Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Agreed, especially with Yelich's contract. To me, i'd be much more willing to trade JT than Yelich. I love JT's bat from the catcher position but I think a lot of his value is tied to the fact that he plays catcher and the catcher position as a whole is so terrible in the majors right now. He is a really nice hitter, but I think he is more of a low .800 OPS guy rather than closer to .900 OPS guy at his peak and if you can get an ace or superstar level talent at a different position id consider that heavily.
    So when we've finally filled the black hole that's been catcher for the last decade+, you want to move him?

Comment

If there was any doubt Loria had exactly the date in mind he was going to sell the team look at Stanton and Chen's contracts. What a shady mf'er.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        So when we've finally filled the black hole that's been catcher for the last decade+, you want to move him?
        If you can get an ace or a superstar level talent at a different position, yes. Obviously im not moving him for nothing, but he isnt a superstar level talent. He is 26, not 22 or 23 anymore, and he's put up high .700 OPS only, which is nice, but it isnt close to Buster Posey type ability. His value comes from being at a premium position. But if you can get a top prospect or ace type pitcher who is superstar level id do that in a second.

The fact that we've been incompetent and havent been able to find a catcher for 10+ years before him shouldnt play into any consideration of whether to trade him. I'd also be ok with re-signing Ellis and starting him next year if we can get a monster haul of top prospects for JT.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          If there was any doubt Loria had exactly the date in mind he was going to sell the team look at Stanton and Chen's contracts. What a shady mf'er.
          I always said he was just waiting for the contract clause to expire (that said he had to give X% of his sale proceeds to the city/county) before he sold. He's selling before that, though, so he's going to have to pay some back.

Comment

How does Chen's signing bonus work? He had a $13 million signing bonus, but I read somewhere that he hadn't yet been paid that Signing Bonus, so I assumed the new ownership would have to pay it. Is that correct?

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...signing-011916
            Chen
            18-10 million/2.6 bonus=12.6 million
            19-20 million/2.6 bonus=22.6 million
            20-22 million/2.6 bonus=24.6 million
            21(OPTION)-16 million=16 million*

*2021 option vests with
            180 IP in 2020, or 360 across 2019-20
            Is not on the DL at the end of 2020 and is healthy in 2021

Comment

The way Chen’s injury has been handled by Miami can only be described as violently horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Chen
                18-10 million/2.6 bonus=12.6 million
                19-20 million/2.6 bonus=22.6 million
                20-22 million/2.6 bonus=24.6 million
                21(OPTION)-16 million=16 million*

*2021 option vests with
                180 IP in 2020, or 360 across 2019-20
                Is not on the DL at the end of 2020 and is healthy in 2021
                Is a team required to pay the signing bonus in installments like that, though? Those installments don't really make sense unless the quote I posted a couple of posts above is just wrong.

Comment

Is a team required to pay the signing bonus in installments like that, though? Those installments don't really make sense unless the quote I posted a couple of posts above is just wrong.
                  Well 4 sites have 4 different #. Thats from sportstrac which usually is pretty good but only 1 thing for sure he is owed at least 64.8 million dollars after 10/1/2017

ANother site says

Chen gets a $13 million signing bonus, of which $5 million is payable on Nov. 30, 2017, and the remainder on June 30, 2018. The deal calls for salaries of $6 million this year and $9 million in 2017, and it includes player options at $10 million in 2018, $20 million in 2019 and $22 million in 2020. All three options must be decided within four days of the end of the 2017 World Series.

If Chen pitches at least 180 innings in 2020 or at least 360 in 2019 and '20 combined, he does not finish the season on the disabled list, and he is healthy for the following spring training, he would have a $16 million player option for 2021.

Much of his salary is deferred, with Chen receiving during the season $3 million this year, $4.5 million in 2017, $2 million in 2018, $4 million in 2019, $5 million in 2020 and $1 million in 2021. From 2016-20, he receives identical payments each Nov. 30.

In addition, $6 million is deferred without interest in 2018, $12 million in each of the following two seasons and, potentially, $15 million in 2021. That money is to be paid in installments on June 30 of $6 million in 2019, $9 million in 2020, $15 million in 2021 and, if the condition option is exercised, $15 million in 2022.
                  Last edited by tjfla; 09-28-2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    that contract is just so ridiculous

- - - - - - - - - -

Just to do a few hypothetical Ozuna trades: I'd love to see

Braves: Kyle Wright, Maitan, and then one of Ian Anderson, Gohara, or Wentz, and then a lower level prospect we take a flier on. I'd also give up a lot more to get Albies in there too instead of Maitan.
                    Rays: Honeywell and De Leon + a lower level guy.
                    Cards: See if we can nab Reyes, Flaherty, and then an OF guy who can start next year or a lower level high potential middle infield prospect.

Either way, we need to get not just a top of the rotation kind of guy for Ozuna, but an Ace type guy for him. He is the only piece that really makes sense to trade right now that will nab us an ace type guy (I dont want to trade Yelich or JT this offseason).
                    The team to watch for Ozuna is Toronto. The question is does Jeter try to get specific positons OR does he go the smart way and just stockpile talent? U get Vlad Jr(I would take Jr and make him the new face of franchise in LF) or Bo Bichette as the centerpiece an arm like TJ Zeuch or Reid-Foley then look at guys like Richard Urena(SS),Rowdy Tellez(1B),Anthony Alford(OF) to round the deal out.

