Jeter Asked Samson to Fire Conine, Jack, Dawson, and Perez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
    It's a big deal to some one like myself that has been a fan since day one. Tonly Perez not so much, but the Hawk, and especially Conine, Mr Marlin, well it hurts. He is the one link to the Marlins one part of baseball glory, and losing him really stings. Perhaps Jeter isn't aware of Conine's historical significance.....but I doubt that, so that means he did it & he doesn't care. Heartless move....very cold, and not getting me to "love" him. And the way he did it.....really douchebag move. And I'm no Samson fan to say the least, but that just sounds like something Loria would do.....just to twist the knife in a little bit more. Then again we have no idea how Samson has been, in this whole process. I suspect he was really miffed when he was told he wouldn't be retained, and maybe he said shit to Jeter's face or behind his back, and this was Jeter's little payback.
    I think the fact that Jeff Conine is called Mr. Marlin is pretty ridiculous, but on topic this move was obviously coming. These guys titles were literally "special assistant to the owner" or something along those lines. Logically those positions would be terminated upon a new owner coming.

Conine will still be involved with the team and on the broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      I think the fact that Jeff Conine is called Mr. Marlin is pretty ridiculous, but on topic this move was obviously coming. These guys titles were literally "special assistant to the owner" or something along those lines. Logically those positions would be terminated upon a new owner coming.

Conine will still be involved with the team and on the broadcasts.
      Well no one really gives a shit that you think it's "ridiculous" about Jeff Conine. If you don't know why then you learn history of the franchise. And how do you know what Conine's place will be inside the new regime ? Do you work for Jeter ?

Comment

Well no one really gives a shit that you think it's "ridiculous" about Jeff Conine. If you don't know why then you learn history of the franchise. And how do you know what Conine's place will be inside the new regime ? Do you work for Jeter ?
        I know why. Jeff Conine himself hates the nickname Mr. Marlin. He is Mr. Marlin solely because this franchise has had shitty ownership and traded away any actual franchise players before they could become a Dan Marino type figure for this franchise. He was obviously a solid player, but to call him Mr. Marlin is kind of sad given what he did on the field. He was a good player, but he is mr. marlin solely because of the way our ownership has run the team since the teams inception.

And i know because Jeff Conine has a contract to be on the broadcast.

Comment

I know why. Jeff Conine himself hates the nickname Mr. Marlin. He is Mr. Marlin solely because this franchise has had shitty ownership and traded away any actual franchise players before they could become a Dan Marino type figure for this franchise. He was obviously a solid player, but to call him Mr. Marlin is kind of sad given what he did on the field. He was a good player, but he is mr. marlin solely because of the way our ownership has run the team since the teams inception.

Ask Tommy Hutton about what it's like when an owner wants u gone

Comment

Other teams have special assistants like this - I think David Ortiz just became one with the Red Sox. Either way, regardless of what they - Conine, McKeon, Dawson, Perez - did, it just looks bad. And the silence is making it worse. I know the new group isn't in control yet, and that they don't want to say anything until they are in control, but when news like this breaks, it looks like more of the same to the casual fan.

If they want to dump the 4 salaries (gotta pay back Jeter's invsetment somehow!), I don't necessarily have a problem with that part of it, as they likely didn't do much aside from some PR and having some popular figures around to distract from Loria, but Jeter & Co have to break that news better when they take control. Thank them for what they've done for the organization, keep Conine around in a broadcasting capacity, etc.. Now maybe that's what they'll do, but at the moment, it doesn't look good.

It also points toward a possible direction on Stanton - that he'll be gone, if he'll just have someone else discard a franchise icon (the only one we have, mind you) for him like that.
            Last edited by rmc523; 09-25-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Ask Tommy Hutton about what it's like when an owner wants u gone
              Ok, then complain about it if Conine is fired. He was a special assistant to the owner. Said owner is now gone, therefore his position is now gone. Give it time to see what the overall plan is for the entire franchise and then be outraged. They're not even allowed to talk publicly yet and arent even the owners.

Im not arguing it looks good, im just saying give them time and dont be surprised that new owners have different plans for the franchise. These guys were mostly in these positions so Loria could deflect attention from himself being a terrible owner.

