Marlins Trade Giancarlo Stanton to Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
    But they also have made it clear they need to make money from people attending games. How much more likely are people to come to games next year ? Are they going to raise or lower ticket prices ? Without any star figure on the team, even those few that attended to see Stanton now have ZERO incentive to go see the Marlins. And if they "plan to suck" until the (pipe dream) of 2020, they better be ready to absorb a lot more losses because they will struggle to sell suites and season tix and packages and single game seats. When the Marlins play the Brewers or Padres next year you might have just a few dozen fans in the stands....and that is no joke. Again if they need to raise revenue for their 2020 (pipe) dream team, how are they going to raise that money ? Luxury tax money alone ?
    Stadium naming rights,tv deal,luxury tax is the idea. 100 million by 2020

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
    But that 2020 is all predicated on being PERFECT in their drafting...because they don't seem to be casting their net on any good prospects so far in these trades. It takes more than 3 years to build. It took the Astros about 5 and the same with the Cubs. I wonder how long Jeter/Sherman will be here. I think they try to flip the Marlins in 2019 or 2020 if the plan isn't working out.
    Not really about drafting but would be nice to get 1 or 2 bats. If payroll is 60-75 million with rotation of Neidert,Guzman,Flaherty,Alcantara,Garrett u then have 40-25 million to spend in FA

Comment

But that 2020 is all predicated on being PERFECT in their drafting...because they don't seem to be casting their net on any good prospects so far in these trades. It takes more than 3 years to build. It took the Astros about 5 and the same with the Cubs. I wonder how long Jeter/Sherman will be here. I think they try to flip the Marlins in 2019 or 2020 if the plan isn't working out.
      dude, again, the only guys we've traded so far are 2 relievers, an overpaid 2b with not significant trade value, and Stanton who had a NTC and a 300 million contract. The guys who we will get the most value on are going next.

And i think 2020 is a little optimistic. The way i see it is stink the next 2 years, 2020 improvements and being around .500 with impacts from prospects who are just reachign the majors, and then 2021 a contender.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        dude, again, the only guys we've traded so far are 2 relievers, an overpaid 2b with not significant trade value, and Stanton who had a NTC and a 300 million contract. The guys who we will get the most value on are going next.

And i think 2020 is a little optimistic. The way i see it is stink the next 2 years, 2020 improvements and being around .500 with impacts from prospects who are just reachign the majors, and then 2021 a contender.
        Ya they don't expect to be a playoff team in 2020. 2020 is when they expect all the younger guys to be ready to go. Its like Milwaukee this past year-all the younger guys were ready to go and the payroll was 70 million. They didn't expect to compete but did and now have 25 million to spend on improvements

2020 is the goal to have guys at 23/24 yrs old ready for MLB,sign FA/have vets who are 27/28
        Last edited by tjfla; 12-10-2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Ya they don't expect to be a playoff team in 2020. 2020 is when they expect all the younger guys to be ready to go. Its like Milwaukee this past year-all the younger guys were ready to go and the payroll was 70 million. They didn't expect to compete but did and now have 25 million to spend on improvements
          i just want to see them throw as many SP options with 6 years of team control as possible into the farm system and let them figure it out in a few years after some development. It opens up so much in the way of building the rest of the team when you have a cost controlled rotation and already have guys in Realmuto and Yelich who are cheap in the lineup.

The braves have done a similar thing and this year and next year youll see them make a splash in free agency for a bat I think because they have like 6 different top 100 SP prospects all under control for the foreseeable future.

Comment

they arent doing this for their own profit, they are doing it for the long term health of the franchise. Facts are facts, and this team was nowhere near contention and had a sky high payroll and were losing millions of dollars per year. it's unpopular and it will suck for 2 years, but it's the best way to build up a roster from scratch. Cubs and astros each were the worst team in the league for a few years, but they built it up the right way, then made smart free agent decisions along the way, and now have a consistent winner for 10+ years. I dont know about you, but i was sure as hell tired of this organization not having a consistent vision and making stupid trades to try to put mediocre teams over the top.

These might be "salary" trades, but they are also smart baseball trades from the standpoint of trying to build from scratch and produce a consistent winner.
            I don't know where you get this 2 years of suckiness crap from. The Cubs sucked for 3 years and they ARE THE CUBS with plenty of money to have the best scouts and can hire Theo Epstein.

WE STILL HAVE MIKE HILL ! and apparently no money

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            the only time the casual supporter of this team has literally ever attended games consistently is when this team wins. they could have had 9 stantons in the lineup, if they were still under .500 every year we wouldnt have gotten any fans regardless. That is why they just need to focus on doing the rebuild right and gradually progressing to a contender and the fans will come. We'll probably have to suffer through a year or 2 of terrible attendance, but we werent exactly packing the place every night with all of these guys.
            So you are saying no matter what no one is showing up ? Then why try to win at all...why pay $1.2 billion for a team ? Dude you clearly don't think throughly through what you are posting.....

- - - - - - - - - -

i was actually at that game. and it was game 4 against the giants, not game 5. we were up 2-1, that wasnt an elimination game. and i dont think any of those guys were doing anything to help attendance. nor was conine a draw on tv to improve our tv ratings. and they were among many of our front office people who helped make decisions and gave advice to compose a roster that hasnt been over .500 since 2009. and we also were paying executives who werent actually doing much way too much money.
            You are just ging to defend them no matter what.

