Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dim View Post
    That shows confidence in your organization's plans.

"Hey, you better accept this trade. Otherwise you're gonna be stuck with US for the rest of your career. MWUAHAHAHAHA."

- - - - - - - - - -

All these stories just seem to confirm how poorly the Marlins handled this situation. There were scenarios where the team could've traded Stanton, gotten a nice enough return and consulted Stanton enough that he wouldn't be smack talking the new management team on his way out. But here we are.
    The scenarios were St Louis(STANTON Vetoed),SF(STANTON Vetoed),NYY. I love how Stanton is the good guy in this. The guy said no to 2 trades because he wanted to be in NYY or LA. He didnt care if Miami got fair value or anything as long as he got to go there

Comment

• Stanton literally confirmed in his press conference today that he told the Marlins where he would approve. SF and STL weren't on the list and they still tried to push him to those teams. He said he almost got to a point where he was going to release the list of teams publicly if they tried that again.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        And youre gonna wonder why jeter stops trying to explain the moves when you twist it like that. It's not "youre gonna be stuck with us," it's "you told us you didnt want to rebuild, we're rebuilding no matter what, do what helps us both out and move on to these deals we like."
        Well Stanton did say he would stay but we had to add more pitching. So 140 million plus another 30 for more pitching. 170 million payroll. If he says that to NYY or any other team they just go to there minors-not Miami

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          Stanton literally confirmed in his press conference today that he told the Marlins where he would approve. SF and STL weren't on the list and they still tried to push him to those teams. He said he almost got to a point where he was going to release the list of teams publicly if they tried that again.
          Yeah the new front office showed open disdain for him in this process.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            The scenarios were St Louis(STANTON Vetoed),SF(STANTON Vetoed),NYY. I love how Stanton is the good guy in this. The guy said no to 2 trades because he wanted to be in NYY or LA. He didnt care if Miami got fair value or anything as long as he got to go there
            Yep let's crucify the guy for saying no to trades with his NO-TRADE clause he negotiated into his contract. How do you not understand this?

Comment

Stanton literally confirmed in his press conference today that he told the Marlins where he would approve. SF and STL weren't on the list and they still tried to push him to those teams. He said he almost got to a point where he was going to release the list of teams publicly if they tried that again.
              Ya that was his approval list. St Louis and SF were on his preferred list but after meeting with them then said they werent on his approval list. Reason why Jeter is so pissed and talked with St Louis and SF. He thought preferred list is where he would go and was told no just where he preferred and then would meet to talk HAHA

Comment

Well Stanton did say he would stay but we had to add more pitching. So 140 million plus another 30 for more pitching. 170 million payroll. If he says that to NYY or any other team they just go to there minors-not Miami
                that's the entire problem that neccessitated this rebuild. We have nothing in the minor leagues because of years of neglect, so we had to sign mediocre free agents like Chen, Volquez, Prado, Ziegler, and Tazawa. that is exactly what made us have to do this rebuild.

Comment

Exactly Mas idea was the same as this. Get rid of all and try signing Manny Machado as a FA

The fact is the team was a 75 win team and unless u are spending more money thats what they would have been this year too
                  Trade Stanton, add Machado is more hopeful than shed as much payroll as possible regardless of the return. If Machado were the plan, that would mean Mas was going to spend money.

Even if this Machado thing weren't true, Mas was the better candidate because he has the money to be a ML owner. The man is a billionaire and has ties to the community. Jeter's group is still looking for investors. I'm not sure how anyone could question the preference to Mas.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                    Trade Stanton, add Machado is more hopeful than shed as much payroll as possible regardless of the return. If Machado were the plan, that would mean Mas was going to spend money.

Even if this Machado thing weren't true, Mas was the better candidate because he has the money to be a ML owner. The man is a billionaire and has ties to the community. Jeter's group is still looking for investors. I'm not sure how anyone could question the preference to Mas.
                    I know one man that preferred Jeter to Mas. Jeff Loria!!!

He was after he traded everyone. All 3 groups wanted to start from the bottom up

Comment

• Random but on the Machado note, my coworker's son played with Machado and Alberto Almora Jr. growing up down here. They are close family friends. They talk about how Manny LOVES Miami and idolizes Jeter. If he ever became a free agent, Miami would literally have to fuck it up (or not have the money which is likely) for him not to end up here.

Comment

• I have no problem with the Marlins trying to strongarm him into accepting a trade to SF, St. L, or wherever if they think they could have gotten a better package.

I also have no problem with Stanton telling them to fuck off and calling their "bluff" that they would keep him if he didn't accept those deals. Happy for him that it worked out in his eyes, even if I am bummed Adams/Sheffield/whatever is not part of the package coming back.

I don't view any of them any more or less for playing their cards. Who cares. It's done.

I'll be much more pissed if they don't trade Ozuna, Castro, Straily, and Bour for more pitching.

Comment

Random but on the Machado note, my coworker's son played with Machado and Alberto Almora Jr. growing up down here. They are close family friends. They talk about how Manny LOVES Miami and idolizes Jeter. If he ever became a free agent, Miami would literally have to fuck it up (or not have the money which is likely) for him not to end up here.
                          he's a free agent next year and is gonna get paid to a contract significantly more than the contract we just had to trade stanton because of.

Comment

he's a free agent next year and is gonna get paid to a contract significantly more than the contract we just had to trade stanton because of.
                            manny machado is going to get 8/233????

Comment

7 of the top 8 prospects in our organization according to mlb.com now are pitchers. 4 of which came into the organization since the draft in june through now.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, i understand devers is young as hell but he is 100% one of the top 30 prospects in this system as of right now.
                              Do you consider Albert Guaimaro one of the top 30 prospects? His and Devers GCL stats this year are virtually the same and they are the same age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                                manny machado is going to get 8/233????
                                more i would think. him and harper are going to make the stanton contract seem normal next offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X