Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
    With all the other trades in the books they really have to concentrate on getting someone of quality. Realmuto shouldn't be a salary dump to add depth. My god why are they so adamant about having to trade everyone right now. If they settle for this they will never have any negotiating power with other teams as long as this cheap ass group owns the team. No one will ever cave to their demands and just wait for them to take whatever they are offered. Frisaro and Hill will talk up whatever comes back as the greatest haul ever.
    Because they don't want this to go on all year. They wanna make deals and start the process to get guys set for 2020/21. They know they will suck in 2018 and 2019 and are happy to tank/get impact guys in the draft. If JT would have signed an extension and not asked for a trade he wouldn't even be on the block

They would love a team like Texas or Houston to offer a deal for JT but nothing has happened

As for other guys if u are older(30 or so) by 2020 they are happy to talk about u. Its about getting talent for then not now. Bour,Bearclaw,DD,Straily all can be had. Ziegler,Castro,Tazawa,Prado,other vets they sign that look good will be gone by deadline if they get any offer

Miami is looking to do what Milwaukee did this offseason. Have young guys play then in 2021/2022 be able to sign/trade for guys to fill in the spots needed(This is when the payroll will go up to 100 million)
    Last edited by tjfla; 01-27-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Because they don't want this to go on all year. They wanna make deals and start the process to get guys set for 2020/21. They know they will suck in 2018 and 2019 and are happy to tank/get impact guys in the draft. If JT would have signed an extension and not asked for a trade he wouldn't even be on the block

They would love a team like Texas or Houston to offer a deal for JT but nothing has happened

As for other guys if u are older(30 or so) by 2020 they are happy to talk about u. Its about getting talent for then not now. Bour,Bearclaw,DD,Straily all can be had. Ziegler,Castro,Tazawa,Prado,other vets they sign that look good will be gone by deadline if they get any offer

Miami is looking to do what Milwaukee did this offseason. Have young guys play then in 2021/2022 be able to sign/trade for guys to fill in the spots needed(This is when the payroll will go up to 100 million)
      That's a pretty shitty reason to accept lesser returns for good cheap under control major league players. If they are going to accept lesser returns anyhow why aren't they attaching Tazawa, Ziegler, or Castro? With the talent they are getting back I don't see 20/21 as being when they will bounce back it's going to be much farther away then that. Realmuto is still under control for 3 years everyone seems to act like that's nothing and they shouldn't get back a good return.

I am not saying they should never trade him but wait until there is more interest either at the trade deadline or due to injury and maximize the return don't settle for minor league filler

I have a feeling the Marlins are always going to have to overpay to acquire talent from other and undersell to move players and that sucks big time.

What happens if the team is historically bad the next few seasons the tv contract isn't what they expect and attendance is even lower then it has been do you really expect this group to sign any players? If this happens they will continue this trend trade everyone away again and start over. Honestly that is what I expect to happen and the reason why I am so critical of these crappy returns in trades. I don't see anyone right now that will make an impact at the major league level. Collecting minor league talent that is a little better then what you have is nice but are they banking on getting any impact talent from the draft alone?

Comment

That's a pretty shitty reason to accept lesser returns for good cheap under control major league players. If they are going to accept lesser returns anyhow why aren't they attaching Tazawa, Ziegler, or Castro? With the talent they are getting back I don't see 20/21 as being when they will bounce back it's going to be much farther away then that. Realmuto is still under control for 3 years everyone seems to act like that's nothing and they shouldn't get back a good return.

I am not saying they should never trade him but wait until there is more interest either at the trade deadline or due to injury and maximize the return don't settle for minor league filler

I have a feeling the Marlins are always going to have to overpay to acquire talent from other and undersell to move players and that sucks big time.

What happens if the team is historically bad the next few seasons the tv contract isn't what they expect and attendance is even lower then it has been do you really expect this group to sign any players? If this happens they will continue this trend trade everyone away again and start over. Honestly that is what I expect to happen and the reason why I am so critical of these crappy returns in trades. I don't see anyone right now that will make an impact at the major league level. Collecting minor league talent that is a little better then what you have is nice but are they banking on getting any impact talent from the draft alone?
        Well lucky not many people agree with u on that. Why will it be longer than 2020? ALL the guys they have gotten will be 23 or older in 2020 and be up in the majors. Will they probably suck in 2020 and 2021 YES but would be a 65-70 Win team with 40 million to spend in FA

Let me ask u this. What happens if a mad JT who don't give a shit hits .230 with 30 RBI's and plays OK defense?? Do u think he will still bring the same value? They are trying to cash on these guys now and get guys in the system for the plan.

