Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Here is video from yesterday from Peter Gammons about the Yelich situation. He says that the Marlins are demanding star talent like Acuna from ATL and could hold on to him until they get it. This is the proper strategy. There is no reason that the Marlins should settle for less than a huge haul for either Yelich or Realmuto. They either have to get what they demand in return or hold on to them.

https://www.mlb.com/video/marlins-wa...h/c-1872688683
    That is the plan unless its Atlanta,CWS or SD. They believe those teams systems are deep enough. If Toronto wants Yelich it will cost Vlad Jr and if Washington wants JT it costs Robles.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    If you want to talk about pitiful returns, look at what the Pirates got for Cole and McCutchen. Yikes.
    They got a starting 3B,ML SP(not as good) to replace Cole,2 ML RP and 2 young OF prospects.

Now I agree they didnt get what they should have but they traded 2 ML guys(21 Mil)for 5 ML guys for 5 mil and now have a spot for Austin Meadows. This is how mid market teams should rebuild if they are gonna.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      That is the plan unless its Atlanta,CWS or SD. They believe those teams systems are deep enough. If Toronto wants Yelich it will cost Vlad Jr and if Washington wants JT it costs Robles.

- - - - - - - - - -

They got a starting 3B,ML SP(not as good) to replace Cole,2 ML RP and 2 young OF prospects.

Now I agree they didnt get what they should have but they traded 2 ML guys(21 Mil)for 5 ML guys for 5 mil and now have a spot for Austin Meadows. This is how mid market teams should rebuild if they are gonna.
      Pretty much. I think i said this on the other board, but given the teams interested in Yelich, it makes no sense to move him unless you get a guy like an Acuna. We have the White Sox (Robert), Nats (Robles/Soto), Braves (Acuna), Astros (Tucker), Phillies (Sixto or Kingery or Crawford) and Jays (Vlad and Bo). Just make the teams bid against each other and if you cant get one of those guys, keeping Yelich shouldnt be an issue. It's not like he's an impending free agent. He needs to be a focal point for the future of the team and the state of the rebuild in the sense that you either keep him or build around him or trade him for an enormous haul of a top prospect + other prospects as well. IF you cant get that, you keep him, simple as that.

IDK why the White Sox would be willing to accelerate their rebuild when their guys arent really as close to the majors as, say, the braves, but if they'd be interested, I think Robert is an incredible prospect and future superstar, not to mention Cuban (although I think that's a bit overstated as far as how much that really matters to the community down here.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        Here is video from yesterday from Peter Gammons about the Yelich situation. He says that the Marlins are demanding star talent like Acuna from ATL and could hold on to him until they get it. This is the proper strategy. There is no reason that the Marlins should settle for less than a huge haul for either Yelich or Realmuto. They either have to get what they demand in return or hold on to them.

https://www.mlb.com/video/marlins-wa...h/c-1872688683
        Yep. The king's ransom + 10% is the only way I trade them. Acuna is a worthy centerpiece I could get behind. There are very few of those out there.

- - - - - - - - - -

I still offer Realmuto 5 years. If the kid is looking at probably $3.5 million in arbitration (cause he's going to win that one), he's probably on something like a $3.5-$6-$10+ trajectory if he plays well and accrues counting stats (good luck with this team). Value a free agency year at $20 million (assuming he stays a 3.5 WAR catcher), and the max he can probably make the next 5 years in an absolute best case scenario is something like $60 million.

Marlins should throw him $45+ million on a 5 year deal. They probably don't even need to get to the S. Perez deal based on the lower than expected arbitration tenders. JT would be crazy to not take it as a catcher. He has to protect his future versus $3.5 million and hoping to be healthy for 3 full seasons to get a pay day.

It's the press the Marlins need also. We have a plan, we expect to contend with Yelich and Realmuto even if 2018 sucks, etc. etc. They got to have something positive to talk about eventually right? I can't think of a better thing to do for both PR and longterm baseball reasons.

Comment

• I just want a fucking Vlad Jr Marlins jersey.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Let's not do another SD deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Pretty much. I think i said this on the other board, but given the teams interested in Yelich, it makes no sense to move him unless you get a guy like an Acuna. We have the White Sox (Robert), Nats (Robles/Soto), Braves (Acuna), Astros (Tucker), Phillies (Sixto or Kingery or Crawford) and Jays (Vlad and Bo). Just make the teams bid against each other and if you cant get one of those guys, keeping Yelich shouldnt be an issue. It's not like he's an impending free agent. He needs to be a focal point for the future of the team and the state of the rebuild in the sense that you either keep him or build around him or trade him for an enormous haul of a top prospect + other prospects as well. IF you cant get that, you keep him, simple as that.

IDK why the White Sox would be willing to accelerate their rebuild when their guys arent really as close to the majors as, say, the braves, but if they'd be interested, I think Robert is an incredible prospect and future superstar, not to mention Cuban (although I think that's a bit overstated as far as how much that really matters to the community down here.
              Actually CWS would be Moncada. We talked to them but didnt get far when we asked for Robert and Mike the Model as the starting point

We can get Soto from Washington but they want Robles in any deal. They can get Soto,Michael Taylor,Severino and more for JT right now if they wanted it but are only dealing with Yelich right now
              Last edited by tjfla; 01-18-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Actually CWS would be Moncada. We talked to them but didnt get far when we asked for Robert and Mike the Model as the starting point

We can get Soto from Washington but they want Robles in any deal. They can get Soto,Michael Taylor,Severino and more for JT right now if they wanted it but are only dealing with Yelich right now
                Moncada would be spectacular as well. I think i'd want Robert though more than him. If it is Moncada, id want more in terms of secondary prospects.

