Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
    wow Got cleared fast. Unfortunately for the Marlins. I think he’ll be a Ranger.
    Why u think that?

- - - - - - - - - -

Martinez would be #1-3 in our prospects. All different opinions

He can sign now however IF he waits till July 2 he can make ALOT more cash. NYY and Miami are pretty much maxed out while Texas has about 1.25 million to spend till July 2. When July 2 comes the 3 have between 4.75-5.75(Not including what they trade for OR have committed to other players already)

So if he signs BEFORE July 2 most he can get is like 1.25. If on July 2 he can make 4.75 or even more

The expert guys like Badler/Jesse Sanchez think he waits till July 2

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      I didnt mean the income taxes, i was referring to that I thought the Rangers had more to spend than us but i could have been wrong. Also, I think the Yankees do too after they didnt sign ohtani. I honestly have no idea though. Ill go back and read the original post on us being interested in him to see if it says anything.

- - - - - - - - - -

This is what that original article said. I guess we all have the same amount of money it just depends on when he can sign. My money is on the rangers given that he can sign right away and they also have the added bonus like the marlins of not really having a loaded farm system/major league OF so he has an opening.

I think id rank it Rangers, Marlins, Yankees.

- - - - - - - - - -

Its crazy how much just being somewhat active in the IFA market can help teams in so many ways. Its like a second kind of draft where you get great young talent without having to give up anything but cash, they can fill holes on your roster, or if you sign the right guys you can get guys like Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jiminez in the same signing period and be able to trade them for huge pieces on playoff/championship teams. I really hope Denbo and Jeter really put an emphasis on that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Who is the most high profile IFA guy we signed under Loria? I know Ozuna became really great but I dont think he was one of the top guys in his class. I may be forgetting someone, but did we sign any of those high profile guys?

- - - - - - - - - -

while looking for the best IFA signing we had i came across a list of best free agency signings in franchise history that was written right before we moved into the new ballpark. This one is a gem
      Jose Torres who was the supposedly the 2nd coming of Miguel Cabrera. However we always made offers to the Cuban guys-Marlins offer was 20 million while other teams offered 60 million

- - - - - - - - - -

Signed Maybin but still have offers out to Melky,Jay,Rasmus. Also still got offers out to a few vet arms.

No numbers on Maybin but they have been offering 1/3 plus incentives to lots of guys. Yes also still working on JT trade but nothing close

Comment

• Jon Heyman‏Verified account
        @JonHeyman
        Following Following @JonHeyman
        More
        cameron maybin gets $3.25M plus performance bonuses on #marlins deal

8:15 AM - 21 Feb 2018

I'd still like to get Jay or Melky if they can...give the prospects as much time as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
          Jon Heyman‏Verified account
          @JonHeyman
          More

I'd still like to get Jay or Melky if they can...give the prospects as much time as possible.
          Personally, I'd rather see Brinson, Lee and Sierra play. If you're gonna lose this year, at least do it with players that some fans will be curious to watch. Brinson and Lee aren't young - both will be playing at age 24.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            Jon Heyman‏Verified account
            @JonHeyman
            More

Ya same offer they have made Jay and Melky.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rasmus signed a Minor League deal with Baltimore(We offered him one too)

Another fish16 fave got popped!! Washington had Raudy Read and Houston just had Forest Whitney get popped for drugs

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
              Personally, I'd rather see Brinson, Lee and Sierra play. If you're gonna lose this year, at least do it with players that some fans will be curious to watch. Brinson and Lee aren't young - both will be playing at age 24.
              I don't disagree but there is a real benefit to keeping those guys down in the minors until June/July.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                U will be seeing LOTS of them-however if u wait till June u get them for another year of control.

