X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dickerson traded to Pitt

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Id like to see Galloway get some major league time this year. He sucks, but he's a nice story given how long he has toiled in our system and he hit well last year in limited time in AAA. He's not better than maybin.
      Galloway had outstanding numbers last season

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
        Galloway had outstanding numbers last season
        he did but he also barely played.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rangers are apparently the favorite to sign Martinez now. Figured when they made the moves for more IFA money.

Comment

• It's amazing that one of the Rays prospects tore his UCL 4 days ago and had surgery today. Meanwhile Chen tore his 4 years ago and has yet to have it (ok, not 4 years, but that sounds more dramatic).

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            It's amazing that one of the Rays prospects tore his UCL 4 days ago and had surgery today. Meanwhile Chen tore his 4 years ago and has yet to have it (ok, not 4 years, but that sounds more dramatic).
            Honeywell is 21 and wants to cash in eventually
            Chen is 32 and has 100 million dollars already

Chen gets his PCP treatments 2 times a year tho so he can throw 1 MONTH!!

If baseball was like football Chen would have had TJ 4 days after so he would collect all of his $. Instead he gets paid no matter what he does
            Last edited by tjfla; 02-27-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Have they said what the plan is for Chen? Also, if he was "healthy" and in the bullpen to end the year why in the fuck would he not be ready for spring training?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Honeywell is 21 and wants to cash in eventually
                Chen is 32 and has 100 million dollars already

Chen gets his PCP treatments 2 times a year tho so he can throw 1 MONTH!!

If baseball was like football Chen would have had TJ 4 days after so he would collect all of his $. Instead he gets paid no matter what he does
                Forgive my ignorance, but how does football work?

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Have they said what the plan is for Chen? Also, if he was "healthy" and in the bullpen to end the year why in the fuck would he not be ready for spring training?
                Because he obviously isn't and needs TJ.

Comment

• The Freak signed with Texas. Was rooting for him to come to Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    Have they said what the plan is for Chen? Also, if he was "healthy" and in the bullpen to end the year why in the fuck would he not be ready for spring training?
                    Ya same plan as every year. Shot in offseason/pitch for a month then elbow acts up and needs another shot/come back in Sept for 2 weeks then repeat

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    Forgive my ignorance, but how does football work?

Because he obviously isn't and needs TJ.
                    In football u can sign for example a 4/70 deal with 15 million bonus. Just say u suck or even get hurt they can release u and the ONLY money u get is the bonus and that years salary. The team has dead cap space then but guy doesn't get paid either

A team can even tell a guy if u wanna stay u have to take less base salary. A guy could have a 8 million dollar deal and the team can say if u wanna stay here we will give u 4 million and 4 million in incentives. Player says NO he is released with 0

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    The Freak signed with Texas. Was rooting for him to come to Miami.
                    No chance. He wanted to go to a contender and more west.

We still have some feelers on guys like Nolasco for 1/3 plus incentives but most of these guys are hoping a contender calls before saying yes to us

Comment

• Texas getting more money for Martinez. Reports are he will get between 2.5-2.75

Of course the 1 year we actually spend all of our cash is the year we need the money. 4 out of 5 years we had like 3 million+ left at this point

Comment

Texas getting more money for Martinez. Reports are he will get between 2.5-2.75

Of course the 1 year we actually spend all of our cash is the year we need the money. 4 out of 5 years we had like 3 million+ left at this point
                        Actually they did spend some but they traded a big portion of it away again. The Yankees and Mariners got big chunks of it. That is one reason I didn't see Martinez as a realistic option. If they were truly interested in him they would have held onto that money rather then trade it for minor league filler. I hope this is a trend they don't continue to do like the last regime. Who knows at this point tho what they will do.

Comment

Ya same plan as every year. Shot in offseason/pitch for a month then elbow acts up and needs another shot/come back in Sept for 2 weeks then repeat

- - - - - - - - - -

In football u can sign for example a 4/70 deal with 15 million bonus. Just say u suck or even get hurt they can release u and the ONLY money u get is the bonus and that years salary. The team has dead cap space then but guy doesn't get paid either

A team can even tell a guy if u wanna stay u have to take less base salary. A guy could have a 8 million dollar deal and the team can say if u wanna stay here we will give u 4 million and 4 million in incentives. Player says NO he is released with 0

- - - - - - - - - -

No chance. He wanted to go to a contender and more west.

We still have some feelers on guys like Nolasco for 1/3 plus incentives but most of these guys are hoping a contender calls before saying yes to us
                          Oh, I see. Interesting. So the guy's contract number would count against their cap even if they release him? They just don't have to pay him?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            Oh, I see. Interesting. So the guy's contract number would count against their cap even if they release him? They just don't have to pay him?
                            Some do and some don't. Not sure how it works against the cap. But in NFL u can release a guy anytime and they get NO more cash

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                            Actually they did spend some but they traded a big portion of it away again. The Yankees and Mariners got big chunks of it. That is one reason I didn't see Martinez as a realistic option. If they were truly interested in him they would have held onto that money rather then trade it for minor league filler. I hope this is a trend they don't continue to do like the last regime. Who knows at this point tho what they will do.
                            They traded 1.25 million for Cooper/Smith/Torres(3 Very Solid players no minor league filler here) and spent the other cash on solid prospects like Marinez/Machado BEFORE they knew Martinez was gonna be a FA. In past years before we would have 3-4 million left still at this point

If Martinez would wait 3 months Miami would give him more than 3 million

Encouraged about the willingness to sign IFA and Cubans always come on the market!!
                            Last edited by tjfla; 02-28-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

They traded 1.25 million for Cooper/Smith/Torres(3 Very Solid players no minor league filler here) and spent the other cash on solid prospects like Marinez/Machado BEFORE they knew Martinez was gonna be a FA. In past years before we would have 3-4 million left still at this point

If Martinez would wait 3 months Miami would give him more than 3 million

Encouraged about the willingness to sign IFA and Cubans always come on the market!!
                              They can say anything they want to about signing IFA and Cubans but until they actually do I just can't believe them. I am sure this is due to how Loria did things but with Hill still being there I just want to see it actually happen before I trust they will.

Cooper might be a backup but that's TBD. The fact that until last year at age 26 he showed very little power worries me. Smith will be this years Despaigne up and down from the minors and back and forth between the pen and rotation. His earlier minor league numbers really don't match what he did at AAA last year. Torres might be ok but I don't know if getting him was worth possibly missing out on Martinez. There was talk before either trade that there was a chance Martinez would be available this cycle.

Comment

• I think C. Smith is out of options. Just saying about going up and down. I think he will stick with the MLB team.

I can't fault them for using money on a bunch of guys. The key for me is, when the next IFA period comes, the team has legitimate young depth of club controlled players which it hasn't had in years. And if you don't agree with that, they are getting 15+ more guys with the forthcoming veteran trades/high 2018 draft picks so they really do have a nice depth chart of prospects emerging.

But this next cycle, they need to add OOOMPH to the longterm team by getting 1-2 potentially high end guys and not 5-6 projects. They have plenty of projects. It's all in on the top guys in IFA for the next 2 cycles and getting Brinson, Harrison, Alcantara, Guzman, Rogers, etc. level guys versus building a farm of competent prospects. That's been accomplished, swing for the home runs now.

Comment

Working...
                                X