I love how guys are minor league filler unless u see them ranked on MLB.com. Kieboom was a Top 100 guy last offseason but got hurt and didnt play tons LY(Same with Isan Diaz).If both of these guys play without injury they will be Top 100 guys by midseason. Same with Juan Soto-people are acting like he is just another OF. If he doesn't get hurt LY and plays the full year as a 18 yr old in A Ball he is likely a Top 20 Prospect in ALL of baseball
        Last edited by tjfla; 01-27-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

This. All 29 other teams know all you have to do when talking trades with us, you just have to wait ya out and we’ll cave. It’s not we set our line in the sand and don’t budge. We set our line, and the other team sets there’s way lower and we keep coming down to facilitate a deal whether we need to or not.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Well lucky not many people agree with u on that. Why will it be longer than 2020? ALL the guys they have gotten will be 23 or older in 2020 and be up in the majors. Will they probably suck in 2020 and 2021 YES but would be a 65-70 Win team with 40 million to spend in FA

Let me ask u this. What happens if a mad JT who don't give a shit hits .230 with 30 RBI's and plays OK defense?? Do u think he will still bring the same value? They are trying to cash on these guys now and get guys in the system for the plan.

I love how guys are minor league filler unless u see them ranked on MLB.com. Kieboom was a Top 100 guy last offseason but got hurt and didnt play tons LY(Same with Isan Diaz).If both of these guys play without injury they will be Top 100 guys by midseason. Same with Juan Soto-people are acting like he is just another OF. If he doesn't get hurt LY and plays the full year as a 18 yr old in A Ball he is likely a Top 20 Prospect in ALL of baseball
          So we trade him just because?

Comment

• Will they have money to spend I am not sure they will. We honestly don't know that this group will be willing to spend any money. With so much focus so far on reducing the payroll who says they will ever want to spend?

Then he screws himself as well. If they want to capitalize then they should wait. They have weeks until players show up and even longer until the season starts someone will get injured or a team will look to improve. Why take whatever they are offered and not get a decent return? Trading him for lesser prospects makes no sense either.

Do you see any of these guys they have gotten as being above average major leaguers? I mean Brinson at best if everthing clicks could be a right handed Yelich yet he is only 2 years younger then him. I don't go by the ranking I look at the stats they have put up in the minors. As far so Soto if they don't even get him back for Realmuto then the trade should not happen. I think Kieboom's ranking had as much to do with where he was drafted as when Kolek was a top prospect. Kieboom is not a centerpiece to a trade for JT thats for sure.

Comment

Will they have money to spend I am not sure they will. We honestly don't know that this group will be willing to spend any money. With so much focus so far on reducing the payroll who says they will ever want to spend?

Then he screws himself as well. If they want to capitalize then they should wait. They have weeks until players show up and even longer until the season starts someone will get injured or a team will look to improve. Why take whatever they are offered and not get a decent return? Trading him for lesser prospects makes no sense either.

Do you see any of these guys they have gotten as being above average major leaguers? I mean Brinson at best if everthing clicks could be a right handed Yelich yet he is only 2 years younger then him. I don't go by the ranking I look at the stats they have put up in the minors. As far so Soto if they don't even get him back for Realmuto then the trade should not happen. I think Kieboom's ranking had as much to do with where he was drafted as when Kolek was a top prospect. Kieboom is not a centerpiece to a trade for JT thats for sure.
              Agreed Kieboom as centerpiece is a bad deal. All I am saying is the FO doesn't seem to care about rankings or what fans think. They are sticking to their scouting and going with what they want with an eye to 2020. At this point in time they are only talking to 1 team about JT and the talks are very serious(what I was told)

They were never getting Robles but if they do stick to guns I could see Soto,Kieboom,Catcher and more in a deal

I am with u guys in NOT trading JT but the fact is they tried to sign him and the response was I am requesting a trade. They want to start this rebuild now and not have to deal with stuff next year. What should they do? Hold onto him and hope he doesn't suck or get hurt and his value gets worse?

Comment

• Prove that they offered him an extension and provide details of the contract offered.

