No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can only rate a guy who hasn't played above Low-A so high. Dude has 300 ABs as a professional, that's it. He's a good prospect who is 2-3 years away from the majors a lot can happen in that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
      I think both sides are just dicking around before finally accepting Soto/Kieboom. It makes sense for both sides since it's good value for the Marlins and the Nats don't have to give up their top guy. I think this gets done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      this. We have leverage in the sense that we can realistically hold out for more due to the division thing, and they have leverage in the sense that there are still so many free agents out there that they can just act like they will get instead.

I think this gets done. I also think Soto is a better prospect than Brinson, although its close due to their respective proximity to the majors.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        I would be cool with Soto,Kieboom,Antuna OR Garcia and Severino. Again would love to see Houston/Colorado or even Arizona to jump in because rather not help Washington. Houston and Colorado could make offers similar to that. Martes/Alvarez/Nova and Stubbs OR Ryan McMahon,Hampson,Peter Lambert and more would be solid deals

That is the "idea" have a payroll of 40-50 million in 2020 and fill in gaps(SS/SP) with FA or trades
        I mean they have a lot of gaps right now long term....

C - ________
        1B - ________; Fringe prospect in Cooper
        2B - Diaz
        SS - __________; Fringe - C. Torres, J. Devers, Riddle
        3B - Anderson, Nelson, Dunand
        OF - Brinson, Harrison, Sierra, B. Miller; Fringe - B. Lee, B. Hernandez, J. Norwood
        SP 1/2 - Guzman, Alcantara, Rogers, Garret (based on pedigree anyways)
        SP 3/4/5 - Urena, Conley, Niedert, M. Gonzalez. D. Peters, Gallen; Fringe - E. Cabrera, T. Richards, Kolek, Yamamoto
        RP High Leverage - Steckenrider, Wittgren; Fringe - J. Garcia, whoever doesn't cut it above
        RP Backend - Ellington, O'Grady, Brigham, E. Hernandez, T. Guerrero, C. Smith, Poteet, and whoever doesn't cut it above

But hopefully some of those gaps get filled by August when inevitably Realmuto, Bour, Straily, Castro, Barraclough, Dietrich, Prado, Ziegler, and Tazawa are moved, they net 2-3 guys well regarded with their early 2018 draft picks, and hopefully sign 1-3 IFA of note this summer.

Hard to really project them until we see the final returns from this "restructuring," but 6 months from now could be an interesting prospect/young MLB depth chart. I just hope that moving Yelich doesn't come to bite them in the ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          I can only rate a guy who hasn't played above Low-A so high. Dude has 300 ABs as a professional, that's it. He's a good prospect who is 2-3 years away from the majors a lot can happen in that time.
          That's a fair assessment then if that's what youre doing. I just think his hit tool and plate discipline is extremely rare even given how little he's played.

301 career ab's, but .362 avg, .953 OPS, and the best part to me is a career 38/31 K/BB ratio. Not a ton of walks but that lack of K's is incredibly appealing to me. Especially as a contrast to the 3 top hitting guys we got in the Yelich deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            this. We have leverage in the sense that we can realistically hold out for more due to the division thing, and they have leverage in the sense that there are still so many free agents out there that they can just act like they will get instead.

I think this gets done. I also think Soto is a better prospect than Brinson, although its close due to their respective proximity to the majors.
            This is what everyone thinks. Like said earlier this weekend they were having very serious talks with Miami asking for Robles(1 for 1) and Washington counter with Kieboom,Fedde,Michael Taylor or another lesser OF,Antuna OR Garcia and Severino

Comment

This is what everyone thinks. Like said earlier this weekend they were having very serious talks with Miami asking for Robles(1 for 1) and Washington counter with Kieboom,Fedde,Michael Taylor or another lesser OF,Antuna OR Garcia and Severino
              Ya that Kieboom as the lead prospect thing better not get it done for the marlins, and all indications are that it wont. Id add more on our side to get Soto and Kieboom as the lead guys. Barraclough? I also think it would be incredibly smart for the marlins to take back Wieters too if that would help sweeten the deal for the Nats.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Ya that Kieboom as the lead prospect thing better not get it done for the marlins, and all indications are that it wont. Id add more on our side to get Soto and Kieboom as the lead guys. Barraclough? I also think it would be incredibly smart for the marlins to take back Wieters too if that would help sweeten the deal for the Nats.
                Hard to throw in Barraclough without expanding the deal more. He's got some real value. I think Wieters/Ziegler swap is more realistic which also makes sense.

Realmuto, Ziegler (they make $12.5)
                for
                Soto, Kieboom, Fedde/Antuna/Garcia, Read/Severino, and Wieters(makes $10.5)

Marlins flip Wieters in July so Marlins payroll goes down at least $6 million when all is said and done, and nets 3 good prospects and their backup catcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                  I mean they have a lot of gaps right now long term....