With the way we are gonna rebuild u get as much talent as u can and go from there

Comment

Well 4 sites have 4 different #. Thats from sportstrac which usually is pretty good but only 1 thing for sure he is owed at least 64.8 million dollars after 10/1/2017

ANother site says

Chen gets a $13 million signing bonus, of which $5 million is payable on Nov. 30, 2017, and the remainder on June 30, 2018. The deal calls for salaries of $6 million this year and $9 million in 2017, and it includes player options at $10 million in 2018, $20 million in 2019 and $22 million in 2020. All three options must be decided within four days of the end of the 2017 World Series.

If Chen pitches at least 180 innings in 2020 or at least 360 in 2019 and '20 combined, he does not finish the season on the disabled list, and he is healthy for the following spring training, he would have a $16 million player option for 2021.

Much of his salary is deferred, with Chen receiving during the season $3 million this year, $4.5 million in 2017, $2 million in 2018, $4 million in 2019, $5 million in 2020 and $1 million in 2021. From 2016-20, he receives identical payments each Nov. 30.

In addition, $6 million is deferred without interest in 2018, $12 million in each of the following two seasons and, potentially, $15 million in 2021. That money is to be paid in installments on June 30 of $6 million in 2019, $9 million in 2020, $15 million in 2021 and, if the condition option is exercised, $15 million in 2022.
                      That made my brain hurt.

---

Sounds like Stanton doesn't want to go through another rebuild, so it wouldn't be surprising to see him opt out even if they don't trade him.

Comment

That made my brain hurt.

---

Sounds like Stanton doesn't want to go through another rebuild, so it wouldn't be surprising to see him opt out even if they don't trade him.
                        HAHA like said only 1 thing is for sure. Chen is owed 64.8 million by someone

He doesn't but he won't opt out. They are trying to work out a win-win which is why he will likely be in SF next year. He wants all of his cash and to play on the west coast while we want top prospects. SF doesnt really have what we want but they have solid prospects like Heliot Ramos,Chris Shaw,Christian Arroyo,Andrew Suarez,Tyler Beede and are willing to deal them

SD is the wild card because they have the prospects we want but at this moment he would rather go to SF(if those are the choices)

Comment

HAHA like said only 1 thing is for sure. Chen is owed 64.8 million by someone

He doesn't but he won't opt out. They are trying to work out a win-win which is why he will likely be in SF next year. He wants all of his cash and to play on the west coast while we want top prospects. SF doesnt really have what we want but they have solid prospects like Heliot Ramos,Chris Shaw,Christian Arroyo,Andrew Suarez,Tyler Beede and are willing to deal them

SD is the wild card because they have the prospects we want but at this moment he would rather go to SF(if those are the choices)
                          I wonder if some sort of three team trade could be put together.

Please let's not deal with San Diego again......that worked out so well the last two times.

Comment

I wonder if some sort of three team trade could be put together.

Please let's not deal with San Diego again......that worked out so well the last two times.
                            Why 3 team? Just collect talent and figure stuff out in 2019. Its not like we are gonna trade Stanton and compete next year.

U get Arroyo(ML ready 2b),Heliot Ramos(OF AZL MVP at 17),Chris Shaw(ML Ready 1B) and say Suarez (ML Ready LHP) for Stanton

- - - - - - - - - -

What has to be done is Jeter has to figure out a target date and then get guys who will be ready by then. Trades,IFA,draft. Stockpile talent and if the target date is 2020 make sure that those guys are ready by then. Meaning if u see a guy in the draft who will be ready in 2 years then u take him instead of a higher ceiling type. If u see a IFA who will be ready at 19/20 then u pay up for that guy

Also on otherside if u have guys who won't be around by the target date then get rid of them now and get stuff while value is high. Justin Bour/Bearclaw/Straily are examples of this

Comment

Why 3 team? Just collect talent and figure stuff out in 2019. Its not like we are gonna trade Stanton and compete next year.

U get Arroyo(ML ready 2b),Heliot Ramos(OF AZL MVP at 17),Chris Shaw(ML Ready 1B) and say Suarez (ML Ready LHP) for Stanton

- - - - - - - - - -

What has to be done is Jeter has to figure out a target date and then get guys who will be ready by then. Trades,IFA,draft. Stockpile talent and if the target date is 2020 make sure that those guys are ready by then. Meaning if u see a guy in the draft who will be ready in 2 years then u take him instead of a higher ceiling type. If u see a IFA who will be ready at 19/20 then u pay up for that guy

Also on otherside if u have guys who won't be around by the target date then get rid of them now and get stuff while value is high. Justin Bour/Bearclaw/Straily are examples of this
                              I mentioned a 3 team because you said "SF doesn't really have what we want."

Why would we trade for them if they're not what they want?

Comment

The team to watch for Ozuna is Toronto. The question is does Jeter try to get specific positons OR does he go the smart way and just stockpile talent? U get Vlad Jr(I would take Jr and make him the new face of franchise in LF) or Bo Bichette as the centerpiece an arm like TJ Zeuch or Reid-Foley then look at guys like Richard Urena(SS),Rowdy Tellez(1B),Anthony Alford(OF) to round the deal out.

With the way we are gonna rebuild u get as much talent as u can and go from there
                                I would take Vlad Jr in a heartbeat. I dont see the Blue Jays trading him or Bichette.

- - - - - - - - - -

SF as a trade partner for Stanton would be horrible. Their farm system is terrible and their top guy Arroyo isnt all that appealing either. You'd either want Dodgers, STL, or Boston, but he would probably be reluctant to waive his NTC for STL or BOS.

Comment

Working...
                                X