SFM Interview with 8th Round Draft Pick Alan Oaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFM Interview with 8th Round Draft Pick Alan Oaks

The Marlins' 8th round pick Alan Oaks was kind enough to take some time and answer some questions for us. Afterward, Oaks told me that he will be in Jupiter on Saturday to sign his contract with the Marlins. Oaks is a 6'3", 230-pound right handed pitcher from University of Michigan. He throws a 90-92 mph fastball, a low-80s slider and a high-70s changeup.

SFM: You were a 50th round pick as an outfielder and, according to Baseball America, were the best high school hitter in Michigan. What was the reason for switching to pitching full-time? Do you enjoy hitting or pitching more?

AO: My hitting career at Michigan hadn't been the best. Yes, I made all the highlight reels with the Home Run off David Price, but thats about where the highlights ended. I never really hit above 250 in three years, and had plenty of strikeouts. I had always thrown bullpens at Michigan, and had been a pitcher in high school, but my Jr. year, our pitching was struggling, and we needed another arm. I had a few appearances, performed well, and Coach Maloney gave me my first start against Michigan State. I threw about 30 innings, and Coach Maloney and I decided that my best chance to make it to the Major Leagues would be as a pitcher, so I decided to concentrate full time on pitching. There's nothing better than striking someone out, so I would have to say pitching, but I sort of miss hitting Home runs, and taking BP every day.

SFM: Is there any indication of whether the Marlins will use you as a starter or a reliever?

AO: There hasnt really been any indication as to what I will be used for. I am open and ready to do anything they ask.

SFM: You hit a pinch hit walk-off home run in the 2007 Nashville Regional off of David Price. Can you describe the feeling of hitting a game-winning home run off of someone who was considered one of the best college pitchers that year?

AO: It was an unreal moment, and one I will remember for the rest of my life. I often replay it in my head to bring back the good feelings from that day. Coach always tells me it is the biggest HR in Michigan Baseball history! Shocking! There is a big blown up picture in the Michigan Baseball Hall of Fame too, so it's nice that it will be remembered forever.

SFM: Is there any player you look at now in the majors and try to model your game after?

AO: I always liked Roger Clemens and the way he was a bulldog out there. Me and him are similar in stature, not necessarily "stuff," but I like his approach to the game.

SFM: Can you describe the atmosphere on draft day? Was it low key or were family, friends, neighbors, etc. invited to a draft party?

AO: On draft day, I was back and forth between my house at school and the locker room. I was in the locker room by myself when my name got called. It was an amazing moment, and did not know at the time I was going to get picked. Immediately after, my phone would not stop making noise for about 2 hours. Tuesday night, my parents were in Ann Arbor, and several other teammates came out to dinner with my parent and I. Wednesday night we had friends and family over to my house in White Lake.

SFM: What would you consider your biggest weakness as a baseball player?

AO: If there was one thing I would like to do better in baseball, I would say be able to have even better command of all of my pitches.

SFM: What is going to be your first major purchase?

AO: My first major purchase will most likely be a car. Most college seniors don't get the normal slotted amount as juniors, but I am very happy about signing for what I did. My fellow Michigan seniors and I joke about how we got the "senior discount."

SFM: Was there at any point that moment were you realized/Marlins implied that you were going to be a draft pick in the higher rounds?

AO: Kevin Ibach called me around 11 O clock and told me that they had me high on their board, and that if any other teams contacted me, he wanted me to let him know so that he could try to get me, because he really wanted me to be a Marlin.

SFM: Now that you're being paid for what you do on the field, are you planning on making changes to your diet and work out routine?

AO: I am already a pretty big person, so I have always had to watch what I eat. During the season, I tried to maintain a strict diet, even though we eat out so much, but I enjoy cooking for myself and eating healthy. I am interested to see what the workout routines will be, because they have changed here at Michigan a lot over my 4 years.

SFM: Do you work out with any current or former major leaguers or other prospects?

AO: Several of my former teammates are in the minor leagues. Most notably Mike Cervenak, Zach Putnam as well as Jason Christian, Adam Abraham, and Nate Recknagel. I have also played with current Oakland A, Brett Anderson and when I was 16, I played with current Florida Marlin Cameron Maybin.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Very cool, MK7. Hopefully the others are as good as this.

Comment

This is easily the coolest thing this site has done. Good shit, MK7.

To me, this is most interesting:
      SFM: Was there at any point that moment were you realized/Marlins implied that you were going to be a draft pick in the higher rounds?

AO: Kevin Ibach called me around 11 O clock and told me that they had me high on their board, and that if any other teams contacted me, he wanted me to let him know so that he could try to get me, because he really wanted me to be a Marlin.

Comment

Good job guys. I like it a lot. Glad we got a response. Crazy how social media is evolving. Five years ago this wouldn't be possible without facebook (assuming that how you contacted him)
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Other than the shark question not making the cut, great interview!
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

Working...
          X