Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Craig Mish‏Verified account @CraigMish ยท 2h2 hours ago

Marlins : Teams told last week Ozuna "unavailable" to drive teams appeal to Stanton to get done first. Source close to Ozuna tells me still would love to stay in Miami despite trades. Yelich ? I'm told not happy.
    All trade options open for both players.

Like said about Yelich they are "listening" to offers on him. Not looking to deal him BUT have already got some interesting and good offers

It would take MORE than Adam Eaton brought-3 Top 100 Prospects and atleast 1 or 2 others OR take a big contract

Ozuna is getting ALOT of feelers(NO surprise) St Louis,LAD,SD,Toronto,Oakland so far

- - - - - - - - - -

Why? The President of Baseball Ops/GM is here to do that

Did David Samson go to the meetings and talk trades/FA signings?
    That's absolutely pathetic. THAT is why people like dim and I aren't excited about/hopeful of this rebuild. That shouldn't even be a consideration. I get that the team is in bad financial shape, but the system sucks. Let's lessen that return just to save more money we won't spend....yet again.

Again, their moves have been:

1) trade a guy to get rid of his contract, include international money (I don't care what year it came from - they could've spent it on some of the Braves guys that were allowed to resign elsewhere, so your "there was nobody left" argument isn't true - now it is, because they didn't try to get any of them).

2) trade the MVP and include a small amount of money - which is offset by Castro's salary - in order to get rid of the contract

What moves are being considered?

Taking our best asset and talking about tying it to a bad contract, to - you guessed it - get rid of the money/contract.

I'm trying to remain hopeful, but it's hard with what we've seen so far - more of the same from the Marlins.

---

And why should Jeter be there/say something?

Uh....we just traded the MVP and face of the franchise for salary relief. How could such a major move NOT warrant some sort of comment from ownership? If that doesn't, then I guess nothing does. As fauowls said, he needs to be out there saying "hey, it hurts, but here's our plan - to do X, Y, Z, and doing that, plus 1, 2, 3, will get us to a strong sustainable core, that we can then compliment with strategic free agent signings when the time is right in 2-3 years. The Marlins franchise is one that needs that sort of public leadership/vision more than any other because of how terribly it was been handled under Loria. Haphazard moves with no plan, and constantly dumping contracts. I realize it's early on in new ownership, but so far, all we've seen is more dumping of contracts, and all Jeter has said is "painful decisions with be made" at the introductory press conference. I'm sorry, that's not good enough.

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    He's the face of a brand new regime. He needs to be there to lay out a plan to the public. Not talking to the media is a Loria move and he needs to make it clear that he's operating in a different fashion. Like I said, he doesn't have to be there every time, but the first big trade? Yeah, he needs to address it publicaly.
    This. Trading the MVP/face of the franchise warrants some sort of public statement/appeal.

Comment

• Mike Hill will say something later on.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        That's absolutely pathetic. THAT is why people like dim and I aren't excited about/hopeful of this rebuild. That shouldn't even be a consideration. I get that the team is in bad financial shape, but the system sucks. Let's lessen that return just to save more money we won't spend....yet again.

Again, their moves have been:

1) trade a guy to get rid of his contract, include international money (I don't care what year it came from - they could've spent it on some of the Braves guys that were allowed to resign elsewhere, so your "there was nobody left" argument isn't true - now it is, because they didn't try to get any of them).

2) trade the MVP and include a small amount of money - which is offset by Castro's salary - in order to get rid of the contract

What moves are being considered?

Taking our best asset and talking about tying it to a bad contract, to - you guessed it - get rid of the money/contract.

I'm trying to remain hopeful, but it's hard with what we've seen so far - more of the same from the Marlins.

---

And why should Jeter be there/say something?

Uh....we just traded the MVP and face of the franchise for salary relief. How could such a major move NOT warrant some sort of comment from ownership? If that doesn't, then I guess nothing does. As fauowls said, he needs to be out there saying "hey, it hurts, but here's our plan - to do X, Y, Z, and doing that, plus 1, 2, 3, will get us to a strong sustainable core, that we can then compliment with strategic free agent signings when the time is right in 2-3 years. The Marlins franchise is one that needs that sort of public leadership/vision more than any other because of how terribly it was been handled under Loria. Haphazard moves with no plan, and constantly dumping contracts. I realize it's early on in new ownership, but so far, all we've seen is more dumping of contracts, and all Jeter has said is "painful decisions with be made" at the introductory press conference. I'm sorry, that's not good enough.

