User Tag List

Page 86 of 92 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2283

Thread: Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

  1. #2126
    Senior Member

    fish16
    has no status.

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Posts
    2,131
    Reputation
    24048

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamarlins93 View Post
    No one will want Sierra. If you are able to trade him I don't think you are getting anything of any value back. As far as a catcher if you trade JT you will probably have to get one back in either a future trade or in the draft. I am not seeing one that the Nats or Astros have that would be a long term solution as a starter.
    Agreed on the catcher part. I think they at the very least will have to get back a stop gap guy in the mold of Wieters for this year because even though we are gonna suck this year regardless, we have literally nothing in terms of catchers that could play this year. As far as sierra, what i was trying to say was that not all of those guys would be MLB ready this year, so its something where you reevaluate next year and if they all have solid years, you maybe look to flip one of them for whatever we decide is a position of need next offseason. Whether you deal Sierra or one of the other guys or even move one of them to the infield somehow, i was just referring to the possibility of good scouting working out and hopefully all of them work out and we're working from a position of strength next offseason.

  2. #2127
    Senior Member

    sports24/7
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    395
    Reputation
    54472

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
    As of Right now(This will likely change)

    C-JT
    1B-Bour
    2B-Castro
    SS-Riddle
    3B-Prado
    LF-DD
    CF-Lee
    RF-Brinson

    Bench-Backup C,Rojas,Cooper,Van Slyke,(Maybe Another UT or Lee?)

    SP-Chen/Urena/Straily/Conley/Graves,Elieser,Smith,Nicolino
    RP-Garcia,Taz,Bearclaw,Sterckenrider,Wittgren,Ziegler ,(Despaigne/Elieser/Smith?)

    They want to Sign Jay or Melk Man so the OF will likely change with one of them in RF and Brinson to CF

    As for the arms-Graves and Elieser have to stick and Nicolino is out of options. They would like to get a Jaime Garcia,Nolasco,few other names as a cheap option



    - - - - - - - - - -

    Ya they still wanna trade JT but aren't into the Nats offer and haven't gotten far into talks with others. Castro still wants to be dealt but they keep telling him and his agent they will likely have to wait. If anyone offers a mid level prospect or IFA cash for him at ANYTIME,he is gone. This actually goes for about 6/7 guys-the FO have told everyone they are open for business and Taz,Prado,Castro can be had cheap while JT,Bour,Straily,Ziegler,DD,Bearclaw are tradeable in right offer

    Yes Miami would consider IFA Cash and Draft Picks in trades

    - - - - - - - - - -



    Cooper will be getting AB's. Right handed bat at 1B,LF,RF with all the starters LHB(Bour/DD/Jay or Melk Man). Could see him get the pinch hit bat and then Van Slyke go in to play the field
    You think they’ll send Anderson down again?

  3. #2128
    Senior Member

    fish16
    has no status.

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Posts
    2,131
    Reputation
    24048

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sports24/7 View Post
    You think they’ll send Anderson down again?
    Him and Brinson are the biggest question marks to me as far as guys who they send down to start the year. Sierra and Alcantara are pretty obviously not MLB ready so thats easier to keep down until their individual deadlines, but Brinson and Anderson to me will be fascinating to see what we do at the beginning of the year. I think Lou calculated that each needs a little more than a month to get an extra year of team control, but each of those guys also are pretty clearly ready to play every day in the majors, so im fascinated to see how they handle them to start the year. PR wise its obvious why that would be a bad move, especially Brinson who is looking like a potential fan favorite local guy, but baseball business wise it would be smart to keep them down in a year where we arent trying to win. Im really interested to see what they do with them to begin the year. I think id be cool with and understand whatever they end up doing.

  4. #2129
    Senior Member

    tjfla
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Posts
    4,645
    Reputation
    150423

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sports24/7 View Post
    You think they’ll send Anderson down again?
    If Prado and Castro are here than yes. Get him tons of AB's in NOLA and try to improve there value

    I prefer him at 3B up here but u can delay his FA if down for few weeks

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Looks like the JT to Houston talk was half real/half games. They are trying to get Washington to up the offer to Soto+ more however they aren't demanded Kyle Tucker. FO sees Houston as #1 having alot better prospects from #3-#20 and #2 JT would be in the AL so they don't have to see him

    They would like Tucker from Houston BUT would take a Yelich type deal as well. 3 Top Guys and another part or 2(Catcher and Rights to Elieser?)

