Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    He doesnt actually have that much power any more, Hill and Denbo do. And im not going to, he's been bad. But we also dont know how much Loria interfered. Also, wouldnt me not defending Hill kind of go against your opinion that im a blind supporter of the new ownership group despite the fact that i've said probably 100 times now that im not a blind defender, im just not going to immediately react to trades in a long overdo rebuild that will take 2-3 years to truly evaluate?
    I just can't believe this guys been with us for all these years now, through two separate owners and nobody can figure out if he actually does anything. If there are questions about how much power the guy who is supposed to be, at least in title, the guy with the final say in all player transactions then your organization has a problem, because the fact that he's still here means there are either two possible scenarios.

1. He was the fall guy for Loria and Samson, completely hamstrung by Loria's cheapskate ways, and now he's the fall guy for Denbo and Jeter, not much power but still here to be the face of the Marlins moves. Why do you need a fall guy if you're confident in the moves you're making?

2. Other possibility is he was the driving force of our FO in the last 3-4, he was the guy making the deals, the architect of our roster the last couple of years. Well, Jeter and co. have repeatedly thrown the prior administration under the bus for wasteful spending and the way the team was built, so if that's the case and we're trying something completely different how could the architect of the failed previous administration still be here?

It makes no sense any way you look at it. You wanna change things, it should be scorched earth, because so far it looks like more of the same.

Comment

They will. What is mike hill supposed to say if asked that question? The guy is invited to spring training, they cant just say no he wont be on the team and especially cant admit given the already terrible optics of the offseason that they want to keep him in the minors for a few months to get another year of team control.
      Is that terrible optics though? Cubs fans were fist pumping with what they did with Bryant. They got it and Theo wasn't coy about it at all.

I think it's actually good optics. It inspires confidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        Is that terrible optics though? Cubs fans were fist pumping with what they did with Bryant. They got it and Theo wasn't coy about it at all.

I think it's actually good optics. It inspires confidence.
        I specifically remember lots of people crushing them for doing it so blatantly. It was bad press for a few days because Boras' gasbag ass came out and made a mess of it. And Theo epstein doing it with Bryant is different than Mike Hill doing it. Also, just what is he supposed to say when asked that question? What else could mike hill possibly say? Im telling you it would not go over well if he came out and said that, even if it is so clearly the right move.

Comment

• Say he's coming to spring training, he's going to start the year in AAA, and we expect him to be up with the club and contributing later this year. That's it.

I mean none of this media posturing matters really, but if he is there opening day that is a huge indication to me they don't know what they are doing. Evaluating a prospect differently than a scouting magazine is one thing and I can give them a pass on Alcantara/Guzman criticism because who knows what any of these guys become, but flat out making unarguably wrong decisions on player's service time is unforgivable. They lose all credibility if they do something that stupid.

Comment

Say he's coming to spring training, he's going to start the year in AAA, and we expect him to be up with the club and contributing later this year. That's it.

I mean none of this media posturing matters really, but if he is there opening day that is a huge indication to me they don't know what they are doing. Evaluating a prospect differently than a scouting magazine is one thing and I can give them a pass on Alcantara/Guzman criticism because who knows what any of these guys become, but flat out making unarguably wrong decisions on player's service time is unforgivable. They lose all credibility if they do something that stupid.
            I agree. I just dont think, given everything that Hill, Jeter, and Denbo have actually said publicly in terms of the rebuild i find it hard to believe they dont know better than to do that. Not to mention i dont think Sierra will perform well enough to earn the job anyways cause i dont think he's ready, so it likely wont matter anyways. Time will tell i guess.

Comment

• Craig Mish

Verified account

@CraigMish
              3m3 minutes ago
              More
              Updating Marlins FOX PBP TV search. Interviews are completed w names I previously mentioned. Braun, Levering, Severino, Mota. Also now add @CraigMinervini who has officially auditioned for the job.
              He wont get it, but please dont give it to Minervini. I dont hate him, but i definitely dont want him as the PBP guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Not with Acuna. They asked for him over the Meetings and were told no but they are fine with that because Atlanta has so much good stuff. Now with Washington/Robles and Toronto/Vlad Jr this is still true. If Washington wants Yelich or JT the offer starts with Robles

Same with White Sox. They asked for Moncada and were told NO however CWS has so much stuff they were fine with that however CWS weren't interested in Kopech,Robert and more
                I don't see Atlanta as having great stuff if you take Acuna out of the equation. Gohara is a good pitching prospect, but he's not the elite prospect that those other guys (Acuna, Robles, Guererro) are. And it isn't like it's going to be Gohara and the Braves next best 2 prospects. You've said previously that Wright is off limits.