This. Trading the MVP/face of the franchise warrants some sort of public statement/appeal.
        So u want him to hold a press conference and tell the casual fan we are gonna suck for 2 years because our TV deal sucks and we are losing tons of cash right now? Ya he won't get even more hate mail for that

Painful decisions will be made and we have to build the system from the ground up

As for the IFA,I am with u I wish we would have signed some of those guys however u do realize most of these guys have trainers who are in with certain teams right? Some teams already have used all their money for 2018 actually(Shit Atlanta got nailed for already having a deal with a 14 yr old) This is why Denbo was trying to get Gordon Blakeley-he has relationship with all the trainers in DR. Its hard to do stuff in IFA when you barely have cared about it in years. U gotta upgrade the facility before any trainer cares about a team.
        Last edited by tjfla; 12-11-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

So u want him to hold a press conference and tell the casual fan we are gonna suck for 2 years because our TV deal sucks and we are losing tons of cash right now? Ya he won't get even more hate mail for that

Painful decisions will be made and we have to build the system from the ground up

As for the IFA,I am with u I wish we would have signed some of those guys however u do realize most of these guys have trainers who are in with certain teams right? Some teams already have used all their money for 2018 actually(Shit Atlanta got nailed for already having a deal with a 14 yr old) This is why Denbo was trying to get Gordon Blakeley-he has relationship with all the trainers in DR. Its hard to do stuff in IFA when you barely have cared about it in years. U gotta upgrade the facility before any trainer cares about a team
          How about having a press conference to tell the fans your plan because if not you'll continue to get torn apart (maybe unfairly) in the media? Defend yourself and the organization. It's early and perception matters. Not to mention, they have the benefit of being able to blame Loria...it's a get out of jail free card on these moves...use it to your advantage.

Comment

• Enjoy day guys. I am headed off to Winter Meetings-no worries I wont mention anything

Again if anyone wants to see Mike Hill. Park at Boardwalk and walk around

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
              How about having a press conference to tell the fans your plan because if not you'll continue to get torn apart (maybe unfairly) in the media? Defend yourself and the organization. It's early and perception matters. Not to mention, they have the benefit of being able to blame Loria...it's a get out of jail free card on these moves...use it to your advantage.
              Jeter and company have already explained what the plan is.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                i do agree about the PR stuff, but to act like he wouldnt also get torn to shreds by saying the organization is losing millions and needs to fully rebuild and sell of assets is not realistic. he's kind of in a no win situation which is why i dont mind him not talking to the media even though i think its probably not the worst thing he could do.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  i do agree about the PR stuff, but to act like he wouldnt also get torn to shreds by saying the organization is losing millions and needs to fully rebuild and sell of assets is not realistic. he's kind of in a no win situation which is why i dont mind him not talking to the media even though i think its probably not the worst thing he could do.
                  O he will have a presser but more likely after ALL the deals are done. Stanton isn't the only guy gonna be gone over the next few days

Comment

O he will have a presser but more likely after ALL the deals are done. Stanton isn't the only guy gonna be gone over the next few days
                    Understood, but Jeter needs to get out in front of these stories. Try to change the narrative before this negativity is all people see from you.

- - - - - - - - - -

To be fair, Jeter is apparently going to have a conference call with the media according to Will Manso. So good on him for that.

Comment

• wow, stanton taking some subtle shots at the marlins in his goodbye instagram. Could be construed as shots at Loria moreso than jeter, but could be both.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tim Healey‏Verified account
                      @timbhealey
                      4m4 minutes ago
                      More
                      Derek Jeter said he talked and met in person with Giancarlo Stanton. "There isn't anything I would have done differently throughout this process," Jeter said.
                      Another piece of criticism that wasnt warranted.

- - - - - - - - - -

@timbhealey
                      2m2 minutes ago
                      More
                      Derek Jeter: "It gives us flexibility. ... We're going to invest in building this organization the right way."
                      That is really encouraging.

- - - - - - - - - -

clarkspencer‏Verified account
                      @clarkspencer
                      5s5 seconds ago
                      More
                      Jeter: "Everyone needs to realize, this is an organization that has not been successful. So if you haven't been winning, you need to make a change. Fans want a team that's going to win."
                      That's gonna be misconstrued, but he's 100% right.

