Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    HUH? They could have gotten Bichette for Ozuna. Problem was we would have gotten little else. They went with 3 likely ML guys(Alcantara/Gallen/Sierra) instead of just 1(Bo)

They can get Bichette for Yelich in a second but Atlanta,SD,LAD,Colorado,Philly could all offer deeper packages. The issue with Toronto is beside Vlad Jr/Bo and maybe Alford their prospects arent that great. Miami asked Toronto for Vlad Jr AND Bo for Ozuna so that is what they would start with again for Yelich.

The question the FO has to ask themselves is would they rather have a Top 20 Prospect and lesser prospects from one team OR 3 Top 100 Prospects from another team? I prefer the deeper package 3 Top 100 and another 1 or 2 low level HOWEVER I wouldn't be pissed about a Vlad Jr,Gourriel,Zeuch or Reid-Foley and another 1 or 2 prospect deal.(Deal more about Vlad Jr than the others who arent that great)
    I just can't understand saying they need Bichette AND Vlad from Toronto (a top 5 and top 25 prospect), then when you don't get that, moving on and taking a package where the best player in a fringe top 100 prospect.

For me, this system now has enough mid level prospects, but they have very few guys with star potential. This team will never get a guy like that in free agency, so I'd go for elite prospects rather than more lower level prospects in the Yelich deal. If you can get Vlad and other lower level prospects, I'd rather that than 3 guys in the lower half of the top 100.

Again, though, I just don't have any faith that these guys can get that kind of return.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
      I just can't understand saying they need Bichette AND Vlad from Toronto (a top 5 and top 25 prospect), then when you don't get that, moving on and taking a package where the best player in a fringe top 100 prospect.

For me, this system now has enough mid level prospects, but they have very few guys with star potential. This team will never get a guy like that in free agency, so I'd go for elite prospects rather than more lower level prospects in the Yelich deal. If you can get Vlad and other lower level prospects, I'd rather that than 3 guys in the lower half of the top 100.

Again, though, I just don't have any faith that these guys can get that kind of return.
      I'm with you. Nothing below top level prospects will do for me.

Comment

• Doubtful we do a deal with Red Sox however if they miss out on Martinez and Hosmer maybe they try to get Bour?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...lp303VHX43c.97

MLB.com has them at 14/15 but we like #4/#6 guys alot.

MLB.com will be coming up with updated Top 30 next month but this why u shouldn't put much stock into their rankings right now
        Last edited by tjfla; 12-18-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• The Red Sox re-signed Mitch Moreland for 2/13, so they might be out on Bour regardless.

Comment

• Yeah I think Bour will start the season here.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post

Im assuming it would be because they think incredibly highly of Sierra and Alcantara.

- - - - - - - - - -

Between the trades we've already made and then still being able to deal Yelich, Straily, Bour, Bearclaw, and JT, we should have the best farm system in baseball by the end of the offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Im assuming it would be because they think incredibly highly of Sierra and Alcantara.

- - - - - - - - - -

Between the trades we've already made and then still being able to deal Yelich, Straily, Bour, Bearclaw, and JT, we should have the best farm system in baseball by the end of the offseason.
                I don't understand your blind faith in this ownership group. lol I honestly don't think they will be able to get the prospects in trades that you assume they will. Also I think teams know now that if they say no to what they want and offer secondary prospects the Marlins will take it anyways and talk up the prospects coming back. I don't see any way shape or form they will come out of this with the best farm system in baseball. I would say they are still around 25 or so now after the trades so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                  I don't understand your blind faith in this ownership group. lol I honestly don't think they will be able to get the prospects in trades that you assume they will. Also I think teams know now that if they say no to what they want and offer secondary prospects the Marlins will take it anyways and talk up the prospects coming back. I don't see any way shape or form they will come out of this with the best farm system in baseball. I would say they are still around 25 or so now after the trades so far.
                  you're literally just completely making up the bold.

Comment

• Look at how they talked up the guys they have gotten so far no one else is saying the things Mike Hill is saying about them. Ozuna should have gotten back at least one top 100 prospect. I don't see any way they get Guerrero from the Jays, Acuna from the Braves or any other true top echelon prosects for any of the remaining players. Teams will just say no and the Marlins will be stuck taking what they deem the best package. Didn't Jeter say something after trading Stanton about player not wanting to be there. I can't remember the exact wording but that they wouldn't be if they didn't want to be. If they trade the remaining guys Yelich etc who is going to be playing for this team there is literally no one at AA or AAA to bring up to play.

Comment

Look at how they talked up the guys they have gotten so far no one else is saying the things Mike Hill is saying about them. Ozuna should have gotten back at least one top 100 prospect. I don't see any way they get Guerrero from the Jays, Acuna from the Braves or any other true top echelon prosects for any of the remaining players. Teams will just say no and the Marlins will be stuck taking what they deem the best package. Didn't Jeter say something after trading Stanton about player not wanting to be there. I can't remember the exact wording but that they wouldn't be if they didn't want to be. If they trade the remaining guys Yelich etc who is going to be playing for this team there is literally no one at AA or AAA to bring up to play.
                      Again, not true. Also, Neidert was a BA top 100 prospect at midseason and Guzman and Alcantara could easily be top 100 on different lists to start this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        Again, not true. Also, Neidert was a BA top 100 prospect at midseason and Guzman and Alcantara could easily be top 100 on different lists to start this year.
                        Neidert was #2 in Seattle's system and #7 right now in our crappy farm system. Guzman may can throw 100mph but he will be 22yo before the season starts and has not pitched above short season ball. In reports he wore down pitching there how will he do when he plays a full season? I don't think he will be in the top 100 and I was talking about the Ozuna trade anyhow. I don't think you can honestly say that Alcantara could easily be in the top 100 right now. If he learns to pitch not walk so may batters he might could sneak in but as of how he pitched last year or in the AFL he is not deserving of being top 100.

Comment

Neidert was #2 in Seattle's system and #7 right now in our crappy farm system. Guzman may can throw 100mph but he will be 22yo before the season starts and has not pitched above short season ball. In reports he wore down pitching there how will he do when he plays a full season? I don't think he will be in the top 100 and I was talking about the Ozuna trade anyhow. I don't think you can honestly say that Alcantara could easily be in the top 100 right now. If he learns to pitch not walk so may batters he might could sneak in but as of how he pitched last year or in the AFL he is not deserving of being top 100.
                          you realize those rankings are not the consensus opinion of guys, correct?

Comment

• I do I was saying I don't think any of our players will be top 100 prospects in any ranking right now if Guzman and Alcantara get things figured out they might could be but as of now I don't think that they are.

Comment

I do I was saying I don't think any of our players will be top 100 prospects in any ranking right now if Guzman and Alcantara get things figured out they might could be but as of now I don't think that they are.
                              Certainly possible, but I also dont think top 100 prospects is the end all be all of everything. Obviously it's better to be on there than not, but Ozuna himself was never even a top 100 guy.

Comment

• Good lord if you don't go by rankings then how can you say we will have the best farm system after all the trades are said and done? All I said is Ozuna as a 2 time all star who is under team control for more then one season was worthy of getting at least one of the top minor league players back. I honestly don't think Hill will get enough in the remaining trades to get the Marlins farm system in the top 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X