No announcement yet.

2018 Spring Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brad Ziegler to close games. Why not? 5 ERA, 1.55 WHIP. Strikes out almost nobody. He's perfect!

Comment

Doesn't really matter who's closing when you aren't trying to win. The only reason Ziegler is closing is so that he can drive his value up before a trade.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        when you aren't trying to win.
        The Marlins are trying. I think they’re terrified of losing 100 games. Why else did they go out and pay Maybin to come play here?

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          The Marlins are trying. I think they’re terrified of losing 100 games. Why else did they go out and pay Maybin to come play here?
          Filler until the young guys are ready?

Comment

Right but if they didn’t care about winning they have plenty of guys who aren’t making $3 million + that can play the outfield.

Comment

Cool to see the team finally playing again. Peters looked good apparently. Eleiser Hernandez coming in.

Comment

Right but if they didn’t care about winning they have plenty of guys who aren’t making $3 million + that can play the outfield.
                Is it partially to appease the MLBPA with their salary complaints perhaps too?

Comment

they didnt have plenty of guys who could play the outfield like you said and 3 million is not a lot of money. I think there is a difference between caring about winning and at least trying to field a major league quality team.

Comment

I was at the game today. Super-impressed by Brinson. Guy has the look of a star. Smoked the ball in both ABs, made a spectacular play in CF. Wasn't super impressed by the pitching. Peters did ok. Bour hit one that would have been out most days. The wind was blowing pretty hard in from right. Isan Diaz had a rough game, two errors looked bad at the plate. Van Slyke probably guaranteed himself a spot on the team after 1 game.

Comment

Lee,Harrison,Sierra,Alcantara,Merandy playing today

Diaz is getting back in shape-he was hurt since August and didnt get much action during winter

They are good with salary. 3 million is what the veterans are all getting-reason they signed Maybin was another vet in OF to let the younger guys stay down. SVS already was on the team but yesterday probably sold them on not even bothering with other OF(As seen by our minor leagues it is hard to hit HR in Jupiter so pretty impressive). They still want another arm or 2

Comment

Sandy with 2 scoreless and I believe just 18 pitches with a K and no walks. Early, but that's encouraging. I really hope Jacob turner doesnt make the roster though.

I think i want to see our starting rotation to start the year be Urena, Straily, Conley, FA signing for 1 year/3-5 million, and Smith with Alcantara, Gallen, Richards, etc come up when we get an extra year if they are pitching well or whenever we trade Straily and/or any of the other guys.

Comment

Pretty stupid admittedly to look at results game by game especially in spring training and especially in the later innings earlier in spring training, but really positive signs today in several places. JT had a huge day and has started off the spring 3/4 and had a HR today, Alcantara with 2 scoreless efficient innings with no walks and a K, Merandy Gonzalez (a guy i think is one of the most underrated guys in our system) with a scoreless 9th with 2 k's, and Mags Sierra went 2-2 with 2 singles. Harrison went 0-2 as did Bour but still some positive signs early on with some of our young talent between Brinson, Alcantara, Peters, Sierra, and Merandy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, Van Slyke looking good is a great sign for those of us looking for further reasons aside from service time to keep Brinson down to start the year.

Comment

No underrating Merandy here. I have him at the top of my list with Peters, Richards and Meyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                              No underrating Merandy here. I have him at the top of my list with Peters, Richards and Meyer.
                              They need to figure out what they are gonna do with Merandy. I see him as AJ Lite(Set Up/Closer in Majors) myself but he looked great as a SP LY. Probably will keep him as a SP for now but would be nice to make a decision on it

- - - - - - - - - -

Sierra/Lee/Harrison/Brinson playing today. Gallen/Richards/Meyer/Lopez on the mound

Comment

You dont make a decision on Merandy, you let his play make the decision. If he continues to be successful starting you keep him there, if not you move him to the pen. pretty simply.

Comment

Working...
                                X