Comment

If Stanton would have accepted the St Louis or SF offer the prospects wouldnt have been that bad. He called NYY and tried to get Adams,Sheffield,or Florial and then pretty much said"Why would we trade u them,u have NO other options"

U can't shit on 2 mid level prospects when Stanton was the guy who rejected the teams that Jeter wanted to trade with because they offered ALOT better prospects
                        We don't actually know what the St. Louis offer was. And Jeter didn't have to trade Stanton at all. We knew they were going to, but they could have at least played the game. The Marlins asked for better prospects, but accepted far lower prospects in a matter of hours. That's poor negotiating. Even if that's what they would have ended up with, at least make an effort. Also, it was reported that part of the reason the Yankees said no on the better prospects was because of the amount of Stanton's contract they were being asked to pick up. This fall in line with a previous report (I think it was Mish) that said Miami's priority is to get rid of as much of the contract as possible, not getting the best prospects possible. That's a Jeter decision.

Comment

• clarkspencer‏Verified account
                          @clarkspencer
                          2m2 minutes ago
                          More
                          Jeter: "From the fans standpoint. I get it. They're upset. But the bottom line is, fans want to see a winning product on the team. In order for us to do this, we're going to have to build this organization. We need to have a strong organization from the bottom up."
                          Another good quote for the fans looking to see the rebuild done right.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                          We don't actually know what the St. Louis offer was. And Jeter didn't have to trade Stanton at all. We knew they were going to, but they could have at least played the game. The Marlins asked for better prospects, but accepted far lower prospects in a matter of hours. That's poor negotiating. Even if that's what they would have ended up with, at least make an effort. Also, it was reported that part of the reason the Yankees said no on the better prospects was because of the amount of Stanton's contract they were being asked to pick up. This fall in line with a previous report (I think it was Mish) that said Miami's priority is to get rid of as much of the contract as possible, not getting the best prospects possible. That's a Jeter decision.
                          because you dont want to be paying a guy millions of dollars 10 years after he no longer plays for you. First, Stanton told jeter he wants to go and presumably every other team knew that. Second, if that's the case, its probably just better to get what you can and move on and trade the actual best assets you have rather than having a public feud with your best player.

- - - - - - - - - -

@timbhealey
                          2m2 minutes ago
                          More
                          Derek Jeter, asked why the Marlins didn't take on more of Stanton's money for better players, deferred to Michael Hill.
                          More evidence jeter isnt making baseball decisions.

- - - - - - - - - -

@timbhealey
                          16s16 seconds ago
                          More
                          Derek Jeter on preaching patience and how patience is hard: "I get the fact that the fans want a team that's going to have an opportunity to win right away...but how this organization has been run has to change."
                          If he sticks to this plan I like the long term future of the organization.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            “Face” of the organization is not a job title.

He’s a minority owner.
                            A minority owner who is the only reason the current administration won the bid for the team. Jeter went through countless dance partners to own this team, was really the only constant throughout the entire sale process. Beat out Miami's own Jorge Mas, much to the chagrin of a lot of us. You don't go through all that, decide to pay yourself $5 million a year and then get to say, "talk to the guys making the decisions, it's not my call." That's horseshit.

Comment

• Tim Healey‏Verified account
                              @timbhealey
                              2m2 minutes ago
                              More
                              Derek Jeter, asked why the Marlins didn't take on more of Stanton's money for better players, deferred to Michael Hill.
                              Everyone knows this is utter bullshit, right? I mean, the guy in charge of everything let Michael Hill determine whether to get better players and pay more rather than take lesser players and pay less? And if that's true (it isn't), it looks even worse for Jeter because Michael Hill should not be making those decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                Everyone knows this is utter bullshit, right? I mean, the guy in charge of everything let Michael Hill determine whether to get better players and pay more rather than take lesser players and pay less? And if that's true (it isn't), it looks even worse for Jeter because Michael Hill should not be making those decisions.
                                I mean, I wouldn't expect Jeter to be an expert on minor league players. My only problem with the comment is that he probably should have deferred to Denbo, who would actually be the most qualified person in the world at the moment to ask about the Yankees farm system.

Comment

Working...
                                X