    But yes they now have 2 teams and 2 others still interested(Oakland is one). If Washington offers Soto they will accept it and if Tucker is offered by Houston they will take it HOWEVER they will talk other names with Houston

  5. #2130
    Senior Member

    fish16
    has no status.

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Posts
    2,131
    Reputation
    24048

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Andy Slater

    Verified account

    @AndySlater
    5s6 seconds ago
    More
    SLATER SCOOP: Another Marlins offseason casualty. The sea creature race is no more, source says.
    Cool with this. Seemed just like a copy cat on other cities original races. Interested to see the ideas they come up with for in game entertainment given everything theyve said about wanting to change it up.

  6. #2131
    Senior Member

    dim
    has no status.
    dim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Posts
    2,882
    Reputation
    267111

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fish16 View Post
    Cool with this. Seemed just like a copy cat on other cities original races. Interested to see the ideas they come up with for in game entertainment given everything theyve said about wanting to change it up.
    Told you this was happening.

    Don't expect any major additions to in game entertainment. They want the focus to be on the baseball.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  7. #2132
    Senior Member

    dim
    has no status.
    dim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Posts
    2,882
    Reputation
    267111

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dim View Post
    Told you this was happening.

    Don't expect any major additions to in game entertainment. They want the focus to be on the baseball.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Saw the Sea Creature costumes saturday just hanging in the warehouse. Was a bit sad to see knowing they won't be used anymore.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  8. #2133
    Senior Member

    fish16
    has no status.

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Posts
    2,131
    Reputation
    24048

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dim View Post
    Told you this was happening.

    Don't expect any major additions to in game entertainment. They want the focus to be on the baseball.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Im good with that.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    They also need to fix the sound system in the ballpark. For whatever between inning entertainment they do have you cant hear it well.

  9. #2134
    Senior Member

    rmc523
    has no status.
    rmc523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale

    Posts
    1,547
    Reputation
    77229

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fish16 View Post
    Cool with this. Seemed just like a copy cat on other cities original races. Interested to see the ideas they come up with for in game entertainment given everything theyve said about wanting to change it up.
    Eh, I thought the sea creatures race - while maybe a copy cat of the races - was one of the fun in-game entertainment things. Much better than that stupid video Goya foods race thing they show on the screen (let's hope that's gone).

  10. #2135
    Senior Member

    fish16
    has no status.

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Posts
    2,131
    Reputation
    24048

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Craig Mish

    Verified account

    @CraigMish
    12s13 seconds ago
    More Craig Mish Retweeted Andy Slater
    FYI, the race was always fixed. Years ago, Julio the Octopus (who never wins) won because Bob the Shark fell. David Samson stormed into mascots room after and threatened to fire them all if Julio ever won again.
    Why'd Mish have to say this? No one wants to know how the sausage is made. But Samson really needed more things to do in his job.

  11. #2136
    Senior Member

    rmc523
    has no status.
    rmc523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale

    Posts
    1,547
    Reputation
    77229

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A note on ticket prices/sales so far:

    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...199512269.html

    So will attendance be better?

    The Marlins said 60 percent of them are reduced or the same and 40 percent have gone up in price although it wasn’t specified which sections increased or decreased in price. The team also said ticket prices could vary for depending on the opponent.

    Single-game ticket sales are ahead of last year’s pace and heading into Saturday when they went on sale, a team spokesman said they had sold more than double last year’s presale. Sales on Saturday at FanFest were well ahead of the first day of first day of on-sale last year according to the Marlins.

    The Marlins open the regular season at home against some marquee opponents. Their first four games are against the Chicago Cubs and the next two against the Boston Red Sox. The Marlins also play the New York Yankees in August.
    Single game ticket sales are obviously up due to the fact we play the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by fish16 View Post
    Why'd Mish have to say this? No one wants to know how the sausage is made. But Samson really needed more things to do in his job.
    Lol. Did anyone think it wasn't fixed?

  12. #2137
    Senior Member

    The_Godfather
    has no status.
    The_Godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Posts
    376
    Reputation
    50869

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fish16 View Post
    Why'd Mish have to say this? No one wants to know how the sausage is made. But Samson really needed more things to do in his job.
    lol is that real? Why do they fix the races?

