No announcement yet.

Dan LeBatard’s Feelings on the Sale of the Marlins and Giancarlo Stanton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im gonna listen to it back on the podcast later, and i love lebatard and have listened to him every day for like 10 years, but he seems to have an emotional blindspot in the marlins ownership thing. Out of all people to get emotionally supercharged about this issue im surprised its him, but listening to him since Jeter took over it's clear he's harboring hate towards the wrong areas and getting mad at Jeter and baseball for things that are now necessary due to Loria's complete incompetence.

Comment

[tweet]943551863563214850[/tweet]

- - - - - - - - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDT-a7fh5fc

Comment

That Lebatard interview wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it was gonna be based off reactions. Also, Manfred is in the right there. LEbatard is being ridiculously emotional based on previous ownership betrayals. It's really not fair that Jeter is being crucified for doing the smart baseball thing simply because of his predecessor's terrible management. It's not fair to blame him for building a team up right because the previous ownership groups didnt want to spend money.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          That Lebatard interview wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it was gonna be based off reactions. Also, Manfred is in the right there. LEbatard is being ridiculously emotional based on previous ownership betrayals. It's really not fair that Jeter is being crucified for doing the smart baseball thing simply because of his predecessor's terrible management. It's not fair to blame him for building a team up right because the previous ownership groups didnt want to spend money.
          It's fair to blame them for buying a team they couldn't really afford and slashing salary with no actual plan of when they can spend again. We've heard the target for the rumored payroll anywhere from $70M to $90M. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's $90M. That would put them at 27th in baseball with the 2017 figures. Most teams' payrolls will increase, so it's likely Miami will be even further down the list. They traded a superstar for peanuts just to clear his salary. Whether you think they should rebuild or not, those are legitimate reasons to be upset with this ownership group. And there's even more reason to be upset with baseball for allowing this to happen. These guys didn't have the money. Reportedly, they still don't have the money as they're still looking for investors. That's an absolute irresponsible move from Manfred, especially when you had another buyer who is a billionaire, and has ties to the community.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
            It's fair to blame them for buying a team they couldn't really afford and slashing salary with no actual plan of when they can spend again. We've heard the target for the rumored payroll anywhere from $70M to $90M. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's $90M. That would put them at 27th in baseball with the 2017 figures. Most teams' payrolls will increase, so it's likely Miami will be even further down the list. They traded a superstar for peanuts just to clear his salary. Whether you think they should rebuild or not, those are legitimate reasons to be upset with this ownership group. And there's even more reason to be upset with baseball for allowing this to happen. These guys didn't have the money. Reportedly, they still don't have the money as they're still looking for investors. That's an absolute irresponsible move from Manfred, especially when you had another buyer who is a billionaire, and has ties to the community.
            Ya its Manfred's fault that Jeff Loria would only accept an offer from one guy and turned down 2 betters offers that would have been much better for the community.(Manfred wanted Jorge Mas) Just like its Jeter's fault that Stanton would only accept an offer from one team and turned down 2 better offers the would have been much better for the Marlins(Jeter wanted the St Louis offer)

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Ya its Manfred's fault that Jeff Loria would only accept an offer from one guy and turned down 2 betters offers that would have been much better for the community.(Manfred wanted Jorge Mas) Just like its Jeter's fault that Stanton would only accept an offer from one team and turned down 2 better offers the would have been much better for the Marlins(Jeter wanted the St Louis offer)
              Rob Manfred in the commissioner of MLB. To pretend that he had no say in the matter is absurd. Loria had his preference, but are you really trying to tell me that if Manfred said no to this group that he would have just said fuck it and kept the team? Give me a break.

Comment

[tweet]943567917752270849[/tweet]

Comment

I've seen a $60 million payroll floated around, and this is saying $85-90 million. Which is it? Current payroll is probably $89+ right now (assuming they get $7 million from Volquez insurance policy). That includes Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Chen, and Volquez.

Also, I just want to note 50% of payroll is Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Chen, and Volquez.

50% of payroll is Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Chen, and Volquez.

50%

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    I've seen a $60 million payroll floated around, and this is saying $85-90 million. Which is it? Current payroll is probably $89+ right now (assuming they get $7 million from Volquez insurance policy). That includes Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Chen, and Volquez.

Also, I just want to note 50% of payroll is Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Chen, and Volquez.

50%
                    All deals signed within the last 2 years. so ridiculous.

Comment

I just want to hear someone address how they plan on using all this money they're saving. We're going to invest that money in the draft and IFA, we're going to lock up our young talent that's still left on the roster. (I guess Realmuto is about it at this point) Jeter throws out how important saving $265 million dollars is, but that doesn't mean jack shit to fans, especially when we know it'll most likely go to paying off this debt they keep going on about, or just lining the owners' pockets. Explain why Mike Hill is still here if the previous regime did such a horrible job. (and they did) Give us some reason to believe that things are different now.

Comment

Im gonna listen to it back on the podcast later, and i love lebatard and have listened to him every day for like 10 years, but he seems to have an emotional blindspot in the marlins ownership thing. Out of all people to get emotionally supercharged about this issue im surprised its him, but listening to him since Jeter took over it's clear he's harboring hate towards the wrong areas and getting mad at Jeter and baseball for things that are now necessary due to Loria's complete incompetence.

This is shocking that you would side with Jeter/Sherman/MLB

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          This is shocking that you would side with Jeter/Sherman/MLB
                          Much better for me to blame jeter for trying to clean this mess up and to blame him for firesales that happened 10-20 years ago and loria mismanagement for the past decade

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post

50%
                            Not to mention, Volquez, Ziegler, and Tazawa (29M) come off the books after the 2018 season, and another 15 for prado after 2019.

Much better for me to blame jeter for trying to clean this mess up and to blame him for firesales that happened 10-20 years ago and loria mismanagement for the past decade
                            But he's "cleaning it up" the same exact way as Loria.......cut payroll, ship away all the high-paid players, get nothing (light packages) in return just to clear payroll.

I get finances are terrible, and that that needs to be rectified for the organization to be healthy long-term. But they shipped out players just to clear payroll, not to put the club in a better position to win. Had they included more money in order to get back top top prospects and/or held their ground to get top prospects instead of caving (as always) in all of the deals thus far, we wouldn't be complaining (or at least it'd be different complaining).......why that's hard to understand, I don't know.
                            Last edited by rmc523; 12-21-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Yes, people would be complaining

trade Stanton + money for better prospects and:

”Well if we’re going to pay him why couldn’t we just keep him???”
                              ”Maybin and Miller were top prospects too!!!”
                              etc
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                Yes, people would be complaining

trade Stanton + money for better prospects and:

”Well if we’re going to pay him why couldn’t we just keep him???”
                                ”Maybin and Miller were top prospects too!!!”
                                etc
                                Yes, I agree. But it would look better than it does now, on paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X