I'd imagine if the team is doing long term deals for guys they aren't going to also keep a super low payroll. Common sense would dictate that if the FO is willing to explore long term deals, it's because they're anticipating more revenue and more of that revenue going back towards the payroll (and payroll increasing more than marginally), because they'd at least have to acknowledge the possibility that one of those contracts becomes an albatross and they have to eat it one day, and they wouldn't invest in a long term contract if the potential albatross off a contract could cripple them for years and jesus h this is a runon sentence so I'll stop here.

Then again, common sense has never prevailed in that front office, so I mean, whatevs, maybe it means nothing.

Comment

I'd be very surprised if we are competitive and they don't raise payroll.
                    poop

Comment

Honestly nothing this FO does would surprise me.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

I don't have a problem with this, seems like a pretty sound business model to me. Especially with the cost-controlled talent we have right now. $55-60 million in 2012 should allow us to be competitive. I also imagine that 2012 payroll could be effected by season ticket purchases. If that number is really high, payroll for 2012 probably goes up.

Now if they do this and draw awesome and then DON'T raise it to $80 mil in 2013, I will be pissed.

Of course, this is Frisaro, so who knows what will actually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                          Honestly nothing this FO does would surprise me.
                          Signing an ace pitcher in the offseason would surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfella View Post
                            Signing an ace pitcher in the offseason would surprise me.
                            We did that last year.

Comment

ehe

Comment

Working...
                              X