No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martinez (Cuban OF) cleared for international signing March 6th - https://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...e8YBw4WfRAg.97

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      Martinez (Cuban OF) cleared for international signing March 6th - https://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...e8YBw4WfRAg.97
      Anyone know what his prospect ranking would be? He obviously doesnt seem like an Ohtani/Luis Robert kinda guy to me but he still seems like a good prospect. either way would be a huge addition. WE would have a OF surplus but that isnt a bad thing in the slightest and especially given that they all wont be ready this year anyway we can take the year to evaluate everyone and in the best case scenario of everyone working out we could either move a guys position or just deal him for a position we find out later that we need. Would be a huge signing and a great problem to have.

- - - - - - - - - -

That doesn't necessarily mean Martinez will sign during the current signing period, since some teams have already exhausted their 2017-18 bonus pools. The three favorites to sign Martinez are the Marlins, Rangers and Yankees. If the Marlins or Yankees land Martinez, he would likely wait to sign until the 2018-19 period opens on July 2. The Rangers have spent some of their 2017-18 pool money they had allocated for Shohei Ohtani, but they might still have enough to sign him in March and have him begin his career right away.
      Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/international/julio-pablo-martinez-cleared-sign/#gUi3yzfrSkwyxTw0.99
      This except scares me a little for our chances. I wonder how much he wants to sign right away vs. get the right fit. Would be nice to FINALLY land one of these Cuban guys, although i think that the Cuban aspect and how that would bring out fans is a little overrated. We've missed out/purposely bid low on Cespedes, Chapman, Moncada, anyone else im missing? I know there are a few that i cant think of off the top of my head.

- - - - - - - - - -

And also does anyone know what league level the Cuban league is compared to MLB. His numbers are insane but its obviously all relative. Cuba has a shit ton of talent obviously i just dont know how much weight to put on those numbers.

Comment

• wow Got cleared fast. Unfortunately for the Marlins. I think he’ll be a Ranger.
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          And also does anyone know what league level the Cuban league is compared to MLB. His numbers are insane but its obviously all relative. Cuba has a shit ton of talent obviously i just dont know how much weight to put on those numbers.
          A few years ago I read an article that said Cuba was basically High-A, but considering the impact of a lot of the guys, it might be A+/AA. Japan was a solid AAA level of competition, if not "good" AAA teams, latin summer leagues AA level, and Korea low-mid A ball. Who knows how accurate that is though.

I would assume he is top 5 in the system minimum, if not "3."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
            wow Got cleared fast. Unfortunately for the Marlins. I think he’ll be a Ranger.
            got the same bad feeling. We're going against 2 of the best teams in the league as far as signing IFA's. I do wonder, since the Yanks are interested, how much Denbo was involved in that before he left there and whether that will help our chances potentially.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
            A few years ago I read an article that said Cuba was basically High-A, but considering the impact of a lot of the guys, it might be A+/AA. Japan was a solid AAA level of competition, if not "good" AAA teams, latin summer leagues AA level, and Korea low-mid A ball. Who knows how accurate that is though.

I would assume he is top 5 in the system minimum, if not "3."
            Ya i think just judging on the scouting reports that he would be around the level of Harrison.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just saw Chris Tillman signed for one year and 3 million with the Orioles. Wish we got in on that for that price. Think he has a good chance for a bounce back year and he's been really good in his career aside from last year.

Comment

• Can't see him going to the Yankees with Stanton, Judge, Frazier, Hicks, and Florial looming. He has massive AB competition.

Path to AB in Miami is easy if he's good. The money is all equal, so it's really a race to service time if I'm his agent.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                Can't see him going to the Yankees with Stanton, Judge, Frazier, Hicks, and Florial looming. He has massive AB competition.

Path to AB in Miami is easy if he's good. The money is all equal, so it's really a race to service time if I'm his agent.
                i dont think the money is all equal though. I could be wrong though.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  i dont think the money is all equal though. I could be wrong though.
                  Money isn't equal if he chooses NY. TX and FL no state tax.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                    Money isn't equal if he chooses NY. TX and FL no state tax.
                    I didnt mean the income taxes, i was referring to that I thought the Rangers had more to spend than us but i could have been wrong. Also, I think the Yankees do too after they didnt sign ohtani. I honestly have no idea though. Ill go back and read the original post on us being interested in him to see if it says anything.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Yankees and Marlins have limited bonus pool space available for 2017-18, so if one of them were to sign Martinez, he would likely wait to sign until July 2 when the 2018-19 signing period opens. After missing out on Shohei Ohtani, the Rangers still have space left in their 2017-18 pool, so signing with them right away once he's cleared could be an option for Martinez.
                    Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...g2Vbf727YBM.99
                    This is what that original article said. I guess we all have the same amount of money it just depends on when he can sign. My money is on the rangers given that he can sign right away and they also have the added bonus like the marlins of not really having a loaded farm system/major league OF so he has an opening.

I think id rank it Rangers, Marlins, Yankees.

- - - - - - - - - -

Its crazy how much just being somewhat active in the IFA market can help teams in so many ways. Its like a second kind of draft where you get great young talent without having to give up anything but cash, they can fill holes on your roster, or if you sign the right guys you can get guys like Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jiminez in the same signing period and be able to trade them for huge pieces on playoff/championship teams. I really hope Denbo and Jeter really put an emphasis on that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Who is the most high profile IFA guy we signed under Loria? I know Ozuna became really great but I dont think he was one of the top guys in his class. I may be forgetting someone, but did we sign any of those high profile guys?

- - - - - - - - - -

while looking for the best IFA signing we had i came across a list of best free agency signings in franchise history that was written right before we moved into the new ballpark. This one is a gem

Heath Bell
                    10 OF 11
                    On Dec. 2, 2011, Heath Bell was expensively inked by the recently renamed Miami Marlins.

With a new stadium set to open for the 2012 regular season, it's hard to blame the front office for giving a three-year, $27 million deal to a closer who has been the National League's most dependable since 2009.

Now several months past his 34th birthday, his age cannot be entirely ignored.

Still, his fastball was plenty powerful last season. Combined with his plus-curveball and strike-throwing tendency, and the vast dimensions of new Marlins Ballpark, Bell is sure to succeed.

Comment

• Cameron Maybin has signed and is now in camp. Sounds like a 1 year MLB deal.

I assume he will start in CF for at least a couple of months, with DD in left and Brinson in RF.
                      Last edited by fauowls44; 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Maybin and Turner. Getting the band back together
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          Maybin and Turner. Getting the band back together
                          Nolasco is still out there and we can use a starter!

Comment

• Jokes aside of getting the band back together, he's a fine April-July player. He was pretty good in 2016 so hopefully he has that in him to turn into something in July.

Probably looking at something like this for an OF start distribution:

Brinson 125 - up May 8th for good
                            Dietrich 80 - mid-season trade
                            Maybin 80 - mid-season trade
                            B. Lee 60 - up sometime in July
                            Sierra 60 - up sometime in July
                            Ortega 40 - de facto 4th OF the whole year
                            Cooper/SVS/Prado/God Knows - 41, spot starts

Comment

• Jokes aside? We just signed Cameron Maybin to play alongside Dietrich in our OF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                                Jokes aside? We just signed Cameron Maybin to play alongside Dietrich in our OF!
                                Did you expect something not a joke when we traded the best outfield in baseball?

Comment

Working...
                                X