No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Giancarlo Stanton to Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m interested to see how this goes from Stanton’s side. He’s never played with this type of pressure. If he gets off to a slow start like has been known to do, they’ll be all over him there and in the national media.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
      I’m interested to see how this goes from Stanton’s side. He’s never played with this type of pressure. If he gets off to a slow start like has been known to do, they’ll be all over him there and in the national media.
      Not to mention Stanton is a streaky player and, through the entirety of his career, does not perform well in April. Plus Stanton is definitely an emotional player.

If he gets going though Stanton will thrive on the New York media pampering him with complements. Plus the transition from Marlins Park to Yankee Stadium should be huge for his home run numbers.

Comment

• Just getting to see this, can't believe there isn't another notable pitcher involved. What a mess.

It would be a good time for PR to extend Realmuto for 5 years like Salvador Perez ($5/52.5). Kind of speaks to "we have a plan" extending someone even if Ozuna, Castro, Straily, Bour, Barraclough, Prado, Ziegler, and Tazawa are all shipped out too. Who the fuck knows though.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          Just getting to see this, can't believe there isn't another notable pitcher involved. What a mess.

It would be a good time for PR to extend Realmuto for 5 years like Salvador Perez ($5/52.5). Kind of speaks to "we have a plan" extending someone even if Ozuna, Castro, Straily, Bour, Barraclough, Prado, Ziegler, and Tazawa are all shipped out too. Who the fuck knows though.
          I got a better plan! I say trade him for two tickets to Hamilton and a 28 year old minor league reliever. Rebuild!

- - - - - - - - - -

Back on a serious tone though the lack of a top tier starting pitcher is disturbing. The rotation is an absolute mess and isn't getting fixed anytime soon. Gonna have to keep trading players until they at least semi fix a completely broken starting staff.

- - - - - - - - - -

Given that JT is just 26 years old and is already a top 5 catcher in baseball he's the right kind of player to extend long term. You aren't going to find a comparable catcher anywhere else. He's also early enough in his career that you could get a contract like the one lou mentioned. It's the exact situation that we got Yelich locked down to such a team friendly deal.

Gotta imagine something like 50% of the team's salary next season is going to be tied to dead money.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
            I got a better plan! I say trade him for two tickets to Hamilton and a 28 year old minor league reliever. Rebuild!

- - - - - - - - - -

Back on a serious tone though the lack of a top tier starting pitcher is disturbing. The rotation is an absolute mess and isn't getting fixed anytime soon. Gonna have to keep trading players until they at least semi fix a completely broken starting staff.

- - - - - - - - - -

Given that JT is just 26 years old and is already a top 5 catcher in baseball he's the right kind of player to extend long term. You aren't going to find a comparable catcher anywhere else. He's also early enough in his career that you could get a contract like the one lou mentioned. It's the exact situation that we got Yelich locked down to such a team friendly deal.

Gotta imagine something like 50% of the team's salary next season is going to be tied to dead money.
            I think we get back the top of the rotation talent for Ozuna. Flaherty and Alcantara/Hudson would be awesome. And i'd offer JT a 6 year deal for 60-70 million and hope he takes it and if not deal him too.

Comment

• Awful return

- - - - - - - - - -

Inexplicable not getting Frazier as part of it all.

Comment

• https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/proj...stanton-trade/

- - - - - - - - - -

What made people think a team would take on 260+ million and give us a top prospect like Frazier when we had absolutely no leverage?

Comment

• Because Frazier's blocked pretty handily now, we're throwing in a contingent $30 million and getting no one of consequence, since if we're playing the leverage game, one of Castro or Headley had to go to make room for Torres anyway. The Yankees won literally every aspect of this trade. They dealt no one of consequence from their system, and they moved a guy in Castro who was the odd man out anyway.

So the Yankees traded the odd man out, a top-150-ish prospect and a take a flier guy for the reigning NL MVP who's (for all intents and purposes) on a three year deal, and $30 million if he opts in, that offsets your luxury tax number over the next ten years whether he opts in or doesn't. It's really pretty reasonable to say "hey, you know that other guy that's blocked but big league ready, we want him too."

