No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever they do the fact is they are seriously talking with Washington about JT at this moment

I dont expect Robles but Juan Soto yes

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Whatever they do the fact is they are seriously talking with Washington about JT at this moment
      Division rival, fuck them as hard as possible. Make it hurt. At least we don't see Yelich or Ozuna 19 times a year, or Stanton ever.

Comment

• Who are some of the pitching prospects we might go after in a JT deal to washington?

I expect Soto, Kieboom, one of the catchers, and a low level pitcher.

I doubt they give up Fedde as well in that deal.

- - - - - - - - - -

At catcher, Raudy Read looks a hell of a lot better than severino. Id be really happy to see him as the C in the deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          Who are some of the pitching prospects we might go after in a JT deal to washington?

I expect Soto, Kieboom, one of the catchers, and a low level pitcher.

I doubt they give up Fedde as well in that deal.
          I would expect Kieboom OR Fedde. I havent heard exact names since my buddy is off from work this week. Like said during winter meetings they made us an offer of Soto,Taylor,Kieboom and Severino as a counter to Robles but we said NO at the time

Read is hell of a lot better which is why they offer Severino. Severino is career backup defense C but gives us something to replace JT

No clue Washington best arms are Fedde,Romero,Crowe and then big drop off. They dont seem to be caring bats or arms-key is talent!!
          Last edited by tjfla; 01-26-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I would expect Kieboom OR Fedde. I havent heard exact names since my buddy is off from work this week. Like said during winter meetings they made us an offer of Soto,Taylor,Kieboom and Severino as a counter to Robles but we said NO at the time

Read is hell of a lot better which is why they offer Severino. Severino is career backup defense C but gives us something to replace JT

No clue Washington best arms are Fedde,Romero,Crowe and then big drop off
            If what youre saying about Kieboom not being able to stay at SS is true, i think i go Fedde in that scenario.

Soto, Fedde, Read, + 1 more guy would be a hell of a deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              If what youre saying about Kieboom not being able to stay at SS is true, i think i go Fedde in that scenario.

Soto, Fedde, Read, + 1 more guy would be a hell of a deal.
              Tons of options with Washington. They have 2 big name guys BUT have a variety of stuff at all different levels

They can try to keep Kieboom at SS(They plan on keeping Dunand at SS in Jupiter this year) but he is more suited for 3B as he gets older. Again the FO wants talent they aren't looking at positions.

Comment

Tons of options with Washington. They have 2 big name guys BUT have a variety of stuff at all different levels

They can try to keep Kieboom at SS(They plan on keeping Dunand at SS in Jupiter this year) but he is more suited for 3B as he gets older. Again the FO wants talent they aren't looking at positions.
                Im cool with that plan, I just think Kieboom loses a ton of value to me if his bat is at 3b as opposed to SS. So that's something they need to be really confident in before they trade for him. Dunand at SS isnt gonna work i dont think. We lack anything in the way of 1b prospects so Dunand there eventually wouldnt surprise me. His bat would profile there really well i think. He's obviously barely played in the minors so far though so we'll see what happens with him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Id be interested in Lou's opinion on getting Soto and Fedde + for JT. I know he wanted pitching in the Yelich deal and wants Robles, but id like your opinion on that kind of deal.

Comment

• Severino can’t hit, but isn’t he really good defensively supposedly? Wouldn’t mind him as the worst player in the deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    Severino can’t hit, but isn’t he really good defensively supposedly? Wouldn’t mind him as the worst player in the deal.
                    I wouldnt mind him either, but id hope the point of him would be as a long term backup C and not the long term plan as starting C. I hate that style player as an everyday guy at any position. I dont think any player's defense can be valuable to the point where you can survive giving a guy 500+ ab's when they cant OPS .650. It's why Hech always drove me crazy despite his glove. My ideal lineup is 8 guys who can OPS above .700 at least

Im looking more into Read and the bat looks good given what he just did in AA, but i didnt realize he is 24. He has hit pretty well at every level but i wonder how much of that is being older than the competition. I like his power from the catcher position though.

- - - - - - - - - -

Reading that the Nats are also interested in Arrieta. Good lord how much more starting pitching does that team need. That would be unreal. Crazy and kind of unfair theyve never made it out of the division series. Wish the division series would go to 7 games.

