Dan LeBatard’s Feelings on the Sale of the Marlins and Giancarlo Stanton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    First, no one is taking tazawa or Prado and no one is taking Ziegler without us eating probably half his contract. Second, you’re still just cutting 3 players on a team that won 77 games and still has no farm system. And that’s being hailed as preferable today?

- - - - - - - - - -

Some of you are really content with clear mediocrity
    Those were examples of players that make more than they're worth that can be moved somehow. You won't get much, but you can move them. They're not completely useless. Obviously more moves would need to be made, though.

You clearly don't understand anything any of us are saying, as I and others have repeated it over and over, nor do you get LeBatard's frustration. These moves affect more than the team's bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      Those were examples of players that make more than they're worth that can be moved somehow. You won't get much, but you can move them. They're not completely useless. Obviously more moves would need to be made, though.

You clearly don't understand anything any of us are saying, as I and others have repeated it over and over, nor do you get LeBatard's frustration. These moves affect more than the team's bottom line.
      The problem is not getting things for them, it's that you are just prolonging the inevitable by doing that. A 130 million payroll means the same terrible rotation and no farm system from a 77 win team that hasnt been over .500 since 2009.

Comment

Mas might have done that, but him now after the fact saying he would have a $130 million payroll and kept stanton seems like pandering to an angry fan base.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, a $130 payroll still means a cut in payroll on a team that was bad to begin with.
        What people don't realize is his high payroll idea was trade Stanton and others and then in 2019 sign Machado. So it kinda is true however he was not going to keep Stanton,Mas grand plan was and still is to get a Franchise Latin player. Mas wanted the payroll 90-100 million than sign Machado to a massive deal

The GM thing is very true and Mas actually already had his FO pretty much set

Comment

The problem is not getting things for them, it's that you are just prolonging the inevitable by doing that. A 130 million payroll means the same terrible rotation and no farm system from a 77 win team that hasnt been over .500 since 2009.
          The farm system really isn't all that improved after all of these moves. They still are in the bottom 3rd of the league. And honestly, I think they should have traded Ozuna anyway. It was the right time on him. You just weren't going to be able to afford him when he hits FA. But they would have done it with a better GM, and ideally gotten a much better haul. But even if they got the exact same haul, they'd be in the same boat from a farm system standpoint save for a couple of mid-level prospects that might actually be worth a damn.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
            The farm system really isn't all that improved after all of these moves. They still are in the bottom 3rd of the league. And honestly, I think they should have traded Ozuna anyway. It was the right time on him. You just weren't going to be able to afford him when he hits FA. But they would have done it with a better GM, and ideally gotten a much better haul. But even if they got the exact same haul, they'd be in the same boat from a farm system standpoint save for a couple of mid-level prospects that might actually be worth a damn.
            this farm system is still middle of the pack but it’s also tremendously improved from a pitching aspect compared to where we were before last years draft. In the first month of a rebuild with our 2-3 most valuable assets still on the market, we are doing just fine. Also quit acting like you have any idea about the prospects we acquired, you’re going off the mlb.com list. And I’m gonna trust denbo until he proves we shouldn’t trust him

Comment

this farm system is still middle of the pack but it’s also tremendously improved from a pitching aspect compared to where we were before last years draft. In the first month of a rebuild with our 2-3 most valuable assets still on the market, we are doing just fine. Also quit acting like you have any idea about the prospects we acquired, you’re going off the mlb.com list. And I’m gonna trust denbo until he proves we shouldn’t trust him
              I still find it funny how you continue to adjust your opinions based off of what Miami is able to accomplish. At the time of the Ozuna trade, you said it was underwhelming. Now, they're doing just fine. I love your optimism, but it's hard for me to share it with Mike Hill's history, and the way this ownership group is operating.

I'm going off of all of the rankings, and the scouting reports. Those reports say these two top pitchers have upside, but could also end up being relievers in the majors. So, no, I'm not going to start getting excited about them until they prove it. I won't pretend to be a prospect expert, but based off of the information we have, the system still isn't very good, and these pitchers still are not high end prospects. I hope they do end up being good players, but as we stand today, they are what they are, which are B prospects with upside.

Comment

This system still sucks. We got some nice arms but nothing that moved us up. This is the reason why the FO is still looking at trying to move Yelich and many believe they will. They need alot more in trades,draft and IFA to bring this to the middle of the pack

They are still considering moving JT but only if they get a young C somehow otherwise he is staying here.

Looking to package Starlin Castro with Straily/Ziegler but some talk is they might even keep him around and see if any team loses a MIF before the deadline

As for the Ozuna trade,they did solid. The thing that hurt us was he is a FA in 2 years and Boras has told teams he wants 7/250 and wont sign an extension. They got 3 likely ML players who will be ready in 2020 for a guy who wouldn't even be here
                Last edited by tjfla; 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I still find it funny how you continue to adjust your opinions based off of what Miami is able to accomplish. At the time of the Ozuna trade, you said it was underwhelming. Now, they're doing just fine. I love your optimism, but it's hard for me to share it with Mike Hill's history, and the way this ownership group is operating.