- - - - - - - - - -

Offers of 1/3 with incentives to Jay and Melky as well as 3 or 4 SP.They also have a few minor league offers to OF and arms

Likely sign a vet SP for 1/3 and a OF or 2 on minor league deals

- - - - - - - - - -

Texas is loading up for a Martinez run now. They just got another $350K

Comment

• The Rangers just acquired 350K in international money from the Reds.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    The Rangers just acquired 350K in international money from the Reds.
                    Yep Martinez is gonna have to decide. Sign now with Texas for 1.75/2 million OR wait till July 2 and get 3 or 4 million

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      The Rangers just acquired 350K in international money from the Reds.
                      cant be good news for our chances.

- - - - - - - - - -

Im cool with the maybin signing. Dont really care who it was as long as they are a major league talent with a possibility of a mid season flip to a contender. Is it bad if i kind of want Brinson/Sierra to struggle in spring training so that we dont have to make the front office make that decision to send them down after a good spring training. I dont really trust the front office to make the smart service time call.

- - - - - - - - - -

Carlos Gomez just signed with the Rays. Interested to see what he got. Would have been a better buy low candidate.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Im cool with the maybin signing. Dont really care who it was as long as they are a major league talent with a possibility of a mid season flip to a contender. Is it bad if i kind of want Brinson/Sierra to struggle in spring training so that we dont have to make the front office make that decision to send them down after a good spring training. I dont really trust the front office to make the smart service time call.

- - - - - - - - - -

Carlos Gomez just signed with the Rays. Interested to see what he got. Would have been a better buy low candidate.
                        1 year, $4M.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

All depends on if Martinez wants more than 2 million or not. He is going to finish the year in AA no matter whom he is with

The OF who sign are all gonna get between 3/4 million. Same with the pitchers. Its the market which is why we could still sign Jay or Melky. More likely would be 1 or 2 on minor league deals however. Saunders and Rasmus got only minor league deals. They have offers out on Jay and Melky but could see them signing a Seth Smith or Franklin Guiterrez to Minor league deal and sending Brinson down for 2 months

Right now
                          LF-DD/Cooper
                          CF-Maybin/Van Slyke
                          RF-Brinson/Van Slyke/Cooper

If u sign a Jay or Melky u send Cooper down to get regular AB's in AAA or Van Slyke as AAA depth
                          Last edited by tjfla; 02-21-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Gomez got 1 year 4 million. Not the biggest deal and i may be just going based off what he was years ago, but i think he would have been the better choice for the money. Doesnt matter though. Getting something in a deadline flip is the 2nd priority with anyone we signed, getting an extra year of service time is the top priority so hopefully we do it.

- - - - - - - - - -

I hope we go with

LF- Dietrich
                            CF- Maybin
                            RF- Cooper

with Van Slyke and maybe even Braxton Lee too to start the year. Sierra wont be a question as i think he is clearly not MLB ready, im just super worried that the team is thinking Brinson can win a starting job if he performs well in Spring. I dont have faith that they will make the right service time move for a variety of reasons.

Comment

• Tons of options but hope lou EMAILS the FO and tells them the cutoff days for the young guys.

What team looks like right now

C-JT/Wallach
                              1B-Bour/Cooper(LF/RF)
                              2B-Castro
                              SS-Riddle/Rojas(UT)
                              3B-Prado
                              LF-DD(3B)
                              CF-Maybin
                              RF-Brinson/Van Slyke(4th OF/1B)

SP-Straily/Urena/Garcia/Conley,Smith,Nicolino,Graves,Eliser,Turner(2 spots)

RP-LHP?/Despaigne/Steckenrider/Wittgren/Taz/Bearclaw/Ziegler
                              Last edited by tjfla; 02-21-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Id also be OK with STILL adding Jay or Melky. Cooper is a wild card even though im high on him and I think we're over estimating how good Van Slyke is based on his performance from a few years ago. Wont be the end of the world for a month, but i think theres a chance he might just be done as a productive ML player. He's been truly bad for 3 straight years. I guess we have Ortega too who Lou seems to be high on I just dont see the fascination with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X