Comment

• I mean I don't know their farm in depth, but looking at this, https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...pects-for-2018

Soto, Fedde/Kieboom(if he can stay at SS only), pick a C+ catcher Read/Severino/Gushue, and pick a C+ pitcher seems about right on paper. Robles is a bit much unless the Marlins are kicking in something else valuable for contending right now (Bour, Barraclough, etc.)

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        I mean I don't know their farm in depth, but looking at this, https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...pects-for-2018

Soto, Fedde/Kieboom(if he can stay at SS only), pick a C+ catcher Read/Severino/Gushue, and pick a C+ pitcher seems about right on paper. Robles is a bit much unless the Marlins are kicking in something else valuable for contending right now (Bour, Barraclough, etc.)
                        thanks for that link. Hadnt read that and i love sickels work. Adding Barraclough in a nationals deal would make a ton of sense too given their bullpen issues. Dont know if theres anything to it, but it would make sense.

- - - - - - - - - -

Here is Sickels on Read and Severino

10) Raudy Read, C, Grade B-/C+: Age 24, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2011; hit .265/.312/.455 with 17 homers, 27 walks, 79 strikeouts in 411 at-bats in Double-A, went 3-for-11 in the majors; power developing nicely though he likely needs Triple-A time to refine the zone; good defensive tools with strong arm, mobility, but still needs more polish; threw out 31% of runners; has shown improved blocking skills but still vulnerable to some passed balls and errors, though he’s made enough progress that a position switch is not necessary. ETA 2018.
                        14) Pedro Severino, C, Grade C+: Age 24, signed from Dominican in 2010; hit .242/.291/.332 with five homers, 15 walks, 43 strikeouts in 211 at-bats; hit .172/.226/.207 in 29 major league at-bats; draws raves for defense with cannon arm and excellent receiving skills; physically strong guy who looks like he should hit for power but has never done so; shaky plate discipline a handicap; I still think he might hit adequately eventually and glove will keep him in the majors long enough for us to find out if the bat can come around; should have long career as reserve even if the bat doesn’t bloom. ETA 2018.
                        and here's another C that no one has said anything about but i saw on sickels list
                        15) Taylor Gushue, C, Grade C+: Age 24, fourth round pick of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2014 from University of Florida; traded to Nationals in 2016; hit .241/.327/.437 with 18 homers, 41 walks, 88 strikeouts in 323 at-bats in High-A; threw out 33% of runners; solid-average defense with reasonable mobility, blocking, throwing, leadership; switch-hitter with power and patience but hasn’t hit for average and has been old for his leagues; he’s been a bit disappointing considering his college reputation but there are enough skills here that he must be tracked. ETA 2019.
                        - - - - - - - - - -

Dont know if this was posted already but sickels also just updated his marlins top prospects list after the Yelich deal

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...pects-for-2018

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          I mean I don't know their farm in depth, but looking at this, https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...pects-for-2018

Ya this is why people think it might get done quick. Makes alot of sense and framework is pretty much done already

Some in MLB think Soto is a Top 5 MLB prospect if he can stay healthy. Can hit,power should come but is stuck in RF
                          Last edited by tjfla; 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Ya this is why people think it might get done quick. Makes alot of sense and framework is pretty much done already

Some in MLB think Soto is a Top 5 MLB prospect if he can stay healthy. Can hit,power should come but is stuck in RF
                            Soto's hit tool appears to be insane. Him being in RF or LF isnt a problem considering how many CF type guys we've gotten. I actually like Soto in that I think he would be our best future power hitter. Would mesh well with Sierra's speed and defense if he works out, Harrison's all around game, and Brinson appears to be more of an all around player than a pure power hitter.

- - - - - - - - - -

18) Trevor Richards, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, signed as undrafted free agent in 2016 out of independent Frontier League, posted 2.53 ERA in 146 innings between High-A and Double-A, 158/30 K/BB, 121 hits; all stats impressive; fastball around 90, mixes in plus change-up, mediocre breaking ball; relies on command and deception and it work so far; maximal outcome: Kyle Hendricks; keep an eye on him. ETA 2018.
                            This bolded part from Sickels caught my eye.

Comment

• 2018 Coaching Staff

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-ann...el/c-265389148

Comment

• I'd only deal Realmuto to the Nats if Robles is in the deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X