Marlins Trade Giancarlo Stanton to Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
    How do you know that this front office is going to do it the right way? To this point I have seen no indications that they will either. Stanton did need to be traded but like Jim Callis said on twitter the team shouldn't have gone out and advertised that he had to go. That killed any power the Marlins had every team knew they were going to do whatever they had to in order to rid the team of his salary. I am not looking forward to this team being so bad that its not worth even seeing if they won or lost. Most likely this team is going to be really bad for a minimum of 3-4 years and that is if they hit on prospects in trades. Why didn't they try to get some international spending money from the Yankees in the deal? With them missing out on Shohei they had an abundance. They just dumped 35 million in salary why not try and get a little something extra to improve the team and do something to show the fans that things will be different. So far Jeter has not given the fans any reason to be optimistic or that there is anything to look forward to.
    no one knows, im just willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in the beginning here, especially just 2 months and like 2 or 3 trades into their ownership. Im also encouraged by the fact that they seem to understand the need for a full rebuild, which is so much better than loria ignoring the farm system and foolishly trying to go for it every year.

- - - - - - - - - -

i do think it is a valid point that it would have been nice to see them spend a little more money to get a couple better prospects, but we also did just clear like 300 million in contracts in like 3 days.

Comment

• Yeah they cleared the money but how exactly does that help the team? They aren't going to use or spend that money they have already said they plan on keeping the payroll as low as the can for the next few years. The next few trades will show what they are about. If they trade the next few guys and try to get the best prospects they can for them that will show a little glimmer of hope. However I fully expect them to try and add in one of Ziegler, Tazawa, Volquez or Prado and take less back.

Comment

Yeah they cleared the money but how exactly does that help the team? They aren't going to use or spend that money they have already said they plan on keeping the payroll as low as the can for the next few years. The next few trades will show what they are about. If they trade the next few guys and try to get the best prospects they can for them that will show a little glimmer of hope. However I fully expect them to try and add in one of Ziegler, Tazawa, Volquez or Prado and take less back.
        well i think the dee return was actually solid and stanton still netted us a few prospects, and then we're gonna get a really big haul for Ozuna and others. And again, the more important part in all of this is whether or not we invest in IFA and the draft. if they dont do that then i will agree they are as terrible as loria. But i think they understand the need to do that and how it saves them money on the back end because you dont need to do what Loria ended up having to do in signing average to below average free agents for way too much money.

Comment

• The Gordon trade was eh you have to figure in at least one of those prospects was for the IFA money. I hope you are right about the big hauls but if their main concern is dumping those salaries when all but Prado comes off the books after the season that will be really dumb. They need to maximize their return for the next few guys with Stanton and Dee off the books it should no longer be more about the money.

Comment

The Gordon trade was eh you have to figure in at least one of those prospects was for the IFA money. I hope you are right about the big hauls but if their main concern is dumping those salaries when all but Prado comes off the books after the season that will be really dumb. They need to maximize their return for the next few guys with Stanton and Dee off the books it should no longer be more about the money.
            Completely agree. I think they NEED to just take the hit on Ziegler, Volquez, and Tazawa for the year. They all expire after this year. Prado and (if anyone wants to get anywhere near Chen) should be the only remaining salary dump guys. I doubt they'll do that, but that's what they should do. Luckily from a fan's perspective i dont think anyone even touches Volquez or Tazawa.

Comment

• Unfortunately I think someone would take them if they attached them to Ozuna, Bour, Yelich or Realmuto if the Marlins say they will take less back prospect wise or if they throw in the comp pick. I really hope they don't but I could see it happening.

Comment

• Our pitching if we can get Flaherty + Hudson/Alcantara and another prospect for Ozuna does not look terrible at all: flaherty, + hudson/alcantara, Guzman, Straily, Urena, Conley, Merandy Gonzalez, Neidert, Richards, Lopez and Miller the 2 mariners guys we got for Phelps, Braxton Garrett and Rogers a few years away, Peters, maybe Kolek can ever get it together. Honestly, they've done some pretty good work since July to add some pitching to the system.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  In fact, looking after the cubs transactions from the start of their rebuild on, they traded almost no one with long term deals like Dee and Stanton. They did a shit ton of roster churning and minor deals and had awesome scouting that netted them Arrieta and Hendricks for almost nothing, but besides that and the trade for Addison russell where they gave up 2 soon to be free agent pitchers in Hammel and Samardjia, they did their work almost exclusively through the draft.

We better be doing major investing in IFa and the draft, and if we dont do so then we can start having valid criticisms.