Comment

• [Yelich] was also said by friends to have been disappointed over the lack of consistent communication with the Marlins front office regarding their plans; Yelich did speak to Hill around the time of the Winter Meetings, and again this month, but word is he did not feel like the new regime kept him as apprised of their intentions and goings-on as he was by former team president David Samson in past years (Hill only said he’s kept in touch but wouldn’t discuss what they talked about).

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...r-for-marlins/
                  So that is a bummer. The other article made it seem like Jeets and co. spoke with him about what's going on and Yelich just has been lashing out, but this one indicates the Marlins aren't really "selling" the rebuild to him. That is disappointing.

Who knows what is true. Really want to fast forward 2 months and see how things look entering the year.

Comment

He wont get it, but please dont give it to Minervini. I dont hate him, but i definitely dont want him as the PBP guy.
                    Ugh, no, not Minervini. He's good as a "sideline" and pre/post game reporter, but not as a play by play. He filled in a couple times last year, and wasn't very good.

Scott Braun still has my vote, and is by far my first choice (admittedly he's the only one I've heard of the candidates, but I've definitely enjoyed his commentary).

Comment

• Keith Law put out the bottom half of his new Top 100 prospects list this morning and Alcantara comes in at 87.

Baseball America's Top 100 just came out as well...Alcantara is 70 and Guzman is 87.
                      Last edited by fauowls44; 01-22-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Man all of that complaining for no top 100 prospects for naught.

To note, not entirely defending the front office, but you got to give them the 2018 season. More reason to keep Yelich and Realmuto until at least next year to see if the pitcher's pan out.

Comment

Man all of that complaining for no top 100 prospects for naught.

To note, not entirely defending the front office, but you got to give them the 2018 season. More reason to keep Yelich and Realmuto until at least next year to see if the pitcher's pan out.
                          pretty much. Everyone loved the "we traded 3 good players and didnt get back a single top 100 guy" based on one mlb.com list written months ago. Nevermind the fact that neidert was on BA.com's list at midseason.

Comment

• I wasn't involved in the Top 100 prospects discussion, but there are 32 teams in the mlb, if our best prospect is the 70th or 87th best prospect that's pretty terrible after trading away the best top of the lineup in baseball. Obviously a majority of that blame goes to the previous administration and GM, who is also our current GM.

Comment

pretty much. Everyone loved the "we traded 3 good players and didnt get back a single top 100 guy" based on one mlb.com list written months ago. Nevermind the fact that neidert was on BA.com's list at midseason.

Prospect rankings don’t matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                Prospect rankings don’t matter.
                                i agree.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                I wasn't involved in the Top 100 prospects discussion, but there are 32 teams in the mlb, if our best prospect is the 70th or 87th best prospect that's pretty terrible after trading away the best top of the lineup in baseball. Obviously a majority of that blame goes to the previous administration and GM, who is also our current GM.
                                there are 30 teams in mlb. And you cant just talk about the talent we traded away and not even bring up the fact that Dee Gordon and Stanton both had large salaries for years into the future. Stanton has a deal that will make you glad we traded him in a few years and Gordon's deal doesnt give you much in the way of surplus value. We did pretty damn well on that Gordon deal (we'll see how well in the future but as of just the prospects we got we did pretty well) and Stanton fucked us by utilizing his NTC and essentially forcing us to trade him to the Yankees without anyone else on his NTC list truly interested.

Also, people do realize how injury prone Stanton has been in his career, right? He is obviously one of the best players in MLB, but for a team that obviously has severe financial constraints, I cant blame the front office for just wanting to bite the bullet and get rid of the whole contract and not be stuck with an Albert Pujols type deal years down the line.

I also think Guzman is going to be a fucking stud and will rise up those rankings by next offseason so I think that deal wont be nearly as bad as people think given how much money we shed and how good Guzman will be.

- - - - - - - - - -

Damn Chris Volstad re-signed with the White Sox so we will not be seeing a battle of former dissapointing marlins prospects for a rotation spot between him and Jacob Turner.

Comment

Working...
                                X