- - - - - - - - - -

And honestly, we've been in the playoffs twice in 25 years, if we radically overhaul everything this franchise does and has had in leadership positions, maybe that isnt such a bad thing.

- - - - - - - - - -

This has Samson's name all over it. He's leaked stuff to Lebatard recently, and if the plan was to inform these 4 guys of their decisions now and then thank them for their service to the organization when they are officially allowed to talk and make these decisions official, then your issue should be with Samson being Samson, not Jeter and the new ownership group having plans to overhaul the organization.

Comment

Being on a broadcast is not the same as part of the management....and he was seen a LOT less this year. So I wouldn't count on Waltz or Hollinsworth or Coninie or Minervini even being back.

Comment

Being on a broadcast is not the same as part of the management....and he was seen a LOT less this year. So I wouldn't count on Waltz or Hollinsworth or Coninie or Minervini even being back.
                  The TV group is NOT the problem with this organization.....I don't see why they need to be touched.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    The TV group is NOT the problem with this organization.....I don't see why they need to be touched.
                    Nor do I, but I'm sure Jeter will have some former "Yankee" buddies who will hit him up for a job....almost guarantee it.

Comment

Nor do I, but I'm sure Jeter will have some former "Yankee" buddies who will hit him up for a job....almost guarantee it.
                      I'd argue the TV group is one of the few positive things we have.

He can get rid of Jessica Blalock though.....I find her annoying. Allison Williams was much better.

Comment

I'd argue the TV group is one of the few positive things we have.

He can get rid of Jessica Blalock though.....I find her annoying. Allison Williams was much better.
                        Jessica Blalock is no Allison Williams, this is true...can her ass

Comment

I think the TV crew is the best it's been since I've been a Marlins fan.

Way better than Joe Angel and Gary Carter. lol

*EDIT* Jay Randolph (honestly I don't really remember this guy) and Gary Carter

Comment

Ya, I find it very unlikely that they will touch the broadcast group in any major way. Plus, do the broadcasters even work for the marlins or do they work for FSFlorida. I know the Loria pressured them into firing Hutton, but are they official team employees or Fox Sports employees?

- - - - - - - - - -

And ya, I find Blaylock to be fairly useless. What ever happened to Frank Forte btw? I think they removed him from an on air role with the team but I really liked Frank Forte.

Comment

Ya, I find it very unlikely that they will touch the broadcast group in any major way. Plus, do the broadcasters even work for the marlins or do they work for FSFlorida. I know the Loria pressured them into firing Hutton, but are they official team employees or Fox Sports employees?

- - - - - - - - - -

And ya, I find Blaylock to be fairly useless. What ever happened to Frank Forte btw? I think they removed him from an on air role with the team but I really liked Frank Forte.
                              I believe they're Fox/Fox Sports Florida employees, but it would seem as though the team has some say in who is there if the Hutton thing is any indication.

Not that I expect the in-game reporting to be anything extraordinary, but the stuff she talks about is just like "why"?

I've always liked Frank too....I think he's still involved, but does more of the behind the scenes stuff, but I could be wrong. I know someone that knows him, maybe I'll try to put some feelers out and see if I can find out anything. He was more on-air when it was just Rich, Tommy, and Craig, and Frank would fill in for Craig sometimes, at least that's the capacity I remember him in. Now that they've added 18 other people, so they may just not need him on air anymore.

Comment

I believe they're Fox/Fox Sports Florida employees, but it would seem as though the team has some say in who is there if the Hutton thing is any indication.

Not that I expect the in-game reporting to be anything extraordinary, but the stuff she talks about is just like "why"?

I've always liked Frank too....I think he's still involved, but does more of the behind the scenes stuff, but I could be wrong. I know someone that knows him, maybe I'll try to put some feelers out and see if I can find out anything. He was more on-air when it was just Rich, Tommy, and Craig, and Frank would fill in for Craig sometimes, at least that's the capacity I remember him in. Now that they've added 18 other people, so they may just not need him on air anymore.
                                Ya, her reports are just awful. Nothing of substance. I hate to be mean but she really needs to go. Im not even the biggest fan of Craig's personality but he is a very good pre and post game and in game guy, she is just awful. And a lot of time in sports people say that about women because they are sexist, but this is purely about the quality of her work. Allison Williams was great because her actual in game segments were informative and good. Blaylock is just terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X