• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    NYY/SD trade

Headley/Bryan Mitchell to SD for Jabari Blash

Looks like SD might be ready to start rebuild
    Haven't they been in the middle of a rebuild already?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      Haven't they been in the middle of a rebuild already?
      Ya but they have been talking Hosmer,Yelich,Cozart.

Now that there young guys are ready looks like they are spending cash on vets and really rebuild. U know 60 million on controllable guys for 2-3 years then can add 40 million on vets(2020 Fish)
      Last edited by tjfla; 12-12-2017, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        Because he is an unquestionable star signed for cheap for 5 years, ages 26-30(!), and he can survive a 2-3 year rebuild and be one of the best 3 players on a contending team smack in his prime. They likely won't be able to find someone who can replace his production, let alone at that price. He's very different from Stanton who had the monster contract, and Ozuna who is only under 2 years of control and all indications point to him maxing out a contract with Boras.

They will get enough more pitching prospects with moving Ozuna, Straily, Castro, and Bour to add to Rogers, Garret, Guzman, Neidert, M. Gonzalez, Peters, and Kolek where that can reasonably be projected for most/all of a longterm SP rotation even with a 50%+ flame out rate.

You can never say never, but unless it's the Herschel Walker package, you keep him. He and Realmuto (assuming a 5 year buyout) is an excellent 2 players to build around with the pitching coming in 1-2 years.
        -Yelich's trade value is really high for all the things you mention.
        -This franchise won't be competitive for awhile.
        -Yelich does not want to be here and who's to say he doesn't regress? I'd rather have the 4-5 prospects and "start from scratch" like Jeter said he wanted to do.

Comment

• I can see both sides of the Yelich thing. I'll say this, though. You have a good player in Yelich who, if kept, will be here when the plan is to be competitive again. You can trade him for a bundle of prospects, but as Marlins fans we know better than anyone that no matter how highly regarded those prospects are, it doesn't mean they'll be good (i.e. the Cabrera trade). It would really suck in a few years if Yelich is a perennial all-star in his prime, and the prospects we got back aren't anything special.

Comment

• Man I have never seen so many defeated guys. Everyone went from fighting with me 3 months ago when I said the plan to now just saying I guess if it has to happened

On brightside we might not need to package Prado with anything. Atlanta is VERY interested in we are paying 20 million of his deal

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
              I can see both sides of the Yelich thing. I'll say this, though. You have a good player in Yelich who, if kept, will be here when the plan is to be competitive again. You can trade him for a bundle of prospects, but as Marlins fans we know better than anyone that no matter how highly regarded those prospects are, it doesn't mean they'll be good (i.e. the Cabrera trade). It would really suck in a few years if Yelich is a perennial all-star in his prime, and the prospects we got back aren't anything special.
              By the time we're competitive again, Yelich's contract will be expiring again and he'd have gone through multiple rebuilds/firesales. He's not happy with this organization right now, and probably won't be happy in the coming years when he's producing, wasting his prime years on a 100 loss team. Just thinking of the human side of the game, I don't see why he'd ever want to re-sign here when his next contract is up. He signed a team-friendly deal here, and the organization has been a dysfunctional debacle around him in his time here.

I would grant him his wish by trading him, and I'll take the ~4 prospects. I also don't think Yelich is a future superstar, more a really solid core player (not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying).

Comment

• clarkspencer‏Verified account
                @clarkspencer

Count the Rockies, Blue Jays and Rangers - along with Cardinals and Nationals- expressing interest in Marcell Ozuna.

Also count in LAD,Oakland,Houston

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                  By the time we're competitive again, Yelich's contract will be expiring again and he'd have gone through multiple rebuilds/firesales. He's not happy with this organization right now, and probably won't be happy in the coming years when he's producing, wasting his prime years on a 100 loss team. Just thinking of the human side of the game, I don't see why he'd ever want to re-sign here when his next contract is up. He signed a team-friendly deal here, and the organization has been a dysfunctional debacle around him in his time here.

I would grant him his wish by trading him, and I'll take the ~4 prospects. I also don't think Yelich is a future superstar, more a really solid core player (not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying).
                  Yelich is signed through 2022. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest Miami could be competitive again before then if they are being up front about their plan. I get the human side of it, and if you get a great offer you have to consider it. I'm just saying, it's not a slam dunk for me because it could end up being a big mistake in the end.

Comment

-Yelich's trade value is really high for all the things you mention.
                    -This franchise won't be competitive for awhile.
                    -Yelich does not want to be here and who's to say he doesn't regress? I'd rather have the 4-5 prospects and "start from scratch" like Jeter said he wanted to do.
                    Sure, if it's the king's ransom +10% go for it. I think it's going to be very hard to replace him though. I can't see this scenario happening.