I'm going off of all of the rankings, and the scouting reports. Those reports say these two top pitchers have upside, but could also end up being relievers in the majors. So, no, I'm not going to start getting excited about them until they prove it. I won't pretend to be a prospect expert, but based off of the information we have, the system still isn't very good, and these pitchers still are not high end prospects. I hope they do end up being good players, but as we stand today, they are what they are, which are B prospects with upside.
                  I didnt say it was underwhelming, all i said was that I didnt want Alcantara as the lead prospect just because of his riskiness, but as far as the deal as a whole i think we did well. We likely got 2 long term rotation pieces with 6 years of team control and a really solid looking CFer who also has 6 years of team control. I think we will look back on the deal very positively in a year or 2.

Comment

Yelich needs to go for a blue chip prospect or two.

Otherwise this isn’t a fucking rebuild.

Comment

I didnt say it was underwhelming, all i said was that I didnt want Alcantara as the lead prospect just because of his riskiness, but as far as the deal as a whole i think we did well. We likely got 2 long term rotation pieces with 6 years of team control and a really solid looking CFer who also has 6 years of team control. I think we will look back on the deal very positively in a year or 2.
                      You didn't?

And now we sit back and pray that Alcantara isnt the best prospect we get in the deal.
                      Weaver also a guy who would be perfect to be the centerpiece of the return but he isnt talked about as much. Alcantara better not be the guy though.
                      god i hope that's not the top guy.
                      Better not be the top guy they wanted all along. Clark spencer says a scout says he is a year away and projects as a number 2 starter.
                      i agree that its dissappointing with him as the centerpiece, but it all depends on the remainder of the deal.
                      If they were given the choice between Alcantara and Flaherty and took Alcantara though that is pretty horrific.
                      Now we can start to criticize lol.
                      ya, sierra is one of my least favorite of their OF's. leadoff type hitter. supposedly dynamic type fielder, but still, the first two guys are definitely underwhelming.
                      I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you certainly didn't think we did well at the time, nor should you have. Could we look back at this deal positively in a couple of years? Absolutely. But we could also look back at it and see a ML reliever, a 4th OF, and another back of the rotation starter. And currently, it just doesn't look like any kind of a great return considering the player they traded, and the supposed interest in him around the league.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        Ya its Manfred's fault that Jeff Loria would only accept an offer from one guy and turned down 2 betters offers that would have been much better for the community.(Manfred wanted Jorge Mas) Just like its Jeter's fault that Stanton would only accept an offer from one team and turned down 2 better offers the would have been much better for the Marlins(Jeter wanted the St Louis offer)
                        I have a hard time believing Loria turned down more money just to sell to Jeter....as cheap as he was it's very hard for me to accept that.....so Loria turned down, what $50 million, $75 million, $100 million.....come on now, you really expect anyone to believe that crap

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                          I have a hard time believing Loria turned down more money just to sell to Jeter....as cheap as he was it's very hard for me to accept that.....so Loria turned down, what $50 million, $75 million, $100 million.....come on now, you really expect anyone to believe that crap
                          There were multiple reports saying that Mas wouldn’t match the 1.2B figure (I want to say he was willing to go to 900M?)

Comment

Much better for me to blame jeter for trying to clean this mess up and to blame him for firesales that happened 10-20 years ago and loria mismanagement for the past decade
                            Absolutely his fault Mike Hill is still with the team....and that is one of the biggest parts of the last ownerships problems

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            There were multiple reports saying that Mas wouldn’t match the 1.2B figure (I want to say he was willing to go to 900M?)
                            exactly.....people are gonna believe what fits their agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                              Absolutely his fault Mike Hill is still with the team....and that is one of the biggest parts of the last ownerships problems

- - - - - - - - - -

exactly.....people are gonna believe what fits their agenda.
                              Though I supported a cleaning house of the front office, I could've understood retaining a guy like Hill as someone who knew the system......but he should've been shifted out of his role as GM (or whatever his title is), with someone else put in charge, and him become some sort of adviser or something with no real power.

Comment

MLB has to approve the sale. Approving the sale to a team that can't actually afford buying them is reckless, and other owners would understand that. This group had to borrow $400M just to make the purchase and is still looking for investors. That's pathetic. They can't force Loria to sell to someone else for less (well, they could, but they wouldn't), but they could have (wisely) nixed this deal to this group. Then they could have negotiated a fair deal with Mas.

FWIW, Barry Jackson is reporting this today:
                                Do you think any of the groups was going to pay for this team in cash? Mas would have had to borrow money as well. This is well under some of the more questionable deals MLB approved in the past.

Did you really think Mas would say anything otherwise? It's easy to say that when your own money isn't on the line.

What would have keeping payroll at $130 million gotten us? Another sub .500 season?

Comment

Working...
                                X