No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still think you offer Realmuto the Salvador Perez buyout and build around him and Yelich. $55 millionish bucks with the chance at a second big contract at age 32 could change his attitude really quickly.

If he refuses, who cares trade him. He's not under control 21-22 anyways. It does make some baseball sense to trade him at his peak (3 years of control, probably not a 3.5+ WAR player moving forward even if he's pretty good and relatively safe with the defense) if they get someone who is a complete believer in him. He probably nets on paper a future # 2 SP and more which would be nice for where the team's pitching is at.

Anyways. I agree, this is silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      Trade Yelich and Realmuto.

Might as well BURN THIS HUT DOWN TO THE GROUND now
      Both of them can definitely bet a package beginning with Vlad and Bo.

- - - - - - - - - -

Btw Jon Heyman painted it different. As if it really wasn’t a request more so a suggestion.
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        Craig Mish reporting that JT Realmuto has requested a trade.

Not that they have to acquiesce, but if they can't sign him long term, then trade him
        They aren't trading him yet. He asked/requested because they have been talking alot to teams about Yelich and supposedly said something like might as well get a another/young catcher and trade me to because I won't be signing here

Again he isn't likely to be moved right now. They won't deal him unless they get a young C first

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          They aren't trading him yet. He asked/requested because they have been talking alot to teams about Yelich and supposedly said something like might as well get a another/young catcher and trade me to because I won't be signing here

Again he isn't likely to be moved right now. They won't deal him unless they get a young C first
          It's just silly to say "I won't be signing here" when you are 3 years from free agency. Again, things look bleak now, but 3 years is an eternity in sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            It's just silly to say "I won't be signing here" when you are 3 years from free agency. Again, things look bleak now, but 3 years is an eternity in sports.
            Least he is honest. It's like Ozuna everyone wanted to keep him and try to sign him longterm. Boras came out 2 years ago and said he is gonna be a FA no matter what. But ya 3 years is a long time so who knows. I wouldn't look for a deal tho-Yelich on the other hand is getting more and more likely

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
              Yeah. This is silly...He has 3 more years of team control until 2021. A lot can change in 3 years. That said, I'm not against trading him, or anyone else at this point.
              It sets a bad precedent if they cave to anyone that wants a trade.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Least he is honest. It's like Ozuna everyone wanted to keep him and try to sign him longterm. Boras came out 2 years ago and said he is gonna be a FA no matter what. But ya 3 years is a long time so who knows. I wouldn't look for a deal tho-Yelich on the other hand is getting more and more likely
              Ozuna is different though with Boras as his agent - very rarely do his clients sign extensions.

I'm just jaded by the whole past week....my enthusiasm for Marlins baseball overall has been greatly reduced.

Comment

• It really isnt different if its boras or not. If a player doesnt want to sign he wont sign. And Heyman said he didnt ask for a trade he suggested with whats going on and his value that he wouldnt mind getting traded.
                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  It sets a bad precedent if they cave to anyone that wants a trade.

Ozuna is different though with Boras as his agent - very rarely do his clients sign extensions.

I'm just jaded by the whole past week....my enthusiasm for Marlins baseball overall has been greatly reduced.
                  I would feel the same way if I didn't hear this was the plan since Aug. JT was kinda a suprise when I heard it but they have been asking for young C in talks so. They asked for Aramis Garcia from SF,liked Knizner from St Louis in Stanton deal and love Keibert Ruiz from LA

Comment

• Wonder if that’s why they took 3 different guys in the rule 5 who play catcher or if that’s just a coincidence

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                      It really isnt different if its boras or not. If a player doesnt want to sign he wont sign. And Heyman said he didnt ask for a trade he suggested with whats going on and his value that he wouldnt mind getting traded.
                      Ya he really didn't "request" it. Was more of a I am not gonna resign so u might wanna trade me now/soon and get something. More of an ask than request

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      Wonder if that’s why they took 3 different guys in the rule 5 who play catcher or if that’s just a coincidence
                      Hell no they took 3 catchers because they needed backup C in the minors. None of them will ever make the majors. Othman was in our system for years and is good for young pitchers(AA/Hi A)

Comment

• Realmuto can take 1/$4-4.5 this year, hope to have a big year, and get close to $7+ million next year.

Or can sign for 5/$55 and be a free agent at a reasonable age of 32 to get a good second 3-4 year contract.

Seems easy to me, especially as catchers wear down faster than most players and thus are riskier investments, and that Realmuto has basically made about $2 million to date. He may be unique given his physique and athleticism to risk getting to free agency at peak performance and not hurt, but he would be crazy to turn down those bucks for where he is in his career and life.

Comment

• Ya, if he doesn’t want to sign that deal than you got to move him. And to me if you move him just bite the bullet and move yelich too and start all over with the best farm system in the game

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            Ya, if he doesn’t want to sign that deal than you got to move him. And to me if you move him just bite the bullet and move yelich too and start all over with the best farm system in the game
                            Yelich will go before him. They are already talking alot on Yelich

Rosenthal just confirmed the Mish report.

I would still try to resign him but if not I would be calling Colorado. Need a C and tons of good prospects
                            Last edited by tjfla; 12-18-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Yelich will go before him. They are already talking alot on Yelich

Rosenthal just confirmed the Mish report.

I would still try to resign him but if not I would be calling Colorado. Need a C and tons of good prospects
                              M

Are they talking to Toronto at all on Yelich?

Sorry to keep asking.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                M

Are they talking to Toronto at all on Yelich?

Sorry to keep asking.....
                                Last I heard

Toronto,LAD,Atlanta,SD,Colorado,Oakland,Arizona,Ph illy but nothing serious really till after FA sign/holidays

Comment

Working...
                                X