No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually Yelich was Minus in Arm and Power. Ozuna and Stanton were both Minus in Bat coming up thru the minors

Alot of guys are "5 Tool" in the minors because of projection however when they get to the majors it disappears quick. Ozuna eventually became 5 tool but Stanton and Yelich were never. Yelich's Power still might happen

Harrison is minus in bat right now and Sierra is minus in power and bat. Brinson is hard to tell because of where he played but was minus in bat. All 3 are Speed/Defense/Arm PLUS. Braxton Lee is Plus in 4 tools

Tools don't mean much tho as long as u have guys that fit the team. If u need a guy to play Gold Glove CF/Steal 50+ Bases and bat leadoff it doesn't mater if he only hits 4 HR's. Same with 1B-if u need someone to hit 40HR and 100RBI u don't care if he has a minus bat or minus defense
    Last edited by tjfla; 02-17-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• All true, tjfla. With the opportunity to build a team from scratch, however, it would seem best to shoot for all-around skills at every position. In that regard, Realmuto is the one catcher that has that profile - he and maybe his former Jacksonville teammate Austin Barnes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
        All true, tjfla. With the opportunity to build a team from scratch, however, it would seem best to shoot for all-around skills at every position. In that regard, Realmuto is the one catcher that has that profile - he and maybe his former Jacksonville teammate Austin Barnes.
        Austin Barnes? He isn't 5 tool in fact he wouldn't have been a Catcher if he was still in Miami. They were going to make him a offensive 2B before they got the chance to get Dee

The kid we got at GBoro this year at C(Jared Barnes) has a chance to be a good C. Just few years off

We actually have some depth at Catcher in the minors. The isssue is none are close to ready. Roy Morales has talent(drug thing killed his development).

I wouldn't mind if we draft 2 or 3 Catchers in first Top 10 Rds this draft. Get some more talent and see if one can stick

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Actually Yelich was Minus in Arm and Power. Ozuna and Stanton were both Minus in Bat coming up thru the minors

Alot of guys are "5 Tool" in the minors because of projection however when they get to the majors it disappears quick. Ozuna eventually became 5 tool but Stanton and Yelich were never. Yelich's Power still might happen

Harrison is minus in bat right now and Sierra is minus in power and bat. Brinson is hard to tell because of where he played but was minus in bat. All 3 are Speed/Defense/Arm PLUS. Braxton Lee is Plus in 4 tools

Tools don't mean much tho as long as u have guys that fit the team. If u need a guy to play Gold Glove CF/Steal 50+ Bases and bat leadoff it doesn't mater if he only hits 4 HR's. Same with 1B-if u need someone to hit 40HR and 100RBI u don't care if he has a minus bat or minus defense
          Yeah I wasn't talking about what they were in the minors.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, how was Stanton not 5-tool. His average was nothing to write home about, but certainly more than good enough for a hitter with even half his power. His speed didn't translate to steals but certainly was a factor in his outfield play. Yelich hit 39 homers the last 2 years. 20 HRs a season isn't good enough to qualify for the power tool?

Comment

• Barnes is actually rated as 6th best among MLB catchers. When Barnes and Realmuto anchored the Jacksonville AA champions, Barnes actually had better hitting numbers than JT. Together, they would have been the perfect Marlin tandem. https://www.mlb.com/news/buster-pose...rs/c-265337230

Comment

Barnes is actually rated as 6th best among MLB catchers. When Barnes and Realmuto anchored the Jacksonville AA champions, Barnes actually had better hitting numbers than JT. Together, they would have been the perfect Marlin tandem. https://www.mlb.com/news/buster-pose...rs/c-265337230
              Yes now. But if he was with us still he would have been at 2B,that is what we were going to make him before he was traded. They had decided JT was Catcher of Future and Barnes was 2B of Future in 2012 but didn't need him around if Dee was gonna be at 2B

Comment

• Failure to utilize guys who can play several positions properly and also valuing them in the minor league system has been a staple of the marlins organization for some time.

Comment

• Ill never get the point of an Austin Barnes throw in in that Dee trade. He was clearly underrated as a prospect his entire time here.

Comment

• short people

get no respect. Austin's only 5-8. Of course, Altuve changed all that.

Comment

• DFA'd Severino Gonzalez.

A move is certainly coming.

Comment

• please claim Corey Dickerson
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

What OF is that? Brinson and who? We've got 3-tool Sierra - no power or plate discipline. 4-tool Braxton Lee (18 assists from CF in AA last season!) would be a decent fourth OF. If we're building a truly great team, we want three OF that can do it all. Harrison and my aforementioned Daniel Johnson would do that. Tucker would work too.
                          Brinson, Harrison
                          Sierra, B. Miller
                          Lee, Norwood, Hernandez
                          Ortega, Soto

Pretty solid prospect tier for the future OF right now.

I also don't care about tools, I care about production. Billy Hamilton has averaged a 2.5 WAR the last 4 seasons (two of them under 500 PA), and if Sierra turns into that on defense, speed, and some slap hits alone, that's a real solid starter in CF. Even better if Brinson/Harrison work out, one of Miller/Norwood/Hernandez reach their 90th percentile projections, and then Sierra becomes a premium 4th OF.

I'm just saying, I feel good about this group turning into a starting OF. They can certainly use some more guys as depth is always a concern, but they have very weak future prospects at C/MI/SP right now so to me, they should focus up the middle versus acquiring more OF.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          please claim Corey Dickerson
                          Can't they trade him to anyone for 10 days?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Brinson, Harrison
                            Sierra, B. Miller
                            Lee, Norwood, Hernandez
                            Ortega, Soto

Pretty solid prospect tier for the future OF right now.

I also don't care about tools, I care about production. Billy Hamilton has averaged a 2.5 WAR the last 4 seasons (two of them under 500 PA), and if Sierra turns into that on defense, speed, and some slap hits alone, that's a real solid starter in CF. Even better if Brinson/Harrison work out, one of Miller/Norwood/Hernandez reach their 90th percentile projections, and then Sierra becomes a premium 4th OF.

I'm just saying, I feel good about this group turning into a starting OF. They can certainly use some more guys as depth is always a concern, but they have very weak future prospects at C/MI/SP right now so to me, they should focus up the middle versus acquiring more OF.

- - - - - - - - - -

Can't they trade him to anyone for 10 days?
                            Exactly what lou said-our OF depth is very solid already in the minors. We also have Austin Dean/Stone Garrett/Zach Sullivan who if learn how to hit can become something and Corey Bird/Kyle Barrett as 4th OF types.

I actually like Daniel Johnson but he isn't a "main" piece in any deal and would rather go after Martinez. Johnson is 5'10 180 but does has power

We are weak in MIF/C/arms

- - - - - - - - - -

Crazy stuff going on all night

Hosmer to SD
                            Odorizzi to Minn
                            Cron to TB
                            Dickerson DFA

Would jump all over Dickerson instead of Melky or Jay but TB will probably trade him for PTBNL

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            DFA'd Severino Gonzalez.

A move is certainly coming.
                            Outrighted to NOLA so still in system

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ben Taylor(Red Sox DFA) as a target
                            Last edited by tjfla; 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Yep. Tampa's action is akin to putting Dickerson up for auction. Best bid gets him. His $6 million would be steep for the Marlins, who are dining at Golden Corral.

Comment

• Wouldn’t mind Dickerson but his stats are deceiving. He was bad last year for the majority of the year. Bad splits and spent most of his career at coors

Comment

Working...
                                X