  13. #2138
    Senior Member

    dim
    has no status.
    dim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Posts
    2,882
    Reputation
    267111

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Godfather View Post
    lol is that real? Why do they fix the races?
    So the races aren't "fixed" as they term it. They are choreographed to decide winner (The Presidents race with the Nationals is the same way when I helped with that during Spring Training last year), but the Sea Creature race has some flexibility to decide how they do each run. It's not exactly running through things moment by moment nor is it all that serious. Sucks that it got discontinued because the guys doing the race were good people. It does suck that the team isn't going all out on ridiculous minor league baseball style entertainment next season. Trying to be 'traditional' isn't the right approach for this current situation in my opinion. Go full carny.
    Last edited by dim; 02-12-2018 at 08:39 PM.

  14. #2139
    Senior Member

    sports24/7
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    395
    Reputation
    54472

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dim View Post
    So the races aren't "fixed" as they term it. They are choreographed to decide winner (The Presidents race with the Nationals is the same way when I helped with that during Spring Training last year), but the Sea Creature race has some flexibility to decide how they do each run. It's not exactly running through things moment by moment nor is it all that serious. Sucks that it got discontinued because the guys doing the race were good people. It does suck that the team isn't going all out on ridiculous minor league baseball style entertainment next season. Trying to be 'traditional' isn't the right approach for this current situation in my opinion. Go full carny.
    That all sounds fine. Threatening to fire all of them because one fell and the wrong creature won is beyond absurd. I couldn't be happier that Sampson was let go despite wanting to stay.

  15. #2140
    Senior Member

    dim
    has no status.
    dim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Posts
    2,882
    Reputation
    267111

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sports24/7 View Post
    That all sounds fine. Threatening to fire all of them because one fell and the wrong creature won is beyond absurd. I couldn't be happier that Sampson was let go despite wanting to stay.
    Never heard that story that happened before my time. All I know is we did a mini trial thing a bit back and don't think anything got all that positive reviews with Jeter and crew. Not surprising he wants an old school "focus on baseball" attitude towards things. This is obviously the wrong season to do that tho.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  16. #2141
    Senior Member

    rmc523
    has no status.
    rmc523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale

    Posts
    1,547
    Reputation
    77229

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dim View Post
    Never heard that story that happened before my time. All I know is we did a mini trial thing a bit back and don't think anything got all that positive reviews with Jeter and crew. Not surprising he wants an old school "focus on baseball" attitude towards things. This is obviously the wrong season to do that tho.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    A mini trial? Of what?

  17. #2142
    Senior Member

    dim
    has no status.
    dim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Posts
    2,882
    Reputation
    267111

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    A mini trial? Of what?
    A mock game minus the actual game.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  18. #2143
    Senior Member

    sports24/7
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    395
    Reputation
    54472

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Craig Mish

    Verified account

    @CraigMish
    44m44 minutes ago
    More
    As @JonHeyman & @JoeFrisaro noted interest FA’s Jon Jay & Melky Cabrera. Marlins have spoken with both. Melky has told teams he wants 2 years. If he will take 1 yr, MIA is in. If not, looks like Jay could be the choice.
    Props to TJ for mentioning Jay as a possibility a while ago. Cabrera or Jay would be surprisingly solid signings, actually, IMO.

  19. #2144
    Senior Member

    fish16
    has no status.

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Posts
    2,131
    Reputation
    24048

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Whichever one takes a 1 year deal first. Similar enough guys. Jay has the UM ties. Id go him and hope he plays well enough to get something for him at the deadline, if not him as a 4th OF for the remainder of the year wouldnt be terrible.

  20. #2145
    Senior Member

    tjfla
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Posts
    4,645
    Reputation
    150423

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sports24/7 View Post
    Props to TJ for mentioning Jay as a possibility a while ago. Cabrera or Jay would be surprisingly solid signings, actually, IMO.
    They want EITHER 1 and also have offers out to 2 other OF however they are longer shots

    Also have 1 year offers out to 3 or 4 SP. Garcia/Nolasco/Anibal/Jesse Chavez

    But are more into the OF market and trying to trade JT right now
    Last edited by tjfla; 02-13-2018 at 02:05 PM.