This team is as poorly run today as it has been since 1998.....and your 2020 date is laughable. In 2020 the team will still be a 60-65 win team. Mark my words. LOL

- - - - - - - - - -

First, Stanton isnt our biggest asset. Best player does not equal biggest asset in baseball terms. And the farm system is drastically better now than it was before the Phelps and Ramos trades in July, and we still havent traded the guys who will give us the biggest returns in guys like Straily and Ozuna and maybe Realmuto and Yelich.

Obviously our system sucked before july anyway, but since the draft this past year to now we have added 11 different guys to our top 30 list according to Mlb.com, and that doesnt include Guzman or Devers.
            LOL our top 30 is still bottom feeders.....you think anyone from that list is going to actually be an impactful MLB player ? I doubt it.

- - - - - - - - - -

getting their finances straight and no longer hemorrhaging money is a good first start.
            They should never have bought the team if they were this cash poor. You have to maintain some level of dignity.....but this organization doesn't seem to have any no matter who the owner is.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Stadium naming rights,tv deal,luxury tax is the idea. 100 million by 2020

- - - - - - - - - -

Not really about drafting but would be nice to get 1 or 2 bats. If payroll is 60-75 million with rotation of Neidert,Guzman,Flaherty,Alcantara,Garrett u then have 40-25 million to spend in FA
            Naming rights is something I never understood.....why Loria didn't do this, but I don't thing naming rights will bring in very much money (he probably didn't like the numbers he was getting). Low visibility (1 game on Sunday night baseball in 10 years and only a few games on Fox) and low local TV ratings, and many casual out of town fans don't even bother to turn on games when their team is playing the marlins (by the way, even with Stanton, the Marlins were the worst road draw in MLB now it'll be worse).

Comment

I don't know where you get this 2 years of suckiness crap from. The Cubs sucked for 3 years and they ARE THE CUBS with plenty of money to have the best scouts and can hire Theo Epstein.

WE STILL HAVE MIKE HILL ! and apparently no money

- - - - - - - - - -

So you are saying no matter what no one is showing up ? Then why try to win at all...why pay $1.2 billion for a team ? Dude you clearly don't think throughly through what you are posting.....

- - - - - - - - - -

You are just ging to defend them no matter what.

This team is as poorly run today as it has been since 1998.....and your 2020 date is laughable. In 2020 the team will still be a 60-65 win team. Mark my words. LOL

- - - - - - - - - -

LOL our top 30 is still bottom feeders.....you think anyone from that list is going to actually be an impactful MLB player ? I doubt it.
              Ive explicitly said i dont think we will be good in 3 years. I was saying that the next 2 are going to be especially bad, with the 3rd year showing signs of talent developing, and then the 4th year or so with exponential improvement. And the Cubs may have theo epstein, but they also had significantly less talent to start the rebuild off with. They built almost exclusively from the draft and got lucky taking fliers on a few pitchers in minor trades because they had no talent to start.

And ya, mike hill sucks, but i believe Denbo knows what he's doing and i dont think mike hill will be here long term with this ownership group.

No, i wasnt saying that people only show up in this town when the team wins. Nothing else gets fans out for the marlins. We've had stanton for like 7 years and no one was ever at any games. Im saying that the team needs to focus on rebuilding and sticking to the process and then when they start to win fans will show up. Go look at Houston's attendance by year. Same thing with their fans.

And yes, several people from our top 30 list will be impactful MLB players. Even the worst farm system generally has that, and when Ozuna goes to the cardinals we're gonna have several more potential impactful players. They just need to keep churning through players and acquiring as much talent as possible over the next few years and then see who pans out.

And im not just going to defend them no matter what. Im just not gonna throw fake outrage out there when they get rid of guys who are being paid too much to do nothing and arent all that impactful in my life get fired. If you are really that upset by jeff fucking conine and Tony Perez and Andre Dawson being let go you need more excitement in your life.

Comment

Pipe dream....2022 to be even close to .500 and then unless we have some emerging stars ....2024 possible to have a 2 year window and then back to a firesale, because of....no money.

Comment

Pipe dream....2022 to be even close to .500 and then unless we have some emerging stars ....2024 possible to have a 2 year window and then back to a firesale, because of....no money.
                  youre entitled to your opinion.

Comment

• Andrew Baggarly‏Verified account @extrabaggs ยท 16h16 hours ago

Brian Sabean said his only “angst” about Stanton talks is that SF/STL were clearly fallback options and Giants did not feel his agent made that clear from the get-go.

For everyone who thinks it was the Marlins knew about Stanton. Here is Brian Sabean also saying it was his AGENT. They did the same thing to Jeter-his agent/people gave us a list of 6 teams(St Louis/SF were on it) but then we got deals with them his people then said well those were his "preferred teams" but not who is on his "approved teams". SF was under the impression they were on it(which is why they had the meeting) then were told they weren't

Comment

• https://twitter.com/basebailking/sta...55642027663361

Comment

Working...
                      X