Comment

• They are taking huge risk with some of the prospects they are getting back too. They should be willing to hold onto players if needed. So far this offseason they have focused on moving one player at a time and then moving on to the next. If they have supposedly been not wanting to discuss deals until they a trade player then why are they in such a hurry to move the next one immediately? Once these players start signing teams are going to react and makes moves accordingly wouldn't it be a smart move to at least wait until then before hurrying to move their best remaining player? Moving Realmuto for Keiboom now would be stupid. Sure you risk injury or bad play but he still has 3 years to get his value back up and I would bet they would be able to do better then him.
                  Last edited by flamarlins93; 01-27-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• The quantity over quality argument is laughable. When you have an asset like Realmuto, going with "quantity" means not taking an elite prospect like Robles or Guerrero, instead taking a bunch of other good prospects. The Nationals don't have a bunch of good prospects after Robles and Soto. This isn't a team like Atlanta with a bunch of good prospects. Because of that, trading with them gives you a bunch of mediocre prospects. Guys that probably will never be anything better than simply above average, but also may never even make it to the majors. That shouldn't be appealing in any way. Also, the Marlins no longer need quantity. They have already added a bunch of prospects. They're going to add more when they inevitably move their second tier players like Castro, Straily, and Bour. Taking this approach on a Realmuto return is flat out stupid. There is no defending it.

Oh, and it's also complete bullshit. All we've heard is it was Robles or nothing. 1 for 1. That's quality. Then they tried for Soto supposedly. Only after being rebuffed are we hearing about this quantity over quality BS in this trade.
                    Last edited by sports24/7; 01-27-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Alcantara and Guzman neither one made the mlb pipeline top 100. Concerns that they would most likely both end up as relievers. It looks like the team may only have 2 top 100 prospect for those who care about rankings.
                      Last edited by flamarlins93; 01-27-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Not much into fan sites but confused as to why we haven't tried to make a deal with Colorado. JT/RP/Bour? They have tons of nice prospects

https://roxpile.com/2018/01/28/hey-m...e-justin-bour/

In fans hate Jeter news. If Glavine/Romney group bought the team they were gonna do the same thing

As it turns out, had Glavine & Co. purchased the team, they would have operated similarly to how Sherman and Jeter have. Glavine told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that his faction was “of the same mind-set as to the moves that had to be made to get payroll under control.”

In fact ALL 3 groups had the same plan only difference was Jorge Mas would have spent 300 million on Manny Machado as a FA in 2019

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                        Alcantara and Guzman neither one made the mlb pipeline top 100. Concerns that they would most likely both end up as relievers. It looks like the team may only have 2 top 100 prospect for those who care about rankings.
                        Again with the Rankings HAHA Carter Kieboom "ranked" #90 btw
                        Last edited by tjfla; 01-28-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Not much into fan sites but confused as to why we haven't tried to make a deal with Colorado. JT/RP/Bour? They have tons of nice prospects

https://roxpile.com/2018/01/28/hey-m...e-justin-bour/

In fans hate Jeter news. If Glavine/Romney group bought the team they were gonna do the same thing

As it turns out, had Glavine & Co. purchased the team, they would have operated similarly to how Sherman and Jeter have. Glavine told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that his faction was “of the same mind-set as to the moves that had to be made to get payroll under control.”

In fact ALL 3 groups had the same plan only difference was Jorge Mas would have spent 300 million on Manny Machado as a FA in 2019

- - - - - - - - - -

Again with the Rankings HAHA Carter Kieboom "ranked" #90 btw
                          I agree things had to change but this current group has done a terrible job going about it. The only thing they have done a good job at is pissing of the players an fans. Why couldn't have Jeter met or called the players? Also underselling and the way he has been acquiescing to players who wanted to be traded doesn't really help this team in any way. Especially if they asked publicly.

I know the rankings don't mean anything I just found it funny that someone asked about those two and the reason they weren't ranked higher is because of the belief that they will both end up in the pen.

Comment

• Went aaway for the weekend and it seemed like JT was getting close to being traded. Seems to have cooled down some now. Hope it picks back up. Soto and Kieboom/Fedde + another prospect. Take it and run.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              Went aaway for the weekend and it seemed like JT was getting close to being traded. Seems to have cooled down some now. Hope it picks back up. Soto and Kieboom/Fedde + another prospect. Take it and run.
                              It has because Washington proposal is Kieboom/Fedde/Catcher and more. They will NOT include Soto or Robles. They are still talking but not a serious as Friday/Sat

Surprised that Arizona,Texas,Houston,Colorado haven't jumped in and had serious talks with us for him
                              Last edited by tjfla; 01-30-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

It has because Washington proposal is Kieboom/Fedde/Catcher and more. They will NOT include Soto or Robles. They are still talking but not a serious as Friday/Sat

Surprised that Arizona,Texas,Houston,Colorado haven't jumped in and had serious talks with us for him
                                If that is the offer, they are better off holding on to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X