- - - - - - - - - -

Same with the Astros. Almost everyone in their core was drafted by them. If anything we have a head start on them as far as assets to procure talent via trade. We really need to draft well and spend in IFA though for any of this to be worth it.
                  Yeah we're doing major IFA spending by the first trade they make to trade away IFA money...

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  Completely agree. I think they NEED to just take the hit on Ziegler, Volquez, and Tazawa for the year. They all expire after this year. Prado and (if anyone wants to get anywhere near Chen) should be the only remaining salary dump guys. I doubt they'll do that, but that's what they should do. Luckily from a fan's perspective i dont think anyone even touches Volquez or Tazawa.
                  A guy like Chen I wouldn't have a problem dumping for not much because at this point it looks like just dead money unless he miraculously is healthy this year which won't happen. That's a case where he has no value vs other players that do have value.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    Yeah we're doing major IFA spending by the first trade they make to trade away IFA money...

A guy like Chen I wouldn't have a problem dumping for not much because at this point it looks like just dead money unless he miraculously is healthy this year which won't happen. That's a case where he has no value vs other players that do have value.
                    I obviously agree about Chen, but no one is taking that contract. The IFA is for this year (which we havent spent and no one is left). Again, im just gonna reserve judgment until next year's draft and IFA period. If they dont start spending it to help with the farm system, then they deserve to be ripped to shreds.

Comment

Unfortunately I think someone would take them if they attached them to Ozuna, Bour, Yelich or Realmuto if the Marlins say they will take less back prospect wise or if they throw in the comp pick. I really hope they don't but I could see it happening.
                      Payroll is basically $100 million right now when you take into account they get a few bucks back from Volquez on insurance. If the goal is $60, I think the time is over for dumps with the rest of the guys with value.

Ozuna is $12
                      Starlin rounded up to $11, both are cleared out with no money sent out

$77

Ziegler, Tazawa, and Prado is somehow $30 million, let's say the eat half to get rid of them for relative non-prospects. Half is fair right?

$62

Straily is around $5
                      Bour is around $4, I think they don't have to eat anything on these guys and no point keeping them.

$53 payroll

Sign a few 1 year veterans to fill out the roster and you're fielding a $60 million team.

I don't see further dumps here. Do your best on Zieg, Tazawa, and Prado, and max out BPA (hopefully pitching) for Ozuna, Starlin, Straily, Bour, and I would add Barraclough and Urena for sure as they will never be more valuable than now, and Realmuto if he refuses a 5+ year extension.

In 2018, you have Chen, Yelich, Wittgren, and (maybe) Realmuto as only contracts/arbitration eligible (assuming you ditch Dietrich, Rojas, Barraclough, Conley, and Urena before next year), and add in 15 cost controlled players and your payroll is around $45 million. Chen is $20 of that.

2019, it goes down as Chen's $20 million is off the books and the only arbitration additions are relievers, if anyone.

Just saying for the sake of debate, if what we know is they want $60, they just got rid of the one piece they needed to to realistically get to that number with what they have left.

If they attach a reliever/Prado to any of those 4 "valuable" guys above, seriously fuck them. Money isn't even debateably a reason.

Comment

• I think they will dump Ziegler with Ozuna to Stlouis. They apparently were interested in Ziegler anyways.
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                          I think they will dump Ziegler with Ozuna to Stlouis. They apparently were interested in Ziegler anyways.
                          Sure, just don't let it impact the return for Ozuna. That's what I meant.

Comment

• Boys, you just KNOW they’re going to sacrifice return to save money with one of our remaining “value” guys and then.....

By the end of the Winter Meetings there will be one Marlins fan left on the planet.

#fish20

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              Boys, you just KNOW they’re going to sacrifice return to save money with one of our remaining “value” guys and then.....

By the end of the Winter Meetings there will be one Marlins fan left on the planet.

#fish20
                              Are we yankee fans Daft?
                              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                lol, im not pumped about trading him. Stanton is likely the best player this franchise has ever had. Im just excited we finally have a front office group doing the hard thing and deciding to do a full on rebuild and do it the right way. im so fucking sick of a middling franchise with no shot of ever contending but then foolishly convincing themselves that they do have a shot and then trading pieces of the future to inevitably fall short. I'm a guy who loves the team building aspect of baseball and building a well constructed team that is sustainable, and the marlins have been the complete opposite for so long now. It sucks to see stanton have to be traded, but it doesnt make it any less of the right move to make.
                                469859612.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X