I keep hearing you talk about Severino from the nationals though and i have no idea why. IF you're referring to Pedro severino the catcher, nothing he's done in the minor leagues is at all impressive. And Michael Taylor similarly makes no sense for the marlins.

Comment

Moncada would be spectacular as well. I think i'd want Robert though more than him. If it is Moncada, id want more in terms of secondary prospects.

I keep hearing you talk about Severino from the nationals though and i have no idea why. IF you're referring to Pedro severino the catcher, nothing he's done in the minor leagues is at all impressive. And Michael Taylor similarly makes no sense for the marlins.
                  The Nats made us an offer for JT weeks ago

Nats-JT
                  Marlins-Soto,Michael Taylor,Pedro Severino and more(Fedde,Kieboom and younger guys were in it)

Marlins said NO. They want Robles in any deal-JT or Yelich

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  I just want a fucking Vlad Jr Marlins jersey.
                  Toronto knows what we want for Yelich all they do is have to call and say Vlad Jr AND Bo or Osuna. Soon as that happens game on

Comment

The Nats made us an offer for JT.

Nats-JT
                    Marlins-Soto,Michael Taylor,Pedro Severino and more(Fedde,Kieboom and younger guys were in it)

as they should. Just confused me the way you were putting it as if Severino is an important piece in any deal. He looks like a non prospect/backup C ceiling.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    The Nats made us an offer for JT weeks ago

Nats-JT

- - - - - - - - - -

Toronto knows what we want for Yelich all they do is have to call and say Vlad Jr AND Bo or Osuna. Soon as that happens game on
                    Also, why would a choice be between Bo Bichette and a closer? That makes 0 sense.

Comment

as they should. Just confused me the way you were putting it as if Severino is an important piece in any deal. He looks like a non prospect/backup C ceiling.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, why would a choice be between Bo Bichette and a closer? That makes 0 sense.
                      Exactly what he is but gives us a Catcher for trading one. I just keep saying Soto,Taylor and Severino because those were the names that were confirmed the others were all different names. He would be a minor piece-bigger piece would be Fedde or Kieboom. Like said Marlins weren't very interested in the offer but they did make it. This is why I said I wouldnt be surprised if he went to Houston or Texas

Got me just what I heard they want Vlad Jr AND 1 of them(plus more) in a deal for Yelich
                      Last edited by tjfla; 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Exactly what he is but gives us a Catcher for trading one. I just keep saying Soto,Taylor and Severino because those were the names that were confirmed the others were all different names. He would be a minor piece-bigger piece would be Fedde or Kieboom. Like said Marlins weren't very interested in the offer but they did make it. This is why I said I wouldnt be surprised if he went to Houston or Texas

Got me just what I heard they want Vlad Jr AND 1 of them(plus more) in a deal for Yelich
                        I wouldnt really even care about the rest of the deal so long as Vlad JR was in it, but ya, that makes 0 sense to choose between bo and Osuna. Clearly Toronto would choose to send Osuna in that scenario.

Comment

• Well, if all of this is true that is great news as far as I'm concerned. That's the type of return they should be expecting if they're going to move either of these two. I think they'll probably get it, too, for Yelich if as many teams are really in on him as we've heard. They'll probably play the waiting game and hope Miami caves (recent history gives them a reason to believe that), but I think if they're patient, one of these teams will budge.

Comment

• Excerpts

The Yankees, Marlins and Rangers look like the favorites for Martinez, who is still waiting for Major League Baseball to declare him a free agent. The current 2017-18 international signing period runs through June 15, so he should be cleared before then.

The Yankees and Marlins have limited bonus pool space available for 2017-18, so if one of them were to sign Martinez, he would likely wait to sign until July 2 when the 2018-19 signing period opens. After missing out on Shohei Ohtani, the Rangers still have space left in their 2017-18 pool, so signing with them right away once he's cleared could be an option for Martinez.

For the Marlins, signing Martinez would put him in the discussion as their new No. 1 prospect, a combination of Martinez's skill and the lack of talent in Miami’s farm system.

Based on his present talent level, Martinez is ready for a high Class A or Double-A assignment. A lefty around 5-foot-10, 185 pounds, Martinez in his last season in Cuba hit .333/.469/.498 with 52 walks, 30 strikeouts and six home runs in 264 plate appearances with 24 stolen bases in 29 tries. Martinez has a promising combination of power, speed and athleticism in center field. In Cuba he was a plus runner from home to first, though he has shown even better in the 60-yard dash recently while working out for clubs.

His all-around skill set has some similarities to a shorter version of a younger Curtis Granderson, though Martinez is faster.

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...D9Fzvhqk3gS.99

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Excerpts
                              That's really good to read. Granted its the cuban league, but for a speed guy I love to see a 30/52 K/BB ratio.

Comment

• Yes. It would be nice if they spent money and just bought a guy who would have a 1st round grade. Theoretically perfect with Yelich and Sierra too.

Comment

Working...
                                X