No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in the world would he agree to opt out?

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      Why in the world would he agree to opt out?
      Well his options are

To stay in Miami and go along with a rebuild and get paid(I know we aren't rebuilding)
      To agree to an opt out/waive no trade and market opens up to 15-20 teams
      To NOT agree to an opt out but waive no trade to West Coast team. SD/SF/LAA/LAD all would want him on a salary dump

Pretty much comes down to does Stanton wanna get paid or win because if he stays in Miami in 2019 he will be looking at 4/5 years of losing bad

- - - - - - - - - -

Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi · 36m36 minutes ago

#STLCards interested in #Marlins outfielders, but no sign yet that Miami will deal Stanton, Ozuna, or Yelich this month

Also hearing Toronto wants 1 of the 3 badly as well. The market is crazy for our guys(teams are lining up for everyone just incase) however looks like the FO agreement is staying in place. Dont be surprised tho by next trade deadline(if new owner is approved) if we sell off even more
      Last edited by tjfla; 07-16-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Well his options are

To stay in Miami and go along with a rebuild and get paid(I know we aren't rebuilding)
        To agree to an opt out/waive no trade and market opens up to 15-20 teams
        To NOT agree to an opt out but waive no trade to West Coast team. SD/SF/LAA/LAD all would want him on a salary dump

Pretty much comes down to does Stanton wanna get paid or win because if he stays in Miami in 2019 he will be looking at 4/5 years of losing bad

- - - - - - - - - -

Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi · 36m36 minutes ago

#STLCards interested in #Marlins outfielders, but no sign yet that Miami will deal Stanton, Ozuna, or Yelich this month

Also hearing Toronto wants 1 of the 3 badly as well. The market is crazy for our guys(teams are lining up for everyone just incase) however looks like the FO agreement is staying in place. Dont be surprised tho by next trade deadline(if new owner is approved) if we sell off even more
        FO agreement?

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
          FO agreement?
          Its BS according to this board but MLB,Jeff and the new owner groups have an agreement in place that they cant trade any of the big names/guys under contract past 2018. The new owner groups wanna make the decision on Yelich,Ozuna,Stanton,Straily,JT and prefer to keep Bour,Urena,Wittgren,Rojas for now. Everyone else could be gone tho

I said it last month when Ozuna was pulled on the block and people said they couldnt do that. Was reported this past week so people might believe but no clue?
          Last edited by tjfla; 07-16-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• I would hope MLB wouldn't allow franchise changing decisions to be made by people on their way out the door. Hopefully there is a buyer chosen before the deadline so the new owner can have say in whatever goes on.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
              I would hope MLB wouldn't allow franchise changing decisions to be made by people on their way out the door. Hopefully there is a buyer chosen before the deadline so the new owner can have say in whatever goes on.
              Well thats why they have an "agreement". New owners dont want Jeff making decisions and even if when a new owner is chosen it will be months before he is actually in control. They had hoped to have something done already so they could trade guys like Ozuna/Bour but this way works out alot better. They could still trade guys like Bour but highly doubtful unless the deal is so nuts they have too

They dont mind him making decision on guys who will be gone next year or are FA next year(since still a possiblity he will own the team next year and have to pay those guys) but not on guys like Ozuna,Bour,Straily,JT,Urena,Wittgren,Rojas who are all still "cheap".
              Last edited by tjfla; 07-16-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• I dont understand trading Stanton as a salary dump. You would think he is making 40+ million a year and not playing the way he is talked about. He is definitely overpaid, but as long as he is playing he is a star/borderline MVP type player. Dont dump that for salary reasons. IF you want to give him up in a rebuild for good prospects, fine, but for salary reasons only I am not a fan of that in the slightest, especially given Yelich is on a completely opposite contract that is incredibly team friendly. Their combined production for their combined salary is a good deal, especially when Yelich inevitably finishes this year on a roll and ends up with his normal numbers.

I'd understand Bour and Ozuna if you try to sell high given that they have 2+ years of team control, but not just dumping Stanton for salary reasons as long as he is on the field.

Comment

• Agreed on all of that. Dumping Stanton would be the 2nd worst move the Marlins have ever made based on the totality of the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    I dont understand trading Stanton as a salary dump. You would think he is making 40+ million a year and not playing the way he is talked about. He is definitely overpaid, but as long as he is playing he is a star/borderline MVP type player. Dont dump that for salary reasons. IF you want to give him up in a rebuild for good prospects, fine, but for salary reasons only I am not a fan of that in the slightest, especially given Yelich is on a completely opposite contract that is incredibly team friendly. Their combined production for their combined salary is a good deal, especially when Yelich inevitably finishes this year on a roll and ends up with his normal numbers.