C - ________
                  1B - ________; Fringe prospect in Cooper
                  2B - Diaz
                  SS - __________; Fringe - C. Torres, J. Devers, Riddle
                  3B - Anderson, Nelson, Dunand
                  OF - Brinson, Harrison, Sierra, B. Miller; Fringe - B. Lee, B. Hernandez, J. Norwood
                  SP 1/2 - Guzman, Alcantara, Rogers, Garret (based on pedigree anyways)
                  SP 3/4/5 - Urena, Conley, Niedert, M. Gonzalez. D. Peters, Gallen; Fringe - E. Cabrera, T. Richards, Kolek, Yamamoto
                  RP High Leverage - Steckenrider, Wittgren; Fringe - J. Garcia, whoever doesn't cut it above
                  RP Backend - Ellington, O'Grady, Brigham, E. Hernandez, T. Guerrero, C. Smith, Poteet, and whoever doesn't cut it above

But hopefully some of those gaps get filled by August when inevitably Realmuto, Bour, Straily, Castro, Barraclough, Dietrich, Prado, Ziegler, and Tazawa are moved, they net 2-3 guys well regarded with their early 2018 draft picks, and hopefully sign 1-3 IFA of note this summer.

Hard to really project them until we see the final returns from this "restructuring," but 6 months from now could be an interesting prospect/young MLB depth chart. I just hope that moving Yelich doesn't come to bite them in the ass.
                  Love when u do lists like this. THANKS!!

They seem to want to keep Dunand at SS and have heard if they get another big time OF(Soto/IFA Martinez) Brinson could go to 1B. I don't think they will ever run out of RP since we draft tons of them and wouldn't be surprising to see Merandy and Kolek in pen

Could see us going with another SP 1/2 with #13 like Gilbert/Rolison/Kowar and wouldn't be suprised to see us BPA college guy with 3 picks in Top 90 to add more talent

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  Hard to throw in Barraclough without expanding the deal more. He's got some real value. I think Wieters/Ziegler swap is more realistic which also makes sense.

for

Marlins flip Wieters in July so Marlins payroll goes down at least $6 million when all is said and done, and nets 3 good prospects and their backup catcher.
                  Thing about Ziegler is he has some value. The thing holding us back is the FA market right now. No one wants Ziegler for 8 million if they can get a FA for 4/5 million. Bearclaw has tons of value and will only get more if he becomes closer

Comment

for

I dont know how much value Ziegler has though. Could be just me, however, as i really cant stand those types of relievers. I am definitely in favor of trading 1 of Ziegler/Barraclough before the season starts though and letting the other one close until the deadline and hopefully you get someone to overvalue a closer because "saves."

Comment

• Rotations(Right Now)

ML-Chen(till May)/Urena/Straily/Conley/Graves,Elieser,Nicolino,Smith
                      AAA-Alcantara/Gallen/Peters/Richards/Turner
                      AA-Neidert/Merandy/Lopez/Yamamoto/Poteet/Meyer
                      A-Guzman/Beggs/Clark/Brandon Miller/Duval/Dugger/Kolek
                      A-Rogers/Cabrera/Castano/Guenther/Remey Reed/Braley

Not counting guys coming off DL
                      Last edited by tjfla; 01-30-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Rotations(Right Now)

ML-Chen(till May)/Urena/Straily/Conley/Graves,Elieser,Nicolino,Smith
                        AAA-Alcantara/Gallen/Peters/Richards/Turner
                        AA-Neidert/Merandy/Lopez/Yamamoto/Poteet/Meyer
                        A-Guzman/Beggs/Clark/Brandon Miller/Duval/Dugger/Kolek
                        A-Rogers/Cabrera/Castano/Guenther/Remey Reed/Braley

Not counting guys coming off DL
                        I think Peters opens in the majors as he has nothing left to prove in the minors imo. Other than that I agree. Merandy Gonzalez may be the most underrated pitcher in our system. I think he could end up being the best of the crew.

Comment

• The issue with the moves we've done is we now have pitching depth but they aren't top end guys (and the top end potential guys are a while off). Lots of quantity but the quality is just ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                            I think Peters opens in the majors as he has nothing left to prove in the minors imo. Other than that I agree. Merandy Gonzalez may be the most underrated pitcher in our system. I think he could end up being the best of the crew.

O i agree but if u keep him down till May it delays clock and he just steps into Chen's spot when he goes out

Comment

O i agree but if u keep him down till May it delays clock and he just steps into Chen's spot when he goes out
                              This.

I did it before somewhere, but I think Brinson is May 8th, Anderson/Peters/Alcantara May 14th, and Sierra May 25th (give or take a day or two for all of them) for the service time clock. Call them up after those dates and they preserve 2024 club control. Keep them all down.

Comment

This.

I did it before somewhere, but I think Brinson is May 8th, Anderson/Peters/Alcantara May 14th, and Sierra May 25th (give or take a day or two for all of them) for the service time clock. Call them up after those dates and they preserve 2024 club control. Keep them all down.
                                Yeah for just 2 months in a lost season it makes all the sense in the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X