Comment

• That “other guy who’s blocked but big league ready” still has significant value to the Yankees in another trade.

We were never getting a prospect the caliber of Frazier in any reported deal for a reason.

- - - - - - - - - -

Take out Heliot Ramos (who probably wasn’t involved anyway), and you’ll see that this deal is rather comparable to the Giants deal that some were content with.

The bottom line is we were losing this trade either way. You don’t trade Giancarlo Stanton and his salary and win a trade. Never happens, especially when said player has a no-trade clause.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                      Because Frazier's blocked pretty handily now, we're throwing in a contingent $30 million and getting no one of consequence, since if we're playing the leverage game, one of Castro or Headley had to go to make room for Torres anyway. The Yankees won literally every aspect of this trade. They dealt no one of consequence from their system, and they moved a guy in Castro who was the odd man out anyway.

So the Yankees traded the odd man out, a top-150-ish prospect and a take a flier guy for the reigning NL MVP who's (for all intents and purposes) on a three year deal, and $30 million if he opts in, that offsets your luxury tax number over the next ten years whether he opts in or doesn't. It's really pretty reasonable to say "hey, you know that other guy that's blocked but big league ready, we want him too."
                      you realize the yankees have like 6 months before the season starts to trade anyone who is "blocked." Didnt have to dump them to us just because. Ya, the yankees got a great deal. We also got significant stuff out of it too. Obviously youd like more, but our hands were tied given the contract and NTC status.

Comment

• Why even own a baseball team? You can maintain a payroll of 0 real dollars by playing OOTP 18.

In fact, the team should put out flyers asking players to pay the team to play for them next season! That way we're making money and we still have a team we can put on the field. It's genius

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why even own a baseball team? You can maintain a payroll of 0 real dollars by playing OOTP 18.

In fact, the team should put out flyers asking players to pay the team to play for them next season! That way we're making money and we still have a team we can put on the field. It's genius

they arent doing this for their own profit, they are doing it for the long term health of the franchise. Facts are facts, and this team was nowhere near contention and had a sky high payroll and were losing millions of dollars per year. it's unpopular and it will suck for 2 years, but it's the best way to build up a roster from scratch. Cubs and astros each were the worst team in the league for a few years, but they built it up the right way, then made smart free agent decisions along the way, and now have a consistent winner for 10+ years. I dont know about you, but i was sure as hell tired of this organization not having a consistent vision and making stupid trades to try to put mediocre teams over the top.

These might be "salary" trades, but they are also smart baseball trades from the standpoint of trying to build from scratch and produce a consistent winner.

Comment

• Cubs and Astros also drafted and traded for top prospects (not to mention international signings). During their rebuilds those teams acquired the top farm systems in baseball a few years prior to their world series wins. Those teams didn't have a reigning NL MVP to use as ammunition.

We left this without a top 100 prospect. I don't care how you rationalize it that is pathetic.

Comment

• Nobody has a problem with a rebuild. The teams window was 2015-2017 and they failed it was time to restart given how bad the free agent signings and drafting have been.

The problem is trades to relieve salary not to rebuild the farm. You rebuild by turning top expensive players into young, cheap, high potential players. I don't know how u look at these rookie ball guys barely in the teams top 10 prospect list and starlin Castro who is worth about as much if not less than Dee was for us and say we got value enough.

You rebuild with value. This is just dumping money. It's a 2006 move when payroll went to $22 million or so. A professional baseball team in 2018 shouldn't be operating on a $60 million payroll.

Comment

Cubs and Astros also drafted and traded for top prospects (not to mention international signings). During their rebuilds those teams acquired the top farm systems in baseball a few years prior to their world series wins. Those teams didn't have a reigning NL MVP to use as ammunition.

We left this without a top 100 prospect. I don't care how you rationalize it that is pathetic.

Prospect lists are overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X