I'd understand Bour and Ozuna if you try to sell high given that they have 2+ years of team control, but not just dumping Stanton for salary reasons as long as he is on the field.
                    The salary dump has to do with the length of the deal not the cash. U dont wanna rebuild for 5 years and have a 36 yr old slugger make 75 million in 3 years while the rest of the team is 23 and younger.

Now if we were an Atlanta or SD who are rebuilding now and in 2 years will be ready to go u would love to have Stanton around. His contract cash wise isnt bad at all especially if he keeps playing like he has this year

If he tells teams he is willing to opt out,his market gets even bigger and we could even get good prospects in return but if he doesnt agree to and will only approve trades to the West Coast its a straight salary dump

- - - - - - - - - -

People dont seem to realize the new way to rebuild is from the ground up. Baseball is like basketball,fans think u trade 4 or 5 guys and thats a rebuild-no owner wants to be stuck in the middle which is what happens alot with rebuilds like that(See Orlando Magic-rebuilding but instead of sucking they try to get NBA players and now are stuck in the middle)

The way to rebuild is get rid of everything and over the next 4/5 years suck. Just look at the Cubs and Houston 5 years ago/Atlanta and SD the past 2. They sucked badly for awhile and now are doing stuff. Atlanta should suck this year but NL East is so bad they can't. This is the way new owners do stuff now and supposedly what we will be doing

A new example is what the White Sox are doing-Quintana was still kinda young but they wanna build around Moncada and the younger arms who are 21/22 so they traded a guy who while is good will be 30/31 by time they are ready for 2 guys who will be 22/23. They have told teams everyone over 26 or so can be had for guys 22 and younger
                    Last edited by tjfla; 07-16-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• The Nats just traded for Doolittle and Madson from Oakland for Treinen and 2 of their top 10 prospects. That has to increase the value of our relievers and set the market.

Comment

• Ya they got a very nice return but i think those 2 arms both might be better than anyone we are trading.

Comment

Ya they got a very nice return but i think those 2 arms both might be better than anyone we are trading.
                          Not saying those were the exact names but heard they offered package like that to us(Luzardo was in it) for Ramos and Phelps. Frisaro said we were engaged in substative talks with them right before the trade

Should break them up when traded(can get more for guys ill take AJ/AJ Ellis to Colorado and Phelps to ?) but just shows the RP will be hot again especially ones who are under contract for next year. Treinen is 7 years younger than Madson and cheaper while Neuse is a solid 22 yr old 3B who will be in AA next year and Luzardo is very young SP who is off of TJ,looks great in GCL and should be moving up the prospect lists next year

Dont worry alot of teams are all over our RP-hearing Tazawa is actually picking up steam from a few teams with the way he has looked. Also on Phelps,a number of teams are considering him a SP. Just take that into consderation
                          Last edited by tjfla; 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Ya they got a very nice return but i think those 2 arms both might be better than anyone we are trading.
                            I don't necessarily think that's the case. Ramos and Phelps should have tremendous value to contending teams and both are controllable.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Not saying those were the exact names but heard they offered package like that to us(Luzardo was in it) for Ramos and Phelps. Frisaro said we were engaged in substative talks with them right before the trade

Should break them up when traded(can get more for guys ill take AJ/AJ Ellis to Colorado and Phelps to ?) but just shows the RP will be hot again especially ones who are under contract for next year. Treinen is 7 years younger than Madson and cheaper while Neuse is a solid 22 yr old 3B who will be in AA next year and Luzardo is very young SP who is off of TJ,looks great in GCL and should be moving up the prospect lists next year

Dont worry alot of teams are all over our RP-hearing Tazawa is actually picking up steam from a few teams with the way he has looked. Also on Phelps,a number of teams are considering him a SP. Just take that into consderation
                              That makes me wonder - with how bad the rotation has been, I'm surprised we haven't put Phelps in the rotation like we did last year.

Comment

• I think stantons contract won't look too bad in a year or two. After Harper signs his 40+ Million a year contract Stantons will be alright.
                                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Working...
                                X