He will be here when they are competitive. It's a 5 year deal and everyone they get in these trades is ready 20/21.

I don't give a shit if Yelich wants to be here or not. He's a professional being paid millions of dollars.

If you're scared about regression, then sure I can buy that argument for a trade. Personally, I think he is awesome and one of the best players in baseball to build around. Three 4.5 WAR seasons entering age 26. I don't see regression coming for his skill set.

I think keeping Yelich and Realmuto on 5 year contracts with nearly all club controlled players behind them is starting from scratch. It's actually ahead of the curve really as you have two bookend well above average position players for 5 of their prime years.

Also, Yelich's contract is so good you can trade him in a year or two for probably the same package you can get now. You can hedge and see how the young pitchers work out for a year or two to reasonably project are they going to be able to contend the last 2-3 years of Yelichs contract.

We'll see. I can see your points, but it balances heavily to keep for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      clarkspencer‏Verified account
                      @clarkspencer

Count the Rockies, Blue Jays and Rangers - along with Cardinals and Nationals- expressing interest in Marcell Ozuna.

Also count in LAD,Oakland,Houston
                      There are some big time prospects among those teams. I really hope Miami can turn Ozuna into a haul that includes a top 25 (or so) prospect.

Comment

• Craig Mish‏Verified account
                        @CraigMish

Marlins would love to move Junichi Tazawa & his 7 MIL salary for '18. Besides his on the field struggles last season the team had to fire his interpreter last year & sources confirmed to me he unfortunately was suffering from anxiety.

Don't be suprised if we trade Tazawa to a team that he wants to go to and pay most of his salary OR even release him. Teams have gotten the anxiety reports to and are iffy about taking him on

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                        There are some big time prospects among those teams. I really hope Miami can turn Ozuna into a haul that includes a top 25 (or so) prospect.
                        Yep and Toronto,St Louis,Colorado,LAD,Oakland,SD,Philly(plus others) have interested in Yelich too

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                          Yelich is signed through 2022. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest Miami could be competitive again before then if they are being up front about their plan. I get the human side of it, and if you get a great offer you have to consider it. I'm just saying, it's not a slam dunk for me because it could end up being a big mistake in the end.
                          fish16 is probably the most optimistic fan left here, and, even he admits that maybe we'll be competitive again by 2021. It's going to take at least a couple of years.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post

If you're scared about regression, then sure I can buy that argument for a trade. Personally, I think he is awesome and one of the best players in baseball to build around. Three 4.5 WAR seasons entering age 26. I don't see regression coming for his skill set.
                          I'm not big on lineup protection, but going from being surrounded by Big G/Ozuna to playing next to nothing has to at least result in an adjustment period imo. That's why I brought up regression. Seems like a major change short-term at least. There's at least some risk of it. He's usually a slow starter as it is.

Comment

fish16 is probably the most optimistic fan left here, and, even he admits that maybe we'll be competitive again by 2021. It's going to take at least a couple of years.
                            Absolutely. 2020 at the earliest if absolutely everything cuts right, but more realistically 2021 after all the young pitchers have had 1-2 more years in the minors and 1-2 years in the bigs.

And in 2021, you have a 29 year old Yelich under contract for $14 million. He had 4.5 WAR seasons at ages 22, 24, and 25.

Comment

• Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman ยท 25m25 minutes ago

Source: marlins are working to trade ozuna and tazawa to get to $85-90M payroll first. Can’t rule out continuing firesale after that but the first thing is to get payroll in order.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Absolutely. 2020 at the earliest if absolutely everything cuts right, but more realistically 2021 after all the young pitchers have had 1-2 more years in the minors and 1-2 years in the bigs.

And in 2021, you have a 29 year old Yelich under contract for $14 million. He had 4.5 WAR seasons at ages 22, 24, and 25.
                              They want young guys ready by 2020 and then 2021 be ready to add onto that with FA to fill in roster

Comment

I'm not big on lineup protection, but going from being surrounded by Big G/Ozuna to playing next to nothing has to at least result in an adjustment period imo. That's why I brought up regression. Seems like a major change short-term at least. There's at least some risk of it. He's usually a slow starter as it is.
                                Sure, but he isn't going to evaporate. His hit tool is going to translate anywhere and for years. I view him as super low risk and like I said, a top 3 player on a contending team in his prime. That's hard to find and they have one for cheap. There is no reason to get rid of him.

Everyone else though, SEE YA.

- - - - - - - - - -

Any free agent they get in 2021 will not be better value than a $14 million Yelich in 2021.

Comment

Working...
                                X