Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Cool with this. Seemed just like a copy cat on other cities original races. Interested to see the ideas they come up with for in game entertainment given everything theyve said about wanting to change it up.
    Told you this was happening.

Don't expect any major additions to in game entertainment. They want the focus to be on the baseball.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post

Don't expect any major additions to in game entertainment. They want the focus to be on the baseball.

Saw the Sea Creature costumes saturday just hanging in the warehouse. Was a bit sad to see knowing they won't be used anymore.

Comment

Im good with that.

- - - - - - - - - -

They also need to fix the sound system in the ballpark. For whatever between inning entertainment they do have you cant hear it well.

Comment

Cool with this. Seemed just like a copy cat on other cities original races. Interested to see the ideas they come up with for in game entertainment given everything theyve said about wanting to change it up.
          Eh, I thought the sea creatures race - while maybe a copy cat of the races - was one of the fun in-game entertainment things. Much better than that stupid video Goya foods race thing they show on the screen (let's hope that's gone).

Comment

• Craig Mish

Verified account

@CraigMish
            12s13 seconds ago
            More Craig Mish Retweeted Andy Slater
            FYI, the race was always fixed. Years ago, Julio the Octopus (who never wins) won because Bob the Shark fell. David Samson stormed into mascots room after and threatened to fire them all if Julio ever won again.
            Why'd Mish have to say this? No one wants to know how the sausage is made. But Samson really needed more things to do in his job.

Comment

• A note on ticket prices/sales so far:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...199512269.html

So will attendance be better?

The Marlins said 60 percent of them are reduced or the same and 40 percent have gone up in price although it wasn’t specified which sections increased or decreased in price. The team also said ticket prices could vary for depending on the opponent.

Single-game ticket sales are ahead of last year’s pace and heading into Saturday when they went on sale, a team spokesman said they had sold more than double last year’s presale. Sales on Saturday at FanFest were well ahead of the first day of first day of on-sale last year according to the Marlins.

The Marlins open the regular season at home against some marquee opponents. Their first four games are against the Chicago Cubs and the next two against the Boston Red Sox. The Marlins also play the New York Yankees in August.
              Single game ticket sales are obviously up due to the fact we play the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Why'd Mish have to say this? No one wants to know how the sausage is made. But Samson really needed more things to do in his job.
              Lol. Did anyone think it wasn't fixed?

Comment

lol is that real? Why do they fix the races?

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
                  lol is that real? Why do they fix the races?
                  So the races aren't "fixed" as they term it. They are choreographed to decide winner (The Presidents race with the Nationals is the same way when I helped with that during Spring Training last year), but the Sea Creature race has some flexibility to decide how they do each run. It's not exactly running through things moment by moment nor is it all that serious. Sucks that it got discontinued because the guys doing the race were good people. It does suck that the team isn't going all out on ridiculous minor league baseball style entertainment next season. Trying to be 'traditional' isn't the right approach for this current situation in my opinion. Go full carny.
                  Last edited by dim; 02-12-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

So the races aren't "fixed" as they term it. They are choreographed to decide winner (The Presidents race with the Nationals is the same way when I helped with that during Spring Training last year), but the Sea Creature race has some flexibility to decide how they do each run. It's not exactly running through things moment by moment nor is it all that serious. Sucks that it got discontinued because the guys doing the race were good people. It does suck that the team isn't going all out on ridiculous minor league baseball style entertainment next season. Trying to be 'traditional' isn't the right approach for this current situation in my opinion. Go full carny.
                    That all sounds fine. Threatening to fire all of them because one fell and the wrong creature won is beyond absurd. I couldn't be happier that Sampson was let go despite wanting to stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                      That all sounds fine. Threatening to fire all of them because one fell and the wrong creature won is beyond absurd. I couldn't be happier that Sampson was let go despite wanting to stay.
                      Never heard that story that happened before my time. All I know is we did a mini trial thing a bit back and don't think anything got all that positive reviews with Jeter and crew. Not surprising he wants an old school "focus on baseball" attitude towards things. This is obviously the wrong season to do that tho.

Comment

Never heard that story that happened before my time. All I know is we did a mini trial thing a bit back and don't think anything got all that positive reviews with Jeter and crew. Not surprising he wants an old school "focus on baseball" attitude towards things. This is obviously the wrong season to do that tho.

A mini trial? Of what?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          A mini trial? Of what?
                          A mock game minus the actual game.

Comment

• Craig Mish

Verified account

@CraigMish
                            44m44 minutes ago
                            More
                            As @JonHeyman & @JoeFrisaro noted interest FA’s Jon Jay & Melky Cabrera. Marlins have spoken with both. Melky has told teams he wants 2 years. If he will take 1 yr, MIA is in. If not, looks like Jay could be the choice.
                            Props to TJ for mentioning Jay as a possibility a while ago. Cabrera or Jay would be surprisingly solid signings, actually, IMO.

Comment

• Whichever one takes a 1 year deal first. Similar enough guys. Jay has the UM ties. Id go him and hope he plays well enough to get something for him at the deadline, if not him as a 4th OF for the remainder of the year wouldnt be terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                Props to TJ for mentioning Jay as a possibility a while ago. Cabrera or Jay would be surprisingly solid signings, actually, IMO.
                                They want EITHER 1 and also have offers out to 2 other OF however they are longer shots

Also have 1 year offers out to 3 or 4 SP. Garcia/Nolasco/Anibal/Jesse Chavez

But are more into the OF market and trying to trade JT right now
                                Last edited by tjfla; 02-13-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X