  21. #2146
    Senior Member

    fauowls44
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Posts
    537
    Reputation
    57782

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
    They want EITHER 1 and also have offers out to 2 other OF however they are longer shots

    Also have 1 year offers out to 3 or 4 SP. Garcia/Nolasco/Anibal/Jesse Chavez

    But are more into the OF market and trying to trade JT right now
    If I had to guess the other OFs, I'd go with Carlos Gomez and Carlos Gonzalez...maybe Bautista?

  22. #2147
    Senior Member

    tjfla
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Posts
    4,645
    Reputation
    150423

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fauowls44 View Post
    If I had to guess the other OFs, I'd go with Carlos Gomez and Carlos Gonzalez...maybe Bautista?
    Nope. They want LHB who can play CF/4th OF type-Jarrod Dyson is 1 guy

    Not looking to spend tons of any of these guys

    Other one I have heard Colby Rasmus but not confirmed
    Last edited by tjfla; 02-13-2018 at 02:14 PM.

  23. #2148
    Senior Member

    lou
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Posts
    2,922
    Reputation
    627895

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So payroll is probably around $86+ million right now, I believe they have a $7 million insurance policy on Volquez so that is $79, and some Chen money is deferred so that's probably somewhat lower from those random payments.

    I believe the Wolverine budget was $85-90 million for this year, so getting rid of JT lowers this to probably the low 70s, assuming Volquez-insurance and Chen-deferments, so that's plenty of money to spend $3-5 million each an OF, SP, and presumably new catcher. That's probably "$80+ million" opening day, with a real chance to lower that dramatically with in season trades of all the obvious names.

    A 3rd division starter / good 4th OF is definitely what they need. This guy is probably only going to start 60+ games and then be jettisoned for Brinson, Sierra, and B. Lee, which I presume is the core outfield in August

    April - Dietrich, Veteran, Ortega/Van Slyke/Cooper
    May 8th - Dietrich, Brinson, Veteran/Ortega-Cooper-SVS if they break out and require playing time
    Aug 1 - B. Lee, Brinson, Sierra, with Ortega and Cooper on the bench; Dietrich, Veteran, and SVS moved in July

    Makes sense to me. Whoever wants to sign and get playing time to rehabilitate themselves. All these names sound good to me.

  24. #2149
    Senior Member

    tjfla
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Posts
    4,645
    Reputation
    150423

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    So payroll is probably around $86+ million right now, I believe they have a $7 million insurance policy on Volquez so that is $79, and some Chen money is deferred so that's probably somewhat lower from those random payments.

    I believe the Wolverine budget was $85-90 million for this year, so getting rid of JT lowers this to probably the low 70s, assuming Volquez-insurance and Chen-deferments, so that's plenty of money to spend $3-5 million each an OF, SP, and presumably new catcher. That's probably "$80+ million" opening day, with a real chance to lower that dramatically with in season trades of all the obvious names.

    A 3rd division starter / good 4th OF is definitely what they need. This guy is probably only going to start 60+ games and then be jettisoned for Brinson, Sierra, and B. Lee, which I presume is the core outfield in August

    April - Dietrich, Veteran, Ortega/Van Slyke/Cooper
    May 8th - Dietrich, Brinson, Veteran/Ortega-Cooper-SVS if they break out and require playing time
    Aug 1 - B. Lee, Brinson, Sierra, with Ortega and Cooper on the bench; Dietrich, Veteran, and SVS moved in July

    Makes sense to me. Whoever wants to sign and get playing time to rehabilitate themselves. All these names sound good to me.
    That is the plan. Looking to spend 2.5-3 million(plus incentives) on LH OF who can play CF/4th OF type and the same amount on a POSSIBLE SP(depends on what they get for JT)

    They want to spend around 5 million(Not counting incentives)

    As for Catcher I have heard Grandal or even AJ Ellis but more likely is Wallach/Telis and get either Severino OR Stassi in a JT deal

  25. #2150
    Senior Member

    lou
    has no status.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Posts
    2,922
    Reputation
    627895

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All of that is fine to me.

    It's a little bizarre though they are open to spending $20-30 million on payroll between now and July to field a 70+ win team with Bour, Castro, Straily, Ziegler, etc. I guess they just don't want to be generationally bad and think that's worth